• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1435 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
This 9 seconds gap is very fair but i think it will be irrelevant for the gc. I think froome is very strong, he is racing like he normally races in le tour. Tomorrow's stage will be boring, and i think saturday's stage will give us answers about contador's shape

Re:

Red Rick said:
This was a dumb finish anyway, because it was very technical, and because of the uphill, every sprinter and puncher wants to sprint, and all the GC guys want to not lose time, so the fight for positions is even more crash prone than usual. Then he lost a bunch of positions because of that crash. Just checked the first week of the Tour, and actually only 2 of the first 7 finishes are flat, all other last k's are uphill. Asopublic style
Angers and Limoges (I suppose thats what you mean) are for pure sprinters, don't you worry child. Rofl at the bolded, that couldn't be more wrong for the first week with 4 ALMOST completely flat sprint finishes.

Re:

BlurryVII said:
GC says Froome gained 9 secs... how to get robbed. They should've neutralized gaps because of the crash inside the 3 k;

This kind of poor decision will push Contador and other GC teams to start fighting for positions in the sprints at the Tour, which will increase the chance of crashes.

This time, 3rd time wasn't a charm.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
What he said:

“The truth is that losing nine seconds don't bother me. What bothers me more is whether or not the rule of the last three kilometers gets applied. The split on the finishing line was due to a crash. I don't think the finales are more nervous here than at other World Tour races. It's the same. The tension is high but it's just normal at this level of racing. We'll see how it goes tomorrow in the hills. I don't have the speed in the legs yet. We're here to finalize the preparation for the Tour de France.”

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
This was a dumb finish anyway, because it was very technical, and because of the uphill, every sprinter and puncher wants to sprint, and all the GC guys want to not lose time, so the fight for positions is even more crash prone than usual. Then he lost a bunch of positions because of that crash. Just checked the first week of the Tour, and actually only 2 of the first 7 finishes are flat, all other last k's are uphill. Asopublic style
Angers and Limoges (I suppose thats what you mean) are for pure sprinters, don't you worry child. Rofl at the bolded, that couldn't be more wrong for the first week with 4 ALMOST completely flat sprint finishes.

5 out of 7 stages have at least like 25m of altitude gain in the last km. It's a false flat obviously, but sprints are less predictabler, more riders want to sprint, chances of gaps are bigger, ergo everyone wants be there, and in the Tour, it's gonna lead to crashes.

Maps are crap though, so you can't really get an idea of how technical the finish is. This one was really technical.

Re:

BlurryVII said:
What he said:

“The truth is that losing nine seconds don't bother me. What bothers me more is whether or not the rule of the last three kilometers gets applied. The split on the finishing line was due to a crash. I don't think the finales are more nervous here than at other World Tour races. It's the same. The tension is high but it's just normal at this level of racing. We'll see how it goes tomorrow in the hills. I don't have the speed in the legs yet. We're here to finalize the preparation for the Tour de France.”
Paradoxical statement again. If he isn't bothered by the time loss why the 3k rule bothers him? It's invented 'cause the time gaps for which he doesn't care.
The time loss bothers him. He's here to win the race. It's harder when cushion is thinning and the form isn't exactly there.

I found this profile, seem Tomorrow 5 km 9.5%. Whether there will be battle, those nine seconds :rolleyes:

Collet_de_Vaujany_Allemond_profile.gif

Re:

BlurryVII said:
What he said:

I have to agree with him - today is irritating but doesn't really bother me and I can't see it being that important in the context of the whole race. But the wider principle - the expectation that the rule will be applied in this situation -must affect riders' behaviours/choices - they may jockey less for position etc. if they think the rule will apply. And I still can't see how a rider and bike in the road didn't cause the peloton to slow and swerve, even if no one else came down or had to stop.

But - swings and roundabouts etc. etc. Can't win them all.

sir fly said:
BlurryVII said:
What he said:

Paradoxical statement again. If he isn't bothered by the time loss why the 3k rule bothers him? It's invented 'cause the time gaps for which he doesn't care.
The time loss bothers him. He's here to win the race. It's harder when cushion is thinning and the form isn't exactly there.

reminds me of the 2011 TDF in the very 1st stage when there were one crash after another, got held back , lost a lot of time while Tour organizers literally ignored completely the 3k rule.

hfer07 said:
reminds me of the 2011 TDF in the very 1st stage when there were one crash after another, got held back , lost a lot of time while Tour organizers literally ignored completely the 3k rule.
exactly. Those 9s don't bother him, but it bothers him that the 3km rule is ignored, because it could mean unfair time loss at the Tour, and such a loss could be much more than 9s.
But anyway, sir fly is so adamant Contador isn't in good shape, I doubt arguing with him will be of much use.

LaFlorecita said:
hfer07 said:
exactly. Those 9s don't bother him, but it bothers him that the 3km rule is ignored, because it could mean unfair time loss at the Tour, and such a loss could be much more than 9s.
But anyway, sir fly is so adamant Contador isn't in good shape, I doubt arguing with him will be of much use.
So, why's the 3k rule so important to him if he doesn't care about the time gaps?
Is it some kind of 3k free wheeling fetish?

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

sir fly said:
BlurryVII said:
What he said:

The 3k rule bothers him because if it was not respected here, then it might not be in the future in a more important race like the Tour. It's not clear as to when it is applied which I agree with him. It doesn't necessarily have to do with his time loss from today specifically .

Don't know how many times it's been said, but if he can win the race, why not go for it? He'll probably just mark Froome, not chase anyone that attacks and makes himself go full out if he's losing time. His first priority here is to prepare for the Tour, he'll obviously take the win if it's at reach.

Form isn't exactly there? That's what we saw on Sunday indeed.

sir fly said:
BlurryVII said:
What he said:

It's paradoxical that a rider who thinks that he has won 9 GTs is bothered by rules not being strictly applied.

roundabout said:
sir fly said:
BlurryVII said:
What he said:

It's paradoxical that a rider who thinks that he has won 9 GTs is bothered by rules not being strictly applied.

blue touch paper lit.

sir fly said:
LaFlorecita said:
hfer07 said:
So, why's the 3k rule so important to him if he doesn't care about the time gaps?
Is it some kind of 3k free wheeling fetish?
The 3k rule not being applied is important to him because it sets a dangerous precedent ahead of the Tour de France
The time gap doesn't bother him because this race is not the Tour de France but the Dauphiné.

hfer07 said:
sir fly said:
BlurryVII said:
What he said:

There is a difference between the principle and this specific incident. The principle about when and how the 3 km rule applies is more important. Seems entirely reasonable distinction to me.

Looking forward to the weekend. Should be interesting to finally get a test of the lead guys.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Just because Contador says he's here to prepare for the Tour and not necessarily go for the win, peeps believe he'll be free wheeling the whole week and if not, then he's a liar. Good lord

Re:

BlurryVII said:
Just because Contador says he's here to prepare for the Tour and not necessarily go for the win, peeps believe he'll be free wheeling the whole week and if not, then he's a liar. Good lord

Just trying to set up a straw man for the sake of argument. After a while, zero engagement policy applies.