• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1437 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Roman Kreuziger ‏@Roman86_K 52 min
Not complaining but if there is #3km rules on stage 1,3 and 4 in @dauphine than should be aplicated if there is a crash.Wasn't there crash?

ReTweeted by Gaspa and Adam Yates :p

Dan Martin says:

Dan Martin ‏@DanMartin86 12 min
@Roman86_K rules are not clear and always somebody opinion if split made by crash. It's ******. Take the time with 3km Togo.
Yea,its a real mess,everybody knows it :( ...also the particular thread always pop up in july :eek:

The main benefit of taking times with 3km to go isn't even the time, it's the fact that people who aren't interested in the stage can ease up and not increase the number of bodies in the peloton at 60km/h in scenarios where crashes are extremely likely to happen. For the safety of the cyclists it would be great. If one of the sprinters goes down, what's the point of having 140 riders who could run that sprinter over or just simply go down and hurt themselves too

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
There's a lot of chat about the 3k rule but to be honest how he looks and goes against Froome and Porte in the next 3 days is much more important. He's still in the lead and those others need to drop him to win.....now if he had 13 seconds still on Sunday and Froome drops him by 12 secs, Contador still wins....but would we be happy ? Not really has it could spell a confidence issue heading to the Tour

How he goes and looks over the next 3 days is the most important thing, let's see, fingers crossed he'll at least stay with them and defend the time he made in the prologue

Re:

ad9898 said:
There's a lot of chat about the 3k rule but to be honest how he looks and goes against Froome and Porte in the next 3 days is much more important. He's still in the lead and those others need to drop him to win.....now if he had 13 seconds still on Sunday and Froome drops him by 12 secs, Contador still wins....but would we be happy ? Not really has it could spell a confidence issue heading to the Tour

How he goes and looks over the next 3 days is the most important thing, let's see, fingers crossed he'll at least stay with them and defend the time he made in the prologue
I would be happier than if he is 4s ahead on Sunday and loses 12s :(
The biggest issue for me, besides the fact that 4s is of course nearly nothing, is that 4s is within bonus second range. And of course there are still many other contenders for the overall win. It will be difficult to win for Alberto, but I will gladly admit I was wrong if he does :p

Re:

Miburo said:
Martin is as objective as you can be. He even gained time cause of this.

As for the cross winds - I too was watching live and the point was made that the parcours meant they went from cross to tail to head wind relatively quickly as the road weaved around in the final few K, so understanding the degree to which a gap would or would not survive is almost impossible to tell.

I guess ultimately, all the riders suffer if there's a lack of consistency because it makes them ride to the most conservative - i.e. contesting each stage final no matter what. I don't think any of them would like to see a situation in which there are all the GC teams and the sprinters teams fighting it out on all the flat stage finishes. Recipe for disaster and their rivals crashing out or being delayed is not the way any of them, I'm sure, wish to win a race.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
ad9898 said:

I would be happier than if he is 4s ahead on Sunday and loses 12s :(

I do understand Flo but the most important thing for me is that he doesn't get dropped by Froome by any amount. Porte I'm not to worried about, I don't think he's a Tour contender, Froome though....I don't want to see a wheel width of distance when Froome hits the afterburners, which he will

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

lenric said:
3km rule is just plain stupid. Obvious thing to do would be nobody loses time in the last 5 kms or so, in order to prevent GC contenders from getting screwed up. That would in fact help other teams who'd aim for the sprinting. Don't really know how this has never been applied.

Totally agree. Time for GC should be taken at the 3k banner whatever happens. Everyone would benefit.

TheYouyou7 said:
lenric said:
3km rule is just plain stupid. Obvious thing to do would be nobody loses time in the last 5 kms or so, in order to prevent GC contenders from getting screwed up. That would in fact help other teams who'd aim for the sprinting. Don't really know how this has never been applied.

Totally agree. Time for GC should be taken at the 3k banner whatever happens. Everyone would benefit.
But if you crash with 3.5k to go, that means you will lose time, even though you might have made it back if the times were taken at the finish. Or should we also add a 6km rule for crashes, mechanicals etc. that protect riders from losing time in the last 3 GC kms?

Vasilis said:
TheYouyou7 said:
lenric said:

But if you crash with 3.5k to go, that means you will lose time, even though you might have made it back if the times were taken at the finish. Or should we also add a 6km rule for crashes, mechanicals etc. that protect riders from losing time in the last 3 GC kms?

The number of kms for the rule should be decided in a conversation between 2 parties: both the riders and the rulers, or even the directors from the teams.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Yesterday Alberto said his legs still lack speed, is it typical Alberto sandbagging or is he speaking the truth? ;) we'll find out today
Normally his legs shouldn't lack speed after 5 stages, just look at Algarve.

In fact it's the usual lie or excuse as you prefer. Finally today begin the mountains, no more excuses (for anyone) and we'll see who will be the strongest. I can not wait

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Interesting stage today, what are your expectations? I guess Froome will give it a try, that should sort out the GC a bit. Fingers crossed that Berto has strong legs :)
Actually it's TLMRTP who may attack first and let's hope Bertie let him go and Froome loses his nerves and starts to chase him down.
Of course the best would be Roman or Jesper able to help, but....

Or Trofimov
:p

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Interesting stage today, what are your expectations? I guess Froome will give it a try, that should sort out the GC a bit. Fingers crossed that Berto has strong legs :)
Very much looking forward to today's stage! I expect Alberto and Froome play a waiting game for a little while and Froome to attck then....Porte has the biggest chance to go under the radar,it will be interesting :)

I hope for strong legs too!

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Froome never did a waiting game, he always goes.

That's one of the best things of Froome. Yea it's alberto's thread but Froome always attacks, no games of poker.

Sky will go insane today to see where Froome is exactly compared to the rest.

Re:

Miburo said:

That's one of the best things of Froome. Yea it's alberto's thread but Froome always attacks, no games of poker.

Exactly , i never see Froome wait or control in the first mountain stage, and i like him for this feature. For sure he'll attack today

Quite an irregular climb, with a lot of tempo shifts. It will for sure test their explosiveness, but they will only really have 2 km where they can make a difference. I think we will have to wait for tomorrow to really see, who is best when it comes to a +10 km climb with average gradients. Porte or Bardet ftw, but only because I don't want to jinx our guy. The bookies have Dan Martin as the favourite - don't know what they've been drinking.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

Matteo. said:
Miburo said:

Exactly , i never see Froome wait or control in the first mountain stage, and i like him for this feature. For sure he'll attack today
I agree folks,...thats what I like most on Froome ;)

OTOH I still think that the game has changed,he will wait a bit imo.(and then attack :D )