• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1060 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If Alberto is to win a tappa, he'll do it in a summit sprint within the last km. There's no way he'd risk losing a Giro GC win with a late breakaway with B-class riders or a long solo. His palmares doesn't need stage wins; it's all about GT titles. This Giro will be his 9th, or 7th if you include the asthma DQs.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
...back online after some rest :)

This is the day, when you say yourself 'thank god I'm with this guy if its bad day or good day',cuz this Day certainly makes up for those sad ones.

Big and proud fanboy of legendary Alberto Contador!!! :) VAMOS leyenda :)
And to quote first hillarious post of this famous thread - I love Alberto :D

Re:

sunnyIce said:
What a ride! What a stage. Hopefully someday the entire 'chase' video is on somewhere so I can watch it again.

This was exactly me, when AC was making his comeback. Dayum!

GIFSoup

This is classic!! I can't wait to watch when I get home, provided my dvr has recorded the entire stage instead of, what has often happened, the station decides to change their programming schedule and show soccer or curling or something else!

I definitely wouldn't read too much into that power output on the Mortirolo. He went full gas until he caught Aru, then rested a little, and then again until he reached Kruijswijk, after which Kruijswijk determined the pace. He probably could've gone a little bit faster, but he was perfectly fine reaching the summit in that little group of three. He also put in some effort before the climb (pushing some) and it was still 45km to go when he started the effort.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Also I dont see it mentioned,so our new friends :D...
Thanks to Nocentini, Bongiorno and Anton (maybe more riders) for their help, awesome pulls for AC guys, chapeau :)

Edit: Also Steven, but thats obvious ;)

Really great ride from Alberto today, helped that Landa had to wait for Aru until it was too late but then Astana shouldn't have drilled it at the base of the climb.

It will be interesting how he recovers heading into the Tour, this Giro has been very draining and he will need another super peak to beat Froome, Quintana and Nibali in July.

This Giro has been a gift for Contador, he really hasn't been pushed or tested, physically or mentally. Great set-up for his Tour. He hasn't had to fight much for pink, and it's been a few years since we've seen a real fight.

In 2014, Quintana took pink halfway through, and then simply watched Uran from creeping up, kept him at 2 - 3 minutes all the way home. In 2013, Nibali went into pink very early, and kept an eye on Cadel before he faded.

It was in 2012 that Hesjedal was going to do the same. He took pink in Stage 7, but Purito snatched it by a few seconds in Stage 10. From there until the end, the two really fought for pink, until Ryder took it on the last day.

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I think today Contador showed that he's still the number one in the world when it comes to three week long stage races. I hope he can arrive at the Tour with a good form and recovery. Maybe he's not strong climber as Pantani but he is much more complete as rider. Probably the rider of decade.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If we all look back.. don't you realize that Contador lost almost 1.30 minutes due to his bad luck? was it like 40 something seconds on the road to Jesolo and today 38 seconds? He is still holding the pink jersey due to his ITT performance. And only lost what few seconds due to his leg (stage 15).He clearly has a good form. Hopefully not peak yet.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Iker_Baqueiro said:
I looked in several pages of this thread, but, I have not seen anyone say what I think Contador did at the end. So please chime in or correct me if I'm wrong.

On the last 5 km, I saw Contador talk to Landa. Seconds later, Landa attacks, Contador fakes the he's gonna follow Landa, he does a half ass run for him. Contador sits down. I think Contador played Chess there, he calculated that letting Landa attack from there would give Landa just enough seconds to overtake the second GC spot over Aru. He is the PATRON of the Giro. He dictated who's gonna be second.

In one post race interview, in italian, they ask Landa: Contador talked to you? didn't he? Landa responded "no", but, I could tell by his gestures he was lying (an expert in facial gestures please clarify).

There's camarederie. Igor Anton Hernandez paced Contador for a good stretch. Maybe Contador payed it forward to Landa.

What you guys think?

I definitely agree there was a spanish Armada connection. AC was in red, Landa has great respect for AC and did not know what exactly to do, can I attack AC? He also felt what his team did to his great country man was a below the belt move, they did make some sort of agreement for Landa to shoot ahead. I found it baffling the way Landa spilled the beans after the race that Astana knew what they were doing.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
Given the fact that Contador was faster on the climbs today than Landa, it's obvious who the best climber is, no?

logically yes. But some people will say... oh that's because Landa is dragging Aru. If he is riding for himself, he could have gotten to 2 minutes... (dunno where they got the number, but that would be their claim)

for me the fact that he has to chase alone in the mountain, and put more time to the closes rider in GC. That shows he is the best climber. I doubt that Landa can win the stage today if they started on equal footing. But we don't know that either.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
LaFlorecita said:
I cannot see Alberto take a stage win tbh (and he said it's not his goal)
I think he'll be limiting his losses from now on. Landa will attack him whenever he can.

as long as astana plays fair and not riding full gas when Contador got mechanical, I don't mind. Contador has the shape to match Landa. We just didn't get a chance to show it today. very unfortunate. How do we know? well if contador is in the shape of Aru or in bad shape, he won't be able to chase them in the climb by himself. Also, I don't think Contador will be left on the dust by Landa if they are starting an equal footing.

Why are we so concerned by Contador after chasing down a minute gap almost single handly with two teams going at full speed! then hitting a major mountain as well? Plus the thought of defending the Red jersey, AC must have been mentally tired when he caught up, if he wasn't I would be baffled. An absolutely outstanding work by AC, he just has to recover over the next few days. Without that chase down AC would have arrived on the mountain with a good rhythm and matched Landa, perhaps ridden at a much faster and steady pace. Will Landa crack? yes, it needs a consistent and fast pace. Froome knows how to ride that way. AC is a burst and move guy. But he matched Froome at the Vuelta last year and patiently waited for him to tire out before doing his own burst and move.

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Chapeau, Alberto!

I don't blame Katusha or Astana or whoever for attacking after AC flatted. It's the only way anyone is gonna beat Alberto F. Contador. If it was me, and I wanted to win, I'd attack him when he flats, when he crashes, when he calls for a nature break - anything, because those chances are few and they are what anyone can hope for. Alberto has had bad luck. He probably has had the worst luck of anyone within 30 minutes of him (I am making this up, but it smells about right) and he is still 4:00 ahead of the nearest pretenders.

The goal is the double. I hope Alberto rides defensively, limits his losses to the pretenders (as if), treats the last week like a quality training bloc, kicks the *** out of everyone at Le Tour, and then goes on to win the MF Triple. He doesn't need a stage win - he didn't get one in 2008 either, but everyone knows who crushed the *** out of the field on Mt Etna, even if it was stricken because clinic.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
perico said:
He'll be ready for the Tour. 2011 was just a weird year for him as he was having to play catchup. There is only one person who can realistically beat an in form Pistolero, and Alberto knows what he's doing this time around.

Fastest time on Mortiloro (today), despite the huge chasing. That was pretty impressive.
Hopefully there won't be anymore bad luck, no crashes, flats etc.

Reckon Froome won't sleep in the RV :)

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Really great ride from Alberto today, helped that Landa had to wait for Aru until it was too late but then Astana shouldn't have drilled it at the base of the climb.

It will be interesting how he recovers heading into the Tour, this Giro has been very draining and he will need another super peak to beat Froome, Quintana and Nibali in July.

Everything Sky and their staff and riders have said, suggests Sky's training essentially involves ride every day as hard as possible until you can't anymore.

Now that Contador has all of SKy's old staff, the training is probably the exact same thing.

So doing the Giro really isn't that much different from what he would be doing anyway, as training, nor from what Froome and probably Quintana and Nibali will be doing as training. He just gets the chance to win a gt in the process.

Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
Pricey_sky said:

Everything Sky and their staff and riders have said, suggests Sky's training essentially involves ride every day as hard as possible until you can't anymore.

Now that Contador has all of SKy's old staff, the training is probably the exact same thing.

So doing the Giro really isn't that much different from what he would be doing anyway, as training, nor from what Froome and probably Quintana and Nibali will be doing as training. He just gets the chance to win a gt in the process.

Yes I agree, although of course there is much less pressure in a block of training than a GT ride. It also seems as though its been much more low key from Quintana and Froome this year as they build towards their best shape in July, Nibali of course did the same last year.

There's no doubting the double can be done by Contador, I just think it will be a big struggle against those competitors this year.

I finally watched the stage.......

It was poetry on the bicycle...

Contador just pulled a masterpiece with that performance-the Mortirolo recovery was truly impressive-something not seen in recent years- perhaps a reminiscence of Pantani's 99 Oropa stage without the victory, but still-just beautiful to observe how he was picking up riders along the climb until catching his enemies, just to drop them later with such grace.....

perhaps not the time to say this but, the void that Alberto will leave when he retires is enormous, considering the legendary moments he has brought to the sport like this Aprica stage....

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Yep, I thought about it too, he will be remembered for this moments maybe more than the actual GT wins.Such unforgettable stages, (any others btw?)

Peyresourde - Verbier - Etna - Fuente De - Lanciano - Mortirolo

Re:

Pretty awesome when he rode up behind (i think it was) Nocentini who just looks back, no words being spoken, and starts to ride hard knowing what he have to do. Same goes with Anton who rode so furious that he at one point dropped a pacing Alberto, without paying attention to his own Amador.

Poetic moment only cycling can delivers. If you are a good ruler you will have plenty of friends. Aru thought the only thing he needed was Astana and Landa. A mistake punished with an iron fist.

TRENDING THREADS