• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1205 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Well, today is Sagan's day. His effort making today's stage worth watching. Climbing great w/ a group of climber. He is the version of G for TS. Break my heart he got second again. As far as GC, snooze fest! AC looks a little more alive, stands a lot (should be a good sign?). But that's about it. Other than Sagan's downhill and climbing, G crash.. GC.. meh today.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
He had a strong attack in him but apperently headwind.

Of contador didn't try anything, he tried 2 years ago and it didn't work. Why would it change now? Only with rain you've really big gaps and piti was never gonna let contador go in the descent. Wednesday it's time to be risky, not now.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Watched the last climb, Contador really isn't getting better at all. Still tilting and all over the place. Even Nibali might be better from now on.

It's incredible how Contador never improves throughout a GT... he always keeps the same form. I think he'll keep losing time in the alps, not as worse as pierre saint martin obviously but you never know.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
KyoGrey said:
rm7 said:
KyoGrey said:
It is such a shame that Alberto and Alejandro don't get on well...

If they really wanted, they could go for the big prize with a combo downhill attack on Allos or in Glandon.

It would be a win-win situation for both of the Spaniards and aditionally Quintana could comfortably sit on the wheel of a hysterical Froome and try to finish him in Pra Loup.

Havent they dismissed the "beef" several times under the last Vuelta? Contador, Valverde and JRod.

But Valverde is always riding like he doesn't want Contador to win.. because if he coorporate, then he know that he'll be beaten in the end probably.

Still can't get my head around JRod and Valverde in the last Vuelta.. Could have smashed Froome on several occasions. I can understand if Contador doesn't think very highly of them.

I support both of them of course, but I think that the rivalry of Valverde and Contador may go way back to the fact that Alejandro feels in his mind that it is unfair that for the last 10 years Alberto has received much more attention of the Spanish general media whilst outside of the cycling world, he is regarded only as a secondary star.

Also the fact that Contador being an almost unique case of a modern Spanish superstar that hasn't milited for Echavarri/Unzue team structures means that Movistar as a team has no good eyes for the madrileño.

hmm that's kind of childish from Valverde. It's out either of them control if the public choose their attention to AC? In my opinion, just because they are spanish, when it comes to Valverde, forgets about asking help. Valverde is always concern only for Valverde. (not like Aussie). The best way for AC is to have a good leg in the first place, and drop Valverde. (just to even annoy him) :D

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
[differen/forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1773023#p1773023]Matteo.[/url] said:
LaFlorecita said:

What did you expect? :confused:
Uhm him putting some pressure on Sky and not chilling at the back of the group, at times even getting gapped.

Today wasn't the stage to try something. Nibali was going 35km/h ! 35! Too weak this climb to do some difference.
Anyway i saw him good in the attack , finally he also wins the sprint! :eek:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Got better in giro '08, vuelta '14. In other GT's he usually kept the same level, i think he got even better in tour '09 but couldn't show it cause of the leash he was on (you've the ITT though). And in the tour '10 his strongest performance was on the tourmalet.

Watch his GT's more carefully before you call yourself a fan.

Re:

BlurryVII said:
Watched the last climb, Contador really isn't getting better at all. Still tilting and all over the place. Even Nibali might be better from now on.

It's incredible how Contador never improves throughout a GT... he always keeps the same form. I think he'll keep losing time in the alps, not as worse as pierre saint martin obviously but you never know.
You are terribly pessimistic...

Re:

BlurryVII said:

It's kind of frustrating...he just seems to have mini ups and downs from day to day, but there really isn't any clear sign of overall improvement. I don't think anything spectacular is going to happen in the Alps - he's going for the podium and hoping that TJ and Valverde have a bad day. The most likely scenario is he has a bad day and finishes 5th or 6th, which I know would be welcome by some, but personally I would like to see him on the podium so that his double-attempt can be called a mini-success of sorts.

Re:

BlurryVII said:

Nibali better because he gains few seconds? only Gesink try to close gap , the other were only looking around and let him go.
When Alberto attacked all try to follow , also Froome himself .

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
BlurryVII said:

You are terribly pessimistic...

3 rd Week going to be very interesting.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Got better in giro '08, vuelta '14. In other GT's he usually kept the same level, i think he got even better in tour '09 but couldn't show it cause of the leash he was on (you've the ITT though). And in the tour '10 his strongest performance was on the tourmalet.

Watch his GT's more carefully before you call yourself a fan.

Those are slight improvements not significant ones. Given his form at the moment, he would need to be significantly better to finally be able to take time uphill. Not just attack, but sustain it.

But be happy and shut it up, you got what you wanted, exciting stuff ain't it? Struggling Contador, isn't that what you love? Do the happy dance, you'll have a fail show in the alps especially made for you.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

BlurryVII said:

you might get the answer. Contador was interviewed. His answers offered nothing in confidence over his form. He was having a hard time in 1, 2 week. Only said the alps there's a little possibility. So there you go.. looks like the form is .. it is what it is.

Pantani Attacks said:
Nice, positive interview on LeMond on Tour. He's very optimistic. The Alps could be great

Jelantik said:
you might get the answer. Contador was interviewed. His answers offered nothing in confidence over his form. He was having a hard time in 1, 2 week. Only said the alps there's a little possibility. So there you go.. looks like the form is .. it is what it is.

Two completely different takes on the same interview?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

cellardoor said:
BlurryVII said:

It's kind of frustrating...he just seems to have mini ups and downs from day to day, but there really isn't any clear sign of overall improvement. I don't think anything spectacular is going to happen in the Alps - he's going for the podium and hoping that TJ and Valverde have a bad day. The most likely scenario is he has a bad day and finishes 5th or 6th, which I know would be welcome by some, but personally I would like to see him on the podium so that his double-attempt can be called a mini-success of sorts.

Podium can't be called mini success. That's still a success. And it's still better than 5th or 6th since he did that already in 2011 w/o preparation. I guess his preparation wasn't the right formula. Came 85/90% to Giro, rest and recovery for 1months, hoping to build the form during the first 2 weeks. But his body has different plan. I just hope that he won't get dropped like 2013... at least hang with TJ/valverde.

Alberto says on Eurosport he tried to attack but got scared after the Thomas crash;
Greg says "you are a real attacker, do you still want to attack?" Alberto hopes he can attack some more in the Alpes;
Greg asks if he is in the same shape as in the Giro, Alberto says no because he didn't have enough time to recover;
Greg asks about team Sky's strength, Alberto says they are super strong, all of them but especially Thomas;
Greg asks is the team happy? Alberto says they are happy so far and Sagan especially has been amazing;
Ashley asks about the Ivan Basso news, Alberto says it was a big shock, he is not just a teammate but also a great friend.

TRENDING THREADS