Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1062 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
I have to put this in here. I like to read every single news I can find about anything in men road cycling. But I rarely encounter any articles that Brailsford ever mention Contador's name (even when his rider is against Contador) and let alone say something remotely like a praise. I thought he just didn't want to acknowledge Contador's skill and talent because of Contador's past history. But today .. I found this.

What Contador did yesterday was phenomenal and sometimes you have to stand back and say he’s one of the best stage racers of our generation and when he rode like he did yesterday you have to just admire it.
this kind of sum it up :D Considering his plan B rider had to hang on the car to survive Mortirilo what contador did yesterday.. simply.. majestic

Mar 13, 2015
Yeah, Sir Dave said he is one of the best stage racers of his generation, but he is wrong, he is THE BEST, and by far

Jul 29, 2012
Re:

Mr.White said:
Yeah, Sir Dave said he is one of the best stage racers of his generation, but he is wrong, he is THE BEST, and by far
He was pretty disrespectful and just factually incorrect.

Contador is by far the best stage racer of this generation. No denying that.

May 27, 2015
I wonder if Contador will take Aru's attack on steep hills seriously anymore considering how Aru performed on Mortirolo. Contador knows he can break Aru right now if he chooses to do so.
I think Contador will be focused on Landa only during rest of the Giro.

Jul 19, 2010
Jspear said:
No_Balls said:
Yeh. Whats this sudden love affair about? Froome giving sympathy to Alberto after Aprica-gate and Sir Dave lavishes praise over Alberto and Oleg of all people.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/brailsford-its-not-fair-to-write-off-porte-after-giro-ditalia-disappointment

Strange times.
Recently (for around a year or so) Froome has been very respectful to AC imo...I think AC has brought him back down to where he belongs. :)
Froome was disrespectful w/ his coffee remark on his book after his 2013 TDF win. And I started to hate that guy. But things are different. I noticed that Froome's first nice gesture when he tweeted to Contador about seeing him in Vuelta. Then I started reading nice exchange between Contador and Froome in the media. Contador even said that he was the hardest rival he ever faced on his career (b/c andy) that froome is the benchmark etc, etc. Since then, they have been respectful to each other and that when I stop hating Froome. :D

It's beyond me how people see something disrespectful in the coffee comment.

It's hilarious at most. The fact that Froome has Contador so much in his thoughts during a training ride just to motivate him to train harder says enough. It tells us that Contador is his biggest challenger and he fears/respects Contador the most.

Jul 19, 2010
Re:

Kwibus said:

It's hilarious at most. The fact that Froome has Contador so much in his thoughts during a training ride just to motivate him to train harder says enough. It tells us that Contador is his biggest challenger and he fears/respects Contador the most.
it's not disrespectful in a way like you called name to some one. Maybe it's not the right word. But the meaning behind that can be interpreted as Contador doesn't work hard in training since he spend most his time drinking coffee during training compare to Froome's training regime. That's what strike a cord to some people (maybe not you). Calling Contador lazy rider who trains around his coffee pitstop is just plain arrogant. That's all.

Re:

Kwibus said:

It was not just the coffee comment, it was the coffee comment in the context of all other comments about Contador in Mein Climb.
Contador the tactically inept, chain lubing, coffee drinking, downhill attacking amigo.

Aug 4, 2010
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Kwibus said:

It was not just the coffee comment, it was the coffee comment in the context of all other comments about Contador in Mein Climb.
Contador the tactically inept, chain lubing, coffee drinking, downhill attacking amigo.
Lol :D

btw Thanks for inside info Carol. :)

Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
Kwibus said:

it's not disrespectful in a way like you called name to some one. Maybe it's not the right word. But the meaning behind that can be interpreted as Contador doesn't work hard in training since he spend most his time drinking coffee during training compare to Froome's training regime. That's what strike a cord to some people (maybe not you). Calling Contador lazy rider who trains around his coffee pitstop is just plain arrogant. That's all.
It's incredible what that you can hate a rider for making a funny comment. And add to that, that you are putting your label on his words and interpretates them in a way that is really far fetched is kind of telling. Not about what kind of person Froome is, but what kind of fan you are. Die hard fanboy, much?

Aug 31, 2012
There's a lot of offensive material in the book. The Coffee comment is symptomatic. I agree, though, that there isn't much to legitimately get mad about if viewed only through the prism of being a Contador fan.

May 18, 2015
Re:

Jalgratas95 said:
I wonder if Contador will take Aru's attack on steep hills seriously anymore considering how Aru performed on Mortirolo. Contador knows he can break Aru right now if he chooses to do so.
I think Contador will be focused on Landa only during rest of the Giro.
This is the only way to possibly attack Contador. Aru has to go FIRST. Landa is clearly stronger in this race, so if Landa goes first and AC marks him, Aru's follow-up attack will not worry AC so much, nor will Aru be able to sustain his move. If Aru goes first however, and AC marks, Landa's follow-up attacks could create separation between him and Contador. It will be interesting to see if this is how Astana play it. If they team up on Contador, and Aru goes first, then there is a possibility AC can be dropped after repeated attacks. Clearly Tinkov team is pretty bad, and will not be able to control those two, it will be up to Contador himself to fend them off.

May 18, 2015
Re:

Netserk said:
Of course people hate Froome. He is ugly on a bike, has the worst of all partners imaginable and would be the dumbest rider in the peloton if it wasn't for Richie Porte.
Damn, damn, and dayyyyum!!! :D

I think it was all taken out of context and probably made out to be bigger than it was, after all the publishers want people to buy the books!

Froome has said several times he considers Contador his biggest rival and I know Alberto has said the same regarding Froome, I also believe there is a fair amount of respect between the two, both riders wished the other speedy recoveries after crashes last year whilst Froome also defended Contador earlier in the week when Astana forced the pace after Alberto's puncture.

Jelantik said:
I have to put this in here. I like to read every single news I can find about anything in men road cycling. But I rarely encounter any articles that Brailsford ever mention Contador's name (even when his rider is against Contador) and let alone say something remotely like a praise. I thought he just didn't want to acknowledge Contador's skill and talent because of Contador's past history. But today .. I found this.

What Contador did yesterday was phenomenal and sometimes you have to stand back and say he’s one of the best stage racers of our generation and when he rode like he did yesterday you have to just admire it.
this kind of sum it up :D Considering his plan B rider had to hang on the car to survive Mortirilo what contador did yesterday.. simply.. majestic
He's not saying anything that isn't obvious to any fan of the sport. If anything he is not showing enough respect. Contador is THE best stage racer of his generation. Who is even in the same solar system?

Aug 26, 2014
Angliru said:
Jelantik said:

He's not saying anything that isn't obvious to any fan of the sport. If anything he is not showing enough respect. Contador is THE best stage racer of his generation. Who is even in the same solar system?
The words that say it all for me in Brailsford's remark is the 'sometimes' and 'you have to'…The subtext being that the rest of the time you hold another view; that 'you have to stand back' in spite of yourself or your own better judgement.

Still, its progress.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Anybody who knows what Contadors weight is right now? He looked much thinner and sharp in the Tour last year. Just compare the pics, it's really clear especially when you see at the face. But also the body, it looks smaller.

Feb 21, 2014
Re:

rm7 said:
Anybody who knows what Contadors weight is right now? He looked much thinner and sharp in the Tour last year. Just compare the pics, it's really clear especially when you see at the face. But also the body, it looks smaller.
He was a kilo below at the Tour last year, he was at his absolute peak. If he was at the same weight in this Giro, it'd be worrying. The goal is the double, not just the Giro.

He clearly said it just before the Giro started "I'm in good form, I've done a huge amount of kms climbing these 3 weeks (in tenerife) but I'm still a level below the form I had in the Tour last year. Which is good, since I wouldn't be able to hold that peak for Giro and Tour."

I don't know if he'll be in better form at the Tour, but he'll probably look a bit sharper than in this Giro.
And he doesn't look smaller lol, it's probably the black shoes which give you that impression. :p

Jun 9, 2014
his upper body seems to be bigger in this Giro compared to last year's Tour....he is 62 kilos right now and i think he was 60 kilos last year

if he successfully loses that 2 kilos we could see him ride upto a minute faster in the mountains

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS