Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1206 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Re:

cellardoor said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Nice, positive interview on LeMond on Tour. He's very optimistic. The Alps could be great
Jelantik said:
you might get the answer. Contador was interviewed. His answers offered nothing in confidence over his form. He was having a hard time in 1, 2 week. Only said the alps there's a little possibility. So there you go.. looks like the form is .. it is what it is.
Two completely different takes on the same interview?
Forgive me. I don't speak spanish. Just paraphrasing from the English commentator. You might be the correct one. But from what he said, (through translation) - it didn't give me an impression of confidence or nothing to offer as far as form. If I'm wrong, please do correct me.
 
Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
cellardoor said:
BlurryVII said:
Watched the last climb, Contador really isn't getting better at all. Still tilting and all over the place. Even Nibali might be better from now on.

It's incredible how Contador never improves throughout a GT... he always keeps the same form. I think he'll keep losing time in the alps, not as worse as pierre saint martin obviously but you never know.
It's kind of frustrating...he just seems to have mini ups and downs from day to day, but there really isn't any clear sign of overall improvement. I don't think anything spectacular is going to happen in the Alps - he's going for the podium and hoping that TJ and Valverde have a bad day. The most likely scenario is he has a bad day and finishes 5th or 6th, which I know would be welcome by some, but personally I would like to see him on the podium so that his double-attempt can be called a mini-success of sorts.
Podium can't be called mini success. That's still a success. And it's still better than 5th or 6th since he did that already in 2011 w/o preparation. I guess his preparation wasn't the right formula. Came 85/90% to Giro, rest and recovery for 1months, hoping to build the form during the first 2 weeks. But his body has different plan. I just hope that he won't get dropped like 2013... at least hang with TJ/valverde.
I know what you mean, but if the goal is the double then success is achieving the double and nothing less. However, winning the Giro and podiuming the Tour can be considered a respectable attempt, which could lead to others giving it a go (something I'd like to see).
 
Re:

cellardoor said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Nice, positive interview on LeMond on Tour. He's very optimistic. The Alps could be great
Jelantik said:
you might get the answer. Contador was interviewed. His answers offered nothing in confidence over his form. He was having a hard time in 1, 2 week. Only said the alps there's a little possibility. So there you go.. looks like the form is .. it is what it is.
Two completely different takes on the same interview?
He looked and sounded happy enough, not about his form but he said he wants to attack in the Alpes, sounds like he realizes he has made everyone excited about attacks and doesn't want to disappoint the fans :p
 
Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
cellardoor said:
Pantani Attacks said:
Nice, positive interview on LeMond on Tour. He's very optimistic. The Alps could be great
Jelantik said:
you might get the answer. Contador was interviewed. His answers offered nothing in confidence over his form. He was having a hard time in 1, 2 week. Only said the alps there's a little possibility. So there you go.. looks like the form is .. it is what it is.
Two completely different takes on the same interview?
Forgive me. I don't speak spanish. Just paraphrasing from the English commentator. You might be the correct one. But from what he said, (through translation) - it didn't give me an impression of confidence or nothing to offer as far as form. If I'm wrong, please do correct me.
I didn't mean that one or other was right or wrong - just found it interesting that two people interpreted the interview quite differently. One positive / one negative.
 
Jul 1, 2013
1,952
0
0
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Alberto says on Eurosport he tried to attack but got scared after the Thomas crash;
Greg says "you are a real attacker, do you still want to attack?" Alberto hopes he can attack some more in the Alpes;
Greg asks if he is in the same shape as in the Giro, Alberto says no because he didn't have enough time to recover;
Greg asks about team Sky's strength, Alberto says they are super strong, all of them but especially Thomas;
Greg asks is the team happy? Alberto says they are happy so far and Sagan especially has been amazing;
Ashley asks about the Ivan Basso news, Alberto says it was a big shock, he is not just a teammate but also a great friend.
Translation I got was that he said Thomas is strong but they are not all strong.
 
I doubt Contador was going to attack on the descent even without the Barguil incident. He was positioned pretty far back and that actually helped him miss the kamikaze move. Without rain, gaining time on the descent was going to require a gap at the top. When that did not happen after his attack, the best option was to conserve energy and follow wheels to the line. Why he sprinted at the end is the puzzling move, but it might help the morale a bit.
 
Re:

djpbaltimore said:
I doubt Contador was going to attack on the descent even without the Barguil incident. He was positioned pretty far back and that actually helped him miss the kamikaze move. Without rain, gaining time on the descent was going to require a gap at the top. When that did not happen after his attack, the best option was to conserve energy and follow wheels to the line. Why he sprinted at the end is the puzzling move, but it might help the morale a bit.
I don't think he has ever won a sprint before :p he saw an opportunity and grabbed it! :p
 
Re: Re:

BlurryVII said:
Miburo said:
Got better in giro '08, vuelta '14. In other GT's he usually kept the same level, i think he got even better in tour '09 but couldn't show it cause of the leash he was on (you've the ITT though). And in the tour '10 his strongest performance was on the tourmalet.

Watch his GT's more carefully before you call yourself a fan.
Those are slight improvements not significant ones. Given his form at the moment, he would need to be significantly better to finally be able to take time uphill. Not just attack, but sustain it.

But be happy and shut it up, you got what you wanted, exciting stuff ain't it? Struggling Contador, isn't that what you love? Do the happy dance, you'll have a fail show in the alps especially made for you.
No offense , but perhaps you should not look the next stages of you live it so bad. Do you think we are glad to sew him 4 mins behind Froomw and always drop by him? :p
In the coming days it's very likely that Alberto fails on all. But what can we do? Complain and cry all together , thinking Giro or the shape he had in 09 and 14?
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
djpbaltimore said:
I doubt Contador was going to attack on the descent even without the Barguil incident. He was positioned pretty far back and that actually helped him miss the kamikaze move. Without rain, gaining time on the descent was going to require a gap at the top. When that did not happen after his attack, the best option was to conserve energy and follow wheels to the line. Why he sprinted at the end is the puzzling move, but it might help the morale a bit.
I don't think he has ever won a sprint before :p he saw an opportunity and grabbed it! :p
He saw the betting thread and decided to beat Quintana to the line :eek:

Anyway, I really don't know. Seems like he's given up on beating Froome at least, or he's praying to get a little bit better and get something out of it.
 
Jul 10, 2009
918
0
0
Re:

djpbaltimore said:
I doubt Contador was going to attack on the descent even without the Barguil incident. He was positioned pretty far back and that actually helped him miss the kamikaze move. Without rain, gaining time on the descent was going to require a gap at the top. When that did not happen after his attack, the best option was to conserve energy and follow wheels to the line. Why he sprinted at the end is the puzzling move, but it might help the morale a bit.
If he really wanted to attack on the descend he would have followed Nibs. I think its a mental thing, he is not sure about his body. His body and mind have not synced up. The sprint at the end was probably for morale. We all hoping he has some nuclear plan for the Alps. ...we'll see.
 
Re:

ray j willings said:
Tinko blew it apart on the last climb ,great stuff . Bertie just not got the legs.
His attack wasn't bad, but no one would let him go. Valverde reacted immediately, and then Froome could lose the gap. Nibali was allowed to ride away, a shame the others still view Alberto as such a big threat.
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
ray j willings said:
Tinko blew it apart on the last climb ,great stuff . Bertie just not got the legs.
His attack wasn't bad, but no one would let him go. Valverde reacted immediately, and then Froome could lose the gap. Nibali was allowed to ride away, a shame the others still view Alberto as such a big threat.
Froome probably doesn't consider him as a real threat, but has to much pride to let him go, imo. The others should consider him a threat though. He could still easily podium this Tour.
 
Jul 29, 2012
11,703
3
0
If you win 9 GT's fleur they will never let you go even if you've 4 minutes behind. I call that respect :D

Look at the tour of 2011, andy would have never followed anyone else but contador on his attack in stage 20.
 
Oct 10, 2010
18
0
0
I don't see Alberto as having legs for winning the tour. However, I think that under some circumstances he still could have an option.

He should try to provoke agonizing scenarios. For example, on Friday he should try to use his team in the first mountain pass to eliminate all the teammates of the other teams. This situation would be favorable for Alberto because he has more experience and knows himself better than his rivals do.

I really hope him not to wait until the last mountain pass to try to do something...
 
Feb 21, 2014
2,133
0
0
Valverde is a cheap rider, he would do anything to keep his 4th place. Same for Van Garderen, if Contador goes for a long range attack, he'll have Movistar (who also have to defend Quintana's 2nd spot), Sky and BMC chasing him. So Froome has nothing to do, he'll just cruise in until Paris.

Froome just never moves as long as he has teammates with him, so Alberto has no other choice than make the difference on strength in the last climb. In 2011, they all jumped on his wheel, Froome will not and wait for his teammates to reel Alberto in.

I can't even begin to imagine a scenario where Alberto would really put both Sky and Movistar in a bad situation. Especially given his poor form right now
 
Oct 10, 2010
18
0
0
Re:

BlurryVII said:
Valverde is a cheap rider, he would do anything to keep his 4th place. Same for Van Garderen, if Contador goes for a long range attack, he'll have Movistar (who also have to defend Quintana's 2nd spot), Sky and BMC chasing him. So Froome has nothing to do, he'll just cruise in until Paris.

Froome just never moves as long as he has teammates with him, so Alberto has no other choice than make the difference on strength in the last climb.

I can't even begin to imagine a scenario where Alberto would really put both Sky and Movistar in a bad situation. Especially given his poor form right now
But what about burning the teammates of the other teams and leave the leaders isolated? In that case, he could attack when there are still 100 km to go,and then I don't think Movistar would use Valverde to bring back Contador since it would totally eliminate all the options that Valverde has for the podium.
 
Feb 21, 2014
2,133
0
0
Re: Re:

valaverde7 said:
But what about burning the teammates of the other teams and leave the leaders isolated? In that case, he could attack when there are still 100 km to go,and then I don't think Movistar would use Valverde to bring back Contador since it would totally eliminate all the options that Valverde has for the podium.
I see what you mean but eliminating all the teammates from Sky AND Movistar with 100 km to go ? It doesn't seem realistic, unless Tinkoff is unbelievably strong.

Even if it happens, then what? We'll have all the leaders isolated, and no one will let Alberto go either way, so it still comes down to how good the legs are.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Re: Re:

valaverde7 said:
BlurryVII said:
Valverde is a cheap rider, he would do anything to keep his 4th place. Same for Van Garderen, if Contador goes for a long range attack, he'll have Movistar (who also have to defend Quintana's 2nd spot), Sky and BMC chasing him. So Froome has nothing to do, he'll just cruise in until Paris.

Froome just never moves as long as he has teammates with him, so Alberto has no other choice than make the difference on strength in the last climb.

I can't even begin to imagine a scenario where Alberto would really put both Sky and Movistar in a bad situation. Especially given his poor form right now
But what about burning the teammates of the other teams and leave the leaders isolated? In that case, he could attack when there are still 100 km to go,and then I don't think Movistar would use Valverde to bring back Contador since it would totally eliminate all the options that Valverde has for the podium.
that's a good option. But you need the form to back that up. Currently Contador form probably either the same as TJ/Valverde or just a tad below. To be exact, god knows. He has been ups and down in the past 2 weeks. Also, I don't think Oleg will let Contador risking his podium if he still has a chance. He probably disagrees and don't care about podium, but it would be nice to honor his teammate hard work by at least reaching to podium. Unless if the goal for him now is to win stage only and forget the podium. If he got drop in the Alps and got no chance anymore for podium, what's different 4 or 10th either? Then throw the gauntlet, attack long range and win a stage.

Not sure how do you want interpret this:
"There's absolutely no chance I'm in the same form as I was at the Giro d'Italia earlier this season, obviously. It was a dream to try to win both the Giro and the Tour, but it's not easy to do. You start the race and it's a very hard first week, and you don't have the sensations that you know will lead you to victory.
what he got is his mental stubbornness and some luck. Maybe Fuente De can happen. One can hope.
 
Oct 10, 2010
18
0
0
Re: Re:

BlurryVII said:
valaverde7 said:
But what about burning the teammates of the other teams and leave the leaders isolated? In that case, he could attack when there are still 100 km to go,and then I don't think Movistar would use Valverde to bring back Contador since it would totally eliminate all the options that Valverde has for the podium.
I see what you mean but eliminating all the teammates from Sky AND Movistar with 100 km to go ? It doesn't seem realistic, unless Tinkoff is unbelievably strong.

Even if it happens, then what? We'll have all the leaders isolated, and no one will let Alberto go either way, so it still comes down to how good the legs are.

Yes, but my point is that in that scenario Alberto is a rider with a lot of experience and probably he knows much better how to read the race in this situation. I am sure Froome would blow up if this happens.
Additionally, we are seeing that during the whole tour Alberto cannot face Froome in the lass mountain pass because he has been always beaten, so he should try to do something different.

However, I think you are right and it doesn't seem a very realistic situation, but I also see that the leader' teams are very exhausted and Nibali could be a very good ally.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Re: Re:

jilbiker said:
djpbaltimore said:
I doubt Contador was going to attack on the descent even without the Barguil incident. He was positioned pretty far back and that actually helped him miss the kamikaze move. Without rain, gaining time on the descent was going to require a gap at the top. When that did not happen after his attack, the best option was to conserve energy and follow wheels to the line. Why he sprinted at the end is the puzzling move, but it might help the morale a bit.
If he really wanted to attack on the descend he would have followed Nibs. I think its a mental thing, he is not sure about his body. His body and mind have not synced up. The sprint at the end was probably for morale. We all hoping he has some nuclear plan for the Alps. ...we'll see.
Nibali finally got his free pass. Contador should follow Nibali .. well if he has the form. Wasn't Nibali shave about 30 seconds at the end? It's a little too late, but he might be finishing better than Contador as far as getting the stage win. I think the only way he could overhaul Valverde or TJ, is by risking everything with whatever form now. He might blow up in the process and lost it all. But at least if he wants to win a stage he gotta be 8+ behind like Nibali to have a chance. Other than that, he would just either hang with TJ/Valverde or got dropped all together... which is pretty painful for us to watch. I'd rather have him risking it all..
 
Oct 10, 2010
18
0
0
Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
valaverde7 said:
BlurryVII said:
Valverde is a cheap rider, he would do anything to keep his 4th place. Same for Van Garderen, if Contador goes for a long range attack, he'll have Movistar (who also have to defend Quintana's 2nd spot), Sky and BMC chasing him. So Froome has nothing to do, he'll just cruise in until Paris.

Froome just never moves as long as he has teammates with him, so Alberto has no other choice than make the difference on strength in the last climb.

I can't even begin to imagine a scenario where Alberto would really put both Sky and Movistar in a bad situation. Especially given his poor form right now
But what about burning the teammates of the other teams and leave the leaders isolated? In that case, he could attack when there are still 100 km to go,and then I don't think Movistar would use Valverde to bring back Contador since it would totally eliminate all the options that Valverde has for the podium.
that's a good option. But you need the form to back that up. Currently Contador form probably either the same as TJ/Valverde or just a tad below. To be exact, god knows. He has been ups and down in the past 2 weeks. Also, I don't think Oleg will let Contador risking his podium if he still has a chance. He probably disagrees and don't care about podium, but it would be nice to honor his teammate hard work by at least reaching to podium. Unless if the goal for him now is to win stage only and forget the podium. If he got drop in the Alps and got no chance anymore for podium, what's different 4 or 10th either? Then throw the gauntlet, attack long range and win a stage.

Not sure how do you want interpret this:
"There's absolutely no chance I'm in the same form as I was at the Giro d'Italia earlier this season, obviously. It was a dream to try to win both the Giro and the Tour, but it's not easy to do. You start the race and it's a very hard first week, and you don't have the sensations that you know will lead you to victory.
what he got is his mental stubbornness and some luck. Maybe Fuente De can happen. One can hope.
If he doesn't want to risk the podium then we are going to get bored in the alps.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS