• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1487 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The pundits have written AC off because he hasn't won the Tour since 2010 (dq nothwithstanding). They see Froome and Sky as indominable and Quintana as the next best rider in the world, if not the best pure climber. Then AC has been inconsistant since his DQ. He rode poorly in 2013, was super in 2014, was good but not superlative in 2015 and, what's more, took a real beating at the Tour.

He has been very good this year, as has been pointed out. But the impact of Froome winning the Dauphine and dropping AC on the queen stage, has fueled doubts over his potential to win...and rightly so.

However, looking at the photos of him at the Tour presentation, he looks lean and ready. He might just proove them wrong yet. Ever confident, Contador needs to respond well to Froomes attacks in the first week. If he does that then we might get a French version of the 2014 Vuelta. Of course, Quintana will add another dimension to the race, as well as Aru-Nibali, Porte, Bardet etc. So it's not just Froome, Contador needs to be vigilant about.

No matter how good he may display himself in the next 3 weeks, until now, one can't help but to think that 2 years ago he was simply stronger than now. Not because of Dauphine (though that helped to form this thought), but because of his performances in the week races.
In 2014's Tirreno Adriatico (I'm not 100% sure it was here), on the stage where there was a 349304293094% climb, he simply flied away from everyone. It was a display of strength that made me remember his 2009-11 level.

Until today this season we have already had loads of mountain stages by him, some good performances, but none of them matched what he did in 2014, hence why people are a little skeptical over Contador's chances.

But it's an opinion, much like everything that's being said over here, so subjectivity is the key concept.

May 20, 2015
Visit site
lenric said:
No matter how good he may display himself in the next 3 weeks, until now, one can't help but to think that 2 years ago he was simply stronger than now. Not because of Dauphine (though that helped to form this thought), but because of his performances in the week races.
In 2014's Tirreno Adriatico (I'm not 100% sure it was here), on the stage where there was a 349304293094% climb, he simply flied away from everyone. It was a display of strength that made me remember his 2009-11 level.

Until today this season we have already had loads of mountain stages by him, some good performances, but none of them matched what he did in 2014, hence why people are a little skeptical over Contador's chances.

But it's an opinion, much like everything that's being said over here, so subjectivity is the key concept.

PN last stage...

TheYouyou7 said:
lenric said:

PN last stage...

If that's what I'm thinking of, very good, but not great.

Re:

rhubroma said:
The pundits have written AC off because he hasn't won the Tour since 2010 (dq nothwithstanding). They see Froome and Sky as indominable and Quintana as the next best rider in the world, if not the best pure climber. Then AC has been inconsistant since his DQ. He rode poorly in 2013, was super in 2014, was good but not superlative in 2015 and, what's more, took a real beating at the Tour.

He has been very good this year, as has been pointed out. But the impact of Froome winning the Dauphine and dropping AC on the queen stage, has fueled doubts over his potential to win...and rightly so.

However, looking at the photos of him at the Tour presentation, he looks lean and ready. He might just proove them wrong yet. Ever confident, Contador needs to respond well to Froomes attacks in the first week. If he does that then we might get a French verison of the 2014 Vuelta. Of course, Quintana will add another dimension to the race, as well as Aru-Nibali, Porte, Bardet etc. So it's not just Froome, Contador needs to be vigilant about.

I agree, but there has always been a slightly subliminal anti-Spanish bent in the Anglo press since the days of LeMond. You could even point to the 85 Vuelta as the marker. they are always quick to downplay Spanish hopefuls, except when the obvious favorite is Indurain.

Did he ever show a similar level to 2014 this year tho? I dont remember him dropping Valverde like a stone in his favoured terrain, going solo on Lancino and dropping Quintana like a stone with 40 km or whatever, his insane performance on the last day of Dauphine... I can't quite see it. He has disappointed a fair amount on the most important MTF's this year (La Madone, Port Aine, Vaujany). Im still sceptic.

just 3-4 years before prior any gt bertie was in that was reasonable to predict something like 'ac will kick everyone's ass in the climbs as usual and maintain his superiority in time trials'. Today people should hope for a proper echelone stage happening, for bertie holding one's wheel on first mtf, for rain, for crazy early attacks, for attacks on flat stages... that is big difference is all about.

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Did he ever show a similar level to 2014 this year tho? I dont remember him dropping Valverde like a stone in his favoured terrain, going solo on Lancino and dropping Quintana like a stone with 40 km or whatever, his insane performance on the last day of Dauphine... I can't quite see it. He has disappointed a fair amount on the most important MTF's this year (La Madone, Port Aine, Vaujany). Im still sceptic.

In TA 2014, Quintana was going for the Giro he was not good.

La Madone was not a climb barely a false flat...
Port Aine was not that terible+ he was dumb
Vaujany: Dont know what happened.

Re:

lenric said:

I agree, he was better in 2014 than now, and if he had completed the Tour that year, I'm sure it would have been his best GT since his comeback (if not ever). While I don't think he'll be as good as back then, I still think he'll be better than he was at any other GT since his comeback, so he should most definitely have the level to contend for 1st place, based on pure strength alone.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

Ah but Quintana has improved since 2014. One can't really compare years, beyond getting a rough indication. Clearly Contador was in stellar form in 2014, but the competition in 2016 is different. Porte is much better, Froome is riding after another Tour triumph, etc.

But perhaps AC has timed it even better than in 2014. He still had a margin to improve after the Dauphine and, after being dropped on the queen stage, seemed to be firing well in the last stages of the race. Perhaps, given he wasn't going into the Dauphine to win it and after crushing the mountain TT, he simply had a bad day when he was dropped by Froome and Porte.

Maybe that was previously accounted for (having a bad day in the Dauphine) and, therefore, it could be that he is only now hitting his best form as planned. We don't know, but after the first week, bar incident, we should know if AC is like version 2014. He seems to be stronger than 2015 at the Tour, which is promising.

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Contadors talent is unchallenged in todays cycling theres no doubt regarding that everyone knows that, ask every pro and theill speak of it and the results shows it. Indeed he may not be sa strong as he was a few years ago beacuse of the age and thats only natural hes still good enough to beat the best contenders. Contador is the only GT rider ive ever witnessed which has zero weaknesses, someone has always had something tho be it only not having good acceleration or whatever. Even today you see it Froome is good in the mountains and a beast in the TT but he fades during 3 weeks, Quintana beast in the mountains (not contador lvl but can become that good in the moutains hes atleast very talented, but he has TT as his weakness) Contador has none he only get stronger during 3 weeks, in form TT with the very best, climbs like noone else and can easily handle every type of climb at ease since his nature and style fits all kind of climbs. Granted this is Contador at his peak, I also agree he may not be at that lvl anymore cause of father time but still I doubt anyone is good enough to beat a inform Contador who is fresh so be it that hes over the top thats should only testify to the greatness of him and his unique talent.

I expect something ala 2014 vuelta betwen him and Froome with the same result cause thats the closest results from the past we can compare with. As for Quintana im more torn, Quintana seems to have taken a new step this year, as of how much he has improved remains to be seen but thats gonne be interesting to see.

Im hoping for a crash free race betwen Quintana, Froome and Contador as should every cycle fan so we all can witness 3 great riders go at it :D

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
I agree, he was better in 2014 than now, and if he had completed the Tour that year, I'm sure it would have been his best GT since his comeback (if not ever). While I don't think he'll be as good as back then, I still think he'll be better than he was at any other GT since his comeback, so he should most definitely have the level to contend for 1st place, based on pure strength alone.
Spot on, I think. We will see at the end of July ;)

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

TheYouyou7 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Nonsence! In 2013 Nibali was going for the Giro and he was good.

Mr.White said:
TheYouyou7 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Nonsence! In 2013 Nibali was going for the Giro and he was good.

Different people, different build ups and approaches to reaching the Giro in top form.

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
New shoes for AC

wx2S0A0048-609x428.jpg

wx2S0A0022-691x428.jpg

TRENDING THREADS