• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1570 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
SKSemtex said:
It looks like we can have a nice GC fight this Vuelta, I really want Conti to win and beat Froome here. As much I want Sagan to race Canadian races this year I would prefer him to help Conti in Vuelta instead.

The question is whether he could he be any help for Conti skipping his resting days and doing Olympic MTBrace.

Being the team owner or DS would you instist Sagan to race Vuelta and help Conti or allow him to ride Can. races?

Is winning the UCI team ranking more that having GT winner and scalp of Froome?

Tinkov from http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tinkov-ill-come-back-and-win-the-tour-de-france-when-froome-has-gone/

"Peter's value to the team is so great that he did not have to ask permission to ride the Olympics and the mountain bike race. It means he will miss the Vuelta but that does not really matter. With Alberto Contador we have other targets in Spain. Sagan will ride in Canada and even there he could win. Two in a row at the World Championships? That would certainly be very nice."

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Taxus4a said:
Tonight I will sleep close to Contador hotel, at my aunt home...so I think I will see Contador at the hotel...so if someonne has a question or something to say to him I will do.

I need a small loan of a million dollars

SKSemtex said:
It looks like we can have a nice GC fight this Vuelta, I really want Conti to win and beat Froome here. As much I want Sagan to race Canadian races this year I would prefer him to help Conti in Vuelta instead.

The question is whether he could he be any help for Conti skipping his resting days and doing Olympic MTBrace.

Being the team owner or DS would you instist Sagan to race Vuelta and help Conti or allow him to ride Can. races?

I am SO GLAD Sagan is not there, believe me. TdF stage 3 or which one, I don't want to see it ever again. You might be young, but I rememeber well the years of Telekom with Zabel and Ulrich. This is a proved way how to *** things up. Giro '15 Viviani and Porte. Porte was in a trouble and what? only 3 or 4 riders were with him, because the rest was with Viviani. He got a great help from Clarke, but that's a different story :) I know that Sagan doesn't need as much support as Viviani, but still: what Froome said is right. The team needs to have ONE goal: GC with Bertie. Nothing else. Especially such a weak team like Tinkoff.

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
His ban was the worst thing that happened to cycling. Now, we have a fu#king train over the mountains in le tour. Anyone remember his tour de san luis 2012? It was insane, he would smached that tour even with sky train at top level

Jakub said:
SKSemtex said:

I am SO GLAD Sagan is not there, believe me. TdF stage 3 or which one, I don't want to see it ever again. You might be young, but I rememeber well the years of Telekom with Zabel and Ulrich. This is a proved way how to **** things up. Giro '15 Viviani and Porte. Porte was in a trouble and what? only 3 or 4 riders were with him, because the rest was with Viviani. He got a great help from Clarke, but that's a different story :) I know that Sagan doesn't need as much support as Viviani, but still: what Froome said is right. The team needs to have ONE goal: GC with Bertie. Nothing else. Especially such a weak team like Tinkoff.

Do tell more about Telekom. They did win yellow and green in the same year twice with Zabel on the team and having more climbers instead of, uh, Fagnini, Zabel and Wesemann was not the difference between winning and finishing second.

Jakub said:
SKSemtex said:

I am SO GLAD Sagan is not there, believe me. TdF stage 3 or which one, I don't want to see it ever again. You might be young, but I rememeber well the years of Telekom with Zabel and Ulrich. This is a proved way how to **** things up. Giro '15 Viviani and Porte. Porte was in a trouble and what? only 3 or 4 riders were with him, because the rest was with Viviani. He got a great help from Clarke, but that's a different story :) I know that Sagan doesn't need as much support as Viviani, but still: what Froome said is right. The team needs to have ONE goal: GC with Bertie. Nothing else. Especially such a weak team like Tinkoff.
You did not understand me here.
I do not want Sagan to go to Vuelta to chase his goals. I want him to be full part dom for Conti. Helping Conti in some epic stage to beat Froome and Nairo is for me more then few Vuelta stages :)

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
portugal11 said:
His ban was the worst thing that happened to cycling. Now, we have a fu#king train over the mountains in le tour. Anyone remember his tour de san luis 2012? It was insane, he would smached that tour even with sky train at top level

Hardly insane performance in San Luis
Look to his attacks. For january, it was insane

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Miburo said:
Yea you're right, the level was terrible. It really was Contador's chance to do the double, if only he didn't crash and hurt his knee :(

Giro level that year was btw insane, a lot of big names.

Yeah, Evans won the Tour. Nough said.

Evans won the Tour because he never had a bad day and had no bad luck apart from a puncture on the stage he actually won when he out sprinted Contador. His team got him back to the bunch quickly with 10 kms to go. He would never have raced the Giro that year anyway. BMC signed him cause they thought he could win the Tour and after his disasters in 2009 and 2010 they proved to be right. The chaos of crashes and whatever is beside the point. It happens in every grand tour and for Contador has continued to happen. The problem with the Giro that year was the course not the opposition. Contador himself said after the race, even though he won easily that the race still took a lot out of him.

roundabout said:
Jakub said:
SKSemtex said:

Do tell more about Telekom. They did win yellow and green in the same year twice with Zabel on the team and having more climbers instead of, uh, Fagnini, Zabel and Wesemann was not the difference between winning and finishing second.

I think it was clear I was talking about Armstrong era.

SKSemtex said:
Jakub said:
SKSemtex said:

You did not understand me here.
I do not want Sagan to go to Vuelta to chase his goals. I want him to be full part dom for Conti. Helping Conti in some epic stage to beat Froome and Nairo is for me more then few Vuelta stages :)

Yes - and it would be indeed marvellous, but it would never happen I am afraid, that's why I don't want him there.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Miburo said:
Yea you're right, the level was terrible. It really was Contador's chance to do the double, if only he didn't crash and hurt his knee :(

Giro level that year was btw insane, a lot of big names.

Contador's level was insane, not Giro. Evans and Schleck in Tour 2011 were one level above everyone at that Giro, except Contador of course

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Anyways, its the classic case of Alberto being the most likely winner, but its more likely that he won't won than win. For him to be more likely to win than not, he needs to be the overwhelming favourite (alá Froome after the Pyrenees), but due to the competition and the fact that his injuries may or may not be worse than expected, he is a relatively small favourite. His chances may increase after San Sebastian and/or Burgos.
Actually it's pretty normal. You'll rarely have a scenario with a much bigger favorite than this (for a GT or another big race). Contador is about as big a favorite to win the Vuelta as Froome was to win the Tour.

Jakub said:
roundabout said:
Jakub said:
SKSemtex said:

Maybe you should read my post again then. I even made the relevant part bold.

roundabout said:
Jakub said:
roundabout said:
Jakub said:
SKSemtex said:

Maybe you should read my post again then. I even made the relevant part bold.

Apologies, you are right, I read to too quickly. Well it is always a theorie a would, could, should, but I think it was a part of the difference of finishing first and second. It doesn't have to be climbers, rollers are also ok, but the teams must only have one goal.

Re:

Red Rick said:
It's really a moot argument. Sagan could easily have replaced any man but Poels or Froome on team Sky and he still would've gotten the same results.

Tinkoff is not Sky. Jesus Hernandez and Benjamin Noval could have replaced Dylan Thomas und Mikel Landa, because the rest was strong enough.
But there are situations when it counts that the whole team is there for the GC leader. It can be one moment that decides a lot.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
I reckon Dylan Thomas wouldn't have had the discipline to make it on Team Sky, what with the seventeen whiskies a day and all. Marginal gains would have improved his poetry no end.

Sagan is the ultimate teamate in every team he has been. Just check Daniel Oss's first pro win, his work with Nibali and Kreuz in Liquigas and they way he rides for Contador without saving energy for his own goals.

He's a character with lots of ups and a big down (that RvV podium) but he's a big plus in every line up.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Reading this thread, one would say Contador rides for Cannondale or Lampre, such a weak team...but no, he actually rides for Tinkoff. I smell trolling here :Neutral:

TRENDING THREADS