• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1433 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Jakub said:
LaFlorecita said:
Alberto said to Daniel Benson this morning that he'll sign a contract before the Tour. I wonder which team he'll go for?

So far the logic says Etixx. That would be the only reason why the Etixx guys occasionally (for example yesterday) help with chasing when they thelselves have no reason.
It would be a marvellous choice. The only problem would be Kittel, but I hope that if Bertie goes to Etixx he makes that clear, that the next Tour would be ohne Kittel. + they would need to sign a few mountain domestics.

Trek would be amazing too.
Etixx had Alaphillippe for the stage.

ILovecycling said:
New Alberto fan on the forum? :)

Im lucky I didnt watch live today :p
It was crazy! I thought "here we go again..." but then when the camera riding at the end of the peloton showed Roman, Alberto had already left on Roman's bike so I thought he was in the peloton!! Then I realized he was in a group just behind the peloton but thought "no worries, he'll come back, maybe a few s lost in a split" then they did the handsling thingy :eek: and I thought "oh dear, now he's going to get a penalty" but nope :)

Just out of interest what do people think of the hand sling today?

If he's not docked 10 seconds or something, it sets a bad precedent. I know he had a mechanical but a hand sling gives a pretty big boost and isn't really that much different to a sticky bottle. Either that or make it clear that it's fair game so anyone who has had a crash or mechanical is allowed a hand sling now without having to worry about the commissaires.

But consistency is vital

Re:

PremierAndrew said:

If he's not docked 10 seconds or something, it sets a bad precedent. I know he had a mechanical but a hand sling gives a pretty big boost and isn't really that much different to a sticky bottle. Either that or make it clear that it's fair game so anyone who has had a crash or mechanical is allowed a hand sling now without having to worry about the commissaires.

But consistency is vital

lol

I agree that a consistency would be fine, but...

after we saw million sticky bottles this year, Bertie should get a penalty for hand sling after a mechanical?
Nibali should have gotten 2 years ban in last years Vuelta IMHO, shame he didn't. This was really nothing what made Bertie today. The only worrying thing is that his teammates are unable to bring him back to the bunch normalway.

Jakub said:
PremierAndrew said:

But consistency is vital

lol

I agree that a consistency would be fine, but...

after we saw million sticky bottles this year, Bertie should get a penalty for hand sling after a mechanical?
Nibali should have gotten 2 years ban in last years Vuelta IMHO, shame he didn't. This was really nothing what made Bertie today. The only worrying thing is that his teammates are unable to bring him back to the bunch normalway.

:eek:

And no, in terms of the advantage a hand sling provides, it's less than a normal sticky bottle (not Nibali in last year's Vuelta manner, but a quick one), so it's not something that should be punished. But as long as there's consistency, because Meersman's penalty came to mind a couple of years ago

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
Sets a precedence? More like following it...

The only hand sling I remember that was punished in a situation somewhat resembling today, would be Meersman (iirc) in P-N a few years back, but he did a lot of other stuff as well.

This, pretty much.

Contador had already caught the bunch, very different from Meermans who was drafted and slinged trying to get back

Re:

Jspear said:
Is there a specific amount of time they will take off for a hand sling if they do enforce it...or could the penalty vary?
10s penalty and 200CHF fine. But they decide right after the stage. We haven't heard of any penalty, so the commissaires did not think it was bad enough for a penalty. Also, with Bouhanni, they even said that no one had filed an official complaint, so they hadn't even looked at the images. May be the same now.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Waiting for friday, well prob saterday but let me dream.

chris-froome2_2942147b.jpg

LaFlorecita said:
Jspear said:
Is there a specific amount of time they will take off for a hand sling if they do enforce it...or could the penalty vary?
10s penalty and 200CHF fine. But they decide right after the stage. We haven't heard of any penalty, so the commissaires did not think it was bad enough for a penalty. Also, with Bouhanni, they even said that no one had filed an official complaint, so they hadn't even looked at the images. May be the same now.

If it was the tour then I'm sure a few of his rivals would have complained. However its only the Dauphine so they probably all let it go.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
Hand slings are pretty common, and most of them go unpunished.
Yeah, but this one was on live tv, I am a bit surprised he didn't get a penalty. Not that I mind :p

They're not just pretty common, it's a social thing to do in the peloton. The moment you can't keep the tempo up anymore, when riding in front closing a gap, it's the right thing to do to give a handsling to the guy behind you to close the gap.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site

dacooley said:
Miburo said:
Waiting for friday, well prob saterday but let me dream.

chris-froome2_2942147b.jpg
who will you cheer for after bertie quits? it will be really difficult to find a cyclist to cover him with even 5% of contador's hype.
you appear to have a serious problem with that...advice for you: dont visit this thread :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS