• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1500 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
peloton said:
Doesn't bode too well, bummer

Alberto Contador (Tinkoff) again crashed after 60 km in stage 2 and was dejected on the finish line.

"I lost more time than I had hoped to lose. I suffered another crash, I hit the handlebars and I was hurt on the other side from yesterday. I must stay calm, not lose morale, I'm still standing but I have been really touched. The Tour has really started on the wrong footing. I'm not happy at all. It's cycling. I must see if I can make up some time in the Pyrenees and the Alps, see what I can do."
"I'm physically hampered. I cannot pedal as I would last as the result of crashes. The important thing is to keep my morale, not fall part, which is sometimes complicated. Both legs are very touched."

Not a pretty picture; both sides and legs now injured :eek: Still as long as he can continue I'm sure he will, he is a fighter. Hopefully his morale will pick up after some rest.

May 18, 2015
Visit site
Such negativy about Contador on social media. Everywhere I read things like:

"He should quit the tour,"
"his team is against him.
"his chances riding podium are gone!"

C'mon! this is AC we're talking about. This is a guy who is a really tough nut to crack. He won't go down without a fight. To me, losing just 45 seconds in his current condition and considering the pain he has, is a really really good result. If he would not have crashed he would have crushed his competition.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

mufana said:
Such negativy about Contador on social media. Everywhere I read things like:

"He should quit the tour,"
"his team is against him.
"his chances riding podium are gone!"

C'mon! this is AC we're talking about. This is a guy who is a really tough nut to crack. He won't go down without a fight. To me, losing just 45 seconds in his current condition and considering the pain he has, is a really really good result. If he would not have crashed he would have crushed his competition.

Very true mate! WEDNESDAY ATTACK

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

peloton said:
Red Rick said:
It's not the time, it's the form. I doubt he's gonna recover in time for the pyrenees, after which the fight for the win is over.

I think his form is fine, he looks very, very lean and fit. But the crashes have -and will take a toll

You must think, this are 62kg guys with a body fat of 6-7%. If they chrashed with 50, 60 or 70kmph they hurt their muscles and bones completely. It's about morale, about sleeping at night. You get inflammation. Maybe you take antibiotics because of that. You sitting on your bike in another position, that tires your muscles.

It's so much that cost you 3 or 4 percent of your power. And with 380 instead of 400 watts you lose the contact, that cost you morale and so on.....

A pretty heavy fall in a GT is the worst case. Now Contador must recover to be at Froomes and Quintis level in the 3rd week. But to be at the same level is not enough to win the tour.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Nothing can crack me anymore. I mean at the end of the day Contador is a millionaire, won 9 GT's and i found the love of my life.

Who gives a *** that he lost 46 sec. They better gain more time cause in the 3rd week he's gonna unleash hell.

Red Rick said:
Pricey_sky said:
Red Rick said:
It's not the time, it's the form. I doubt he's gonna recover in time for the pyrenees, after which the fight for the win is over.

He could lose time on Wednesday too, the final 40k's are up and down with some steep ramps. His rivals will surely push the pace hard to test him.

Totally. He wasn't top 60 today. He probably blew himself up, but he'll do that again. If they push it on the first climb he'll be bleeding minutes. I'd say don't let Kreuziger wait if he drops, he may ride GC for himself, all the rest on stagehunting should that happen.

I don't think he "blew himself up"....he was simply hampered by his injuries and wasn't able to keep up when the pace was lifted on the climb. I could be wrong, but from what I could make out he was slipping back in the peloton through the last couple of km.

I'm not really a believer in Kreuziger who's form has not really looked anything special over the last couple of years. I think even his domestique duties have been seriously lacking at times and he's the type of person who doesn't deal very well mentally with being a leader. At the same time, I would not waste Kreuziger pointlessly as there are others who can babysit Contador if he does get dropped on the upcoming flat and rolling stages.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I think he should focus on recovery. If he gets a bit better maybe he can go for stage wins, if he doesn't he should just quit and aim for the Vuelta. I really don't think he can match Froome and Quintana like this.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

rhubroma said:
He should reconsider retirement. He would need to be even more motivated next year, but why?

yea ikr, a guy who is second in the UCI ranking. Pretty much performed this entire season should retire :D

RattaKuningas said:
contador_attacks said:
RattaKuningas said:
No champion mentality at all in this forum. Alberto Contador didn't become great by giving up everytime something goes wrong.

It´s over, Ratta. He is destroyed. He should rest now and focus on La Vuelta.

I'm sure that after 2 completely flat stages (3 and 4) he will feel much better if he doesn't crash anymore.

Yep, let's see how it goes one day at a time. Firstly, finishing with the peloton and with no incidents on the flat stage tomorrow will be a minor victory the way things have been going. Then the next challenge will be Wednesday and if he can avoid a time loss there then things will look quite promising. Let's see.

If someone of his caliber can't win the Tour at this stage in his career, he should consider retirement. What does winning another Vuelta mean? Another Giro?

A champion's mentality has got nothing to do with it. He hasn't won the Tour in six years and he isn't competative in this race. He can't seem to stay upright, when in form, or shows up and gets clobbered. He's too good for that.

TRENDING THREADS