• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1580 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That team doesn't look too bad. Yes, it could be better, but you really don't need a strong mountain team in the Vuelta. Only if something, like a mechanical, happens during the climb a good mountain helper is a great asset; Kiserlovski may be that men; even Trofimov, if he shows the form of previous years. The weak point, IMO, is the team time trial: it'll be all about trying to lose the least amount of time possible.

Re:

afpm90 said:
That team doesn't look too bad. Yes, it could be better, but you really don't need a strong mountain team in the Vuelta. Only if something, like a mechanical, happens during the climb a good mountain helper is a great asset; Kiserlovski may be that men; even Trofimov, if he shows the form of previous years. The weak point, IMO, is the team time trial: it'll be all about trying to lose the least amount of time possible.

Try telling Purito that

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
afpm90 said:

Try telling Purito that

Who will try something like what Contador did in that year?

afpm90 said:
PremierAndrew said:
afpm90 said:

Try telling Purito that

Froome

afpm90 said:
PremierAndrew said:
afpm90 said:

Try telling Purito that

Froome has nothing to lose, and has the team to pull off a similar move too

PremierAndrew said:
afpm90 said:
PremierAndrew said:
afpm90 said:

Try telling Purito that

We saw that in 2014...

Netserk said:
PremierAndrew said:
afpm90 said:
PremierAndrew said:
afpm90 said:

Try telling Purito that

We saw that in 2014...

He tried dropping Contador on the final climb and failed. He'll have learnt from that, and he'll be more inventive this time if there's enough time between himself and AC if he has the legs to pull it off

Of course, if the gap is small, he might as well just wait for the final climb

PremierAndrew said:
He tried dropping Contador on the final climb and failed. He'll have learnt from that, and he'll be more inventive this time if there's enough time between himself and AC if he has the legs to pull it off

He definitely won't try that again. He's gonna be more tired than he was in 2014. He's climbing form should be even worse. Froome shouldn't be the biggest threat to AC. I think it will be someone who didn't go all out in the Tour and Olympics.

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a doubt about how much time Tinkoff will loose to sky in the firts day? That can be a problem, i think it can be more than a minute, maybe two.

That´s not good.

Re:

filipepc said:
I have a doubt about how much time Tinkoff will loose to sky in the firts day? That can be a problem, i think it can be more than a minute, maybe two.

That´s not good.
I agree that Tinkoff will likely lose time, but I don't think they'll lose as much as you expect. It seems likely that Bennati, Boaro and Gogl will be in the team, add some riders with a decently large engine like Trofimov and Paulinho and they'll be able to limit the damage.

Jspear said:
PremierAndrew said:

He definitely won't try that again. He's gonna be more tired than he was in 2014. He's climbing form should be even worse. Froome shouldn't be the biggest threat to AC. I think it will be someone who didn't go all out in the Tour and Olympics.

Yea, biggest threats should probably be Lopez and the Orica pair, all of whom are unlikely to sacrifice a podium to attack AC

IMA

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
filipepc said:

That´s not good.
I agree that Tinkoff will likely lose time, but I don't think they'll lose as much as you expect. It seems likely that Bennati, Boaro and Gogl will be in the team, add some riders with a decently large engine like Trofimov and Paulinho and they'll be able to limit the damage.

Paulinho got dropped after 1 km in the TTT in Burgos. He´s finished.

Alberto will need someone else apart from Bennati, Boaro and Gogl. Valgren would definetly be a good help.

IMA said:
LaFlorecita said:
filipepc said:

That´s not good.

Paulinho got dropped after 1 km in the TTT in Burgos. He´s finished.

Alberto will need someone else apart from Bennati, Boaro and Gogl. Valgren would definetly be a good help.

yes. And Bodnar, for the christ sake. Let the leaked roster be wrong!

Re:

Red Rick said:
I think there's very few reasons to think Froome will be able to do better than in 2012.

Well, Froome rode 2012 TdF a lot harder, as he was hitting the front much sooner, and Froome didn't really push too hard on any climbs apart from finault and ventoux

Plus he aimed for a week 3 peak, so should be a bit better at the start of the Vuelta, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't drop off after the first rest day.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

PremierAndrew said:
Jspear said:
PremierAndrew said:

Yea, biggest threats should probably be Lopez and the Orica pair, all of whom are unlikely to sacrifice a podium to attack AC

I think Lopez will struggle in the third week; he's never done a GT before and he'll probably go all-out attack in the first two weeks. Chaves is my second favourite for the overall after Contador.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
Cannibal72 said:
I think Lopez will struggle in the third week; he's never done a GT before and he'll probably go all-out attack in the first two weeks. Chaves is my second favourite for the overall after Contador.
For me too. 3rd, Kruijswijk or Quintana
Really want to see how Kruijswijk does in the scorching heat in LaVuelta. Quintana needs to do something here. He gave Movistar nothing in Letour this year. Last year he tried to win the race on stage 20. He needs to answer to all the hype he gets. IMHO. He beat Rigo at the Giro on a controversial weather day.

Really would like to see Lopez Podium.

I'm sorry to crush your dream lenric, but our fellow buddy Betancour isn't going to race in LV. I think he's biggest goal for the rest of the season is trying to become World Champion. He has the potential.

Looking at team trek and their signings this year I'm really curious what his next tdf team will be. Trek is a good team on the flat but has hardly any really good climbing domestiques. Pantano is really good but I don't really know the other new Trek riders. And since schleck and hesjedal retire and mollema probably doesn't want to work as a domestique the best climber in the team besides pantano will probably be a 40 year old ninja. Moreover degenklolb will also want a few helpers so there aren't many spots left anyway. Maybe mollema should ride the giro as the leader and then the tdf as a domestique but I don't really think that will be the case.

TRENDING THREADS