• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1295 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Now what do you know? He intends to continue racing after 2016? And who was flamed for saying he was lying his ass off when he said that this was his last year...xD

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
And he's gonna crush Algarve. After every *** year he strikes back even harder, that's real champions for you. Sadly enough we got robbed from seeing it in the tour of 2014.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The idea of Contador for his prof. team is creating a new one, apart from the fundacoin. This will remain as U23 and junior team for development.

His brother siad they ar in conversation with 6 sponsors but no name has came at the moment.

LaFlorecita said:
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/02/contador-says-it-is-more-and-more-likely-he-will-continue-in-2017/
Speaking to the Spanish publication AS, he said that he would continue racing if he is successful in setting up his own team, and if it is of a sufficiently high level.

“The possibility of the project going forward is now 50 percent,” he said, saying that the intended setup would be of the “top level to compete in the Tour de France.”

That in turn floats the possibility that he wants to ride the Tour in 2017, giving himself two more shots to win it again.

He is in contact with several sponsors and is aiming for a budget of 15 million euro per year.
:)

And:
Contador is due to begin his season on Wednesday in the Volta ao Algarve and said that he was feeling good. “I start with confidence and enthusiasm because I’ve done a good job in the winter, with peace of mind.”

However he quashed any thoughts that he might be ready to immediately challenge his rivals. “I know I am going to lack rhythm and that I begin later compared to other riders, but the goals are long-term and I am sure that everything will go well.”
Get ready :D

How many riders from Tinkoff is he gonna hire?
Jesus, Sergio for sure...

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Jakub said:
LaFlorecita said:
http://cyclingtips.com/2016/02/contador-says-it-is-more-and-more-likely-he-will-continue-in-2017/
Speaking to the Spanish publication AS, he said that he would continue racing if he is successful in setting up his own team, and if it is of a sufficiently high level.

“The possibility of the project going forward is now 50 percent,” he said, saying that the intended setup would be of the “top level to compete in the Tour de France.”

That in turn floats the possibility that he wants to ride the Tour in 2017, giving himself two more shots to win it again.

He is in contact with several sponsors and is aiming for a budget of 15 million euro per year.

And:
Contador is due to begin his season on Wednesday in the Volta ao Algarve and said that he was feeling good. “I start with confidence and enthusiasm because I’ve done a good job in the winter, with peace of mind.”

However he quashed any thoughts that he might be ready to immediately challenge his rivals. “I know I am going to lack rhythm and that I begin later compared to other riders, but the goals are long-term and I am sure that everything will go well.”

I don't know how many but the plan is to have some riders from Tinkoff plus some of its staff. Obviously some riders from the U23 ranks will move up to the Pro team. He plans on having this team be international. And as I said before, the initial plan was to have an announcement by April/May on the final details of the team. If it's earlier than that even better.

Re:

Miburo said:
Now what do you know? He intends to continue racing after 2016? And who was flamed for saying he was lying his ass off when he said that this was his last year...xD
You said he was a liar and would race on regardless. He said he would stop unless he had some misfortune at the Tour or managed to set up his own project. This doesn't prove you were right, it just doesn't prove you were wrong.

sacrifice&hardwork said:
I don't know how many but the plan is to have some riders from Tinkoff plus some of its staff. Obviously some riders from the U23 ranks will move up to the Pro team. He plans on having this team be international. And as I said before, the initial plan was to have an announcement by April/May on the final details of the team. If it's earlier than that even better.
Let's play a game, which riders will he take with him from Tinkoff?

My guesses:
Paulinho (although he may retire)
Hernandez
Bennati
Maybe Boaro

Staff: Faustino for sure and Basso

I’m certainly very happy with how my ‘numbers’ [data] are looking right now. But whilst it’s true that maths and numbers play an increasingly important role in modern cycling overall, at the same time, the sport’s not all about that. However, my numbers are better than in previous years at this exact point in time, and that’s definitely a good thing.
That's a relief.

Re:

sacrifice&hardwork said:
LaFlorecita - Those sound plausible. He may even keep de Jongh. And maybe buy Peter :eek:

But we have to thank Movistar for their part in 'pushing' Alberto into wanting to have his pro team ;)
De Jongh also has plans to set up his own team and he just said to a Dutch news outlet that it is possible he and Alberto combine their plans if they don't succeed in finding the necessary sponsors.

sacrifice&hardwork said:
Jakub said:
LaFlorecita said:

And:

Thinking about that I would like to see ongoing cooperation with Roman Kreuziger, but I would say Roman might choose Etixx, Rafal Majka might choose a team which will provide him TdF leader place, because he's not really type for Giro - too cold.
I don't believe Sagan would be possible, that would be disaster for the rest of the squad salary possibilities.
On the other hand, some riders for Classics must be hired.

We will see :D

hfer07 said:
I just saw a picture of him during the Fundacion Contador team and- god damn-he looks skinny :eek: :eek:
He looks scarily thin. Ammattipyoraily noticed it too.
https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/699198892588601344?s=09
CbQGs7UW8AE1_-T.jpg

Never seen him this thin at this point, hopefully the engine is working too. And we will see if his TT skills have been compromised.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The setting up of a project was gonna happen for sure so yea he was lying. You're in some serious denial if you think Contador was considering retiring when he's only 33.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
hfer07 said:
I just saw a picture of him during the Fundacion Contador team and- god damn-he looks skinny :eek: :eek:
CbQGs7UW8AE1_-T.jpg

Never seen him this thin at this point, hopefully the engine is working too. And we will see if his TT skills have been compromised.

Saw these shots earlier. Looks mega lean. One shot you can see it through his leg warmers. Gonna bring it this year big time !.

Re:

Miburo said:
The setting up of a project was gonna happen for sure so yea he was lying. You're in some serious denial if you think Contador was considering retiring when he's only 33.
It's not that weird if the rumors are true, that he doesn't really want to make the sacrifices anymore. Carlos Arribas wrote in Rouleur Magazine that he is "tired, sad, misunderstood and very lonely" in other words he does not want to be a cyclist anymore.

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:
It's not that weird if the rumors are true, that he doesn't really want to make the sacrifices anymore. Carlos Arribas wrote in Rouleur Magazine that he is "tired, sad, misunderstood and very lonely" in other words he does not want to be a cyclist anymore.

Which issue of Roleur was that?

Re: Re:

Angliru said:
LaFlorecita said:
Miburo said:

Which issue of Roleur was that?
55 I think, I got pictures of the pages sent to me (don't tell anyone :p ) so not sure
I thought the article was a bit sensationalist but still some interesting quotes in there. Also from infamous Dr Celaya

For all the great deeds he has achieved on the bike, the creation of another big professional team in Spain could arguably be the best accomplishment of his career.

The Fundación Contador that he started with his brother some years ago is already one of the references in the amateur level in Spain at several agegroups. So he clearly has the tools, he only needs the money.

Spanish economy is obviously not in its top form (although not as bad as portrayed sometimes), but we are still a country with a great number of big companies. The potential for big sponsors for someone like Contador is there and I think that the question is whether sponsoring a big cycling team nowadays compensates the risk of scandals.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
hfer07 said:
CbQGs7UW8AE1_-T.jpg

Jesus .........................is alive.

Holy Jesus, he's easily 4 kgs lighter than last may, what the hell.

TRENDING THREADS