• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1668 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I also think both are true. He never had a rival like peak Froome during the 2007-2011 period when Contador was clearly at his most dominant. It was a fairly soft time for pro cycling, with Andy Schleck the strongest rival of a fairly mediocre lot. But Schleck couldn't really TT, so Alberto definitely had the edge.

Now he has rivals who are stronger than him and he is past his best. Although he says his numbers are better than ever, which is a little confusing.

KGB

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Re:

lenric said:
I believe it his a combination of two factors: his competition is much better and he's past his best.
And main factor:He could not stay on his bike and always injured after that.Froome and Quintana are better even in this basic thing.

Re:

buchanan said:
I also think both are true. He never had a rival like peak Froome during the 2007-2011 period when Contador was clearly at his most dominant. It was a fairly soft time for pro cycling, with Andy Schleck the strongest rival of a fairly mediocre lot. But Schleck couldn't really TT, so Alberto definitely had the edge.

Now he has rivals who are stronger than him and he is past his best. Although he says his numbers are better than ever, which is a little confusing.

He can say whatever he wants, but what matters the most is what happens when the race begins.

Re: Re:

dacooley said:
Miburo said:
That's what the journalists always do. They ask someone a question, if they say yes, then they state it like the person made that very claim himself.

In this case, itisnt so bad, journalists have done worse stuff, they're scum after all. Just like politicians
How about forum members that tend to claim froome and Quintana would again get their as$beating in july? :eek:

How can you compare primarily anonymous posts with someone that actually has their name behind what is written and quoted and this is recognized as their job? :confused:

I still believe that if he reaches again the level of this spring, he will worthily challenge Froome and Quintana. In certain one week races could actually beat them but through the three weeks of a GT , in the long run he will be defeated

Meh...all the stars would have to come together for Bertie. And Sky will come with the A team. Dawg will be in the TdF. The 100th Giro bait doesn't matter for Skypostalshack. My heart will be for Alberto to defeat the forces of evil, but my brains knows that he won't win. Sorry :eek: ...

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
Re:

buchanan said:

The best thing to compare are the TT's from 2009-2011 and today.

At his very best (in 2009) he was able to beat Cancellara, Wiggins, Larsson, Zabriskie, Martin, Millar, Grabsch, Rogers, etc at the TDF TT in Annecy at a flat course with an average speed of 51kph! Only was beaten by Cancellara at the prologe because of the downhill. Won the TT in Algarve, in Paris-Nice, in Pais Vasco and the Spanish Championships. He was the best TTer in the world. And we all know Cancellaras 2009 Mendriosio TT...

Look at the TT results in 2015 or 2016 on flat courses.

4th at Ruta del Sol behind guys like Coppel. 67th and 16th at Tirreno. 3rd at the long Giro TT. 46th at TDF. 13th at Algarve, 27th at Paris Nice, 8th at Vuelta.

I think its enough said. If he says that his numbers today are better than 2009.... :lol:

Alberto just posted this photo on Instagram :eek: :eek:
28hdiqd.jpg

Re:

Matteo. said:
I still believe that if he reaches again the level of this spring, he will worthily challenge Froome and Quintana. In certain one week races could actually beat them but through the three weeks of a GT , in the long run he will be defeated

He said before la Vuelta he was at his best and he showed his best all the Vuelta, he could even drop Froome sometimes as in la Camperona.. stop with that BS he was not at his best. Cotador has never been so strong as this Vuelta.

numbers said that, he has never been after his sation as strog as quitana or froome, except he wast peaking, as Froome 2014 (but Alberto wanst stroger really, just lucky) Vuelta or Quitana 2014 Tirreno, or in a rpute perfect for him as Pais Vasco.

If Contador put to Froome 1,5 min at the TTT and Quitana crash the second stage Contador win this Vuelta, becouse is just to follow Froome as he did in 2014.. and he can do that if he is so strong at he was now or in2014.

Taxus4a said:
Matteo. said:

He said before la Vuelta he was at his best and he showed his best all the Vuelta, he could even drop Froome sometimes as in la Camperona.. stop with that BS he was not at his best. Cotador has never been so strong as this Vuelta.
Oh just stop :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

numbers said that, he has ever bee after his satio as strog as quitaa or froome, except he wast peaking, as Froome 2014 (but alberto wanst stroger reallu, just lucky) Vuelta or quitana 2014Vuelta, or i a ropute perfect for him as Pais Vasco.
:confused:

Taxus4a said:
Matteo. said:

numbers said that, he has ever bee after his satio as strog as quitaa or froome, except he wast peaking, as Froome 2014 (but alberto wanst stroger reallu, just lucky) Vuelta or quitana 2014Vuelta, or i a ropute perfect for him as Pais Vasco.

If Contador put to Froome 1,5 min at the TTT and Quitaa crash the secod stage Contador win this Vuelta, becouse is just to follow Froome as he did in 2014.. and he can do that if he is so strong at he was now or i 2014.
I know you are analyzing cycling, but please throw away your calculator and watch the races instead.

LaFlorecita said:
Taxus4a said:
Matteo. said:

Oh just stop :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:confused:

sorry, I managed to edit already, before I am banned again...

Gigs_98 said:
Taxus4a said:
Matteo. said:

If Contador put to Froome 1,5 min at the TTT and Quitaa crash the secod stage Contador win this Vuelta, becouse is just to follow Froome as he did in 2014.. and he can do that if he is so strong at he was now or i 2014.
I know you are analyzing cycling, but please throw away your calculator and watch the races instead.

What I see in 2014 is that Contador was lucky Froome did a mistake in the ITT, and he has just to follow Froome.. this year he need to attack, so he lost time, the only differece.

He was better than Froome at la camperona this year and worse in 2014, what you mean,that according to that he was better now?? no, the same he wasnt better in 2014 becouse he droped Froome in Ancares or Farrapona, just a few secod nafter to be wheelsuker him a lot..it is like if Quitana attack 1 km before Aitana, for sure he get 15 seconds...

That is ehat I saw,what you saw?

Besides, what I saw is accordig with numbers.. beter number of Contador ever in Covadonga.

What are you powerfull argumets?

If cotador didnt beat quitana and Froome as she did in the past is becoue he is weaker now...

Did he beat quitaa in Cataluña, didhe beat Froome at Dauphine?? didhe beat them peaking out of Pais Vasco anytimes??

NO

Taxus4a said:
Gigs_98 said:
Taxus4a said:
Matteo. said:

What I see in 2014 is that Contador was lucky Froome did a mistake in the ITT, and he has just to follow Froome.. this year he need to attack, so he lost time, the only differece.

He was better than Froome at la camperona this year and worse in 2014, what you mean,that according to that he was better now?? no, the same he wasnt better in 2014 becouse he droped Froome in Ancares or Farrapona, just a few secod nafter to be wheelsuker him a lot..it is like if Quitana attack 1 km before Aitana, for sure he get 15 seconds...

That is ehat I saw,what you saw?

Besides, what I saw is accordig with numbers.. beter number of Contador ever in Covadonga.

What are you powerfull argumets?

If cotador didnt beat quitana and Froome as she did in the past is becoue he is weaker now...

Did he beat quitaa in Cataluña, didhe beat Froome at Dauphine?? didhe beat them peaking out of Pais Vasco anytimes??

NO
Contador gained time on Froome in La Camperona because Froome blew himself up, just as Contador started the climb to fast in 2014. Instead let's take a look at all the other mtf's, because in almost all of them Contador was dropped by Froome, although he just followed him like in 2014. The big difference is that this year Froome has the Tour and the Olympics in his legs, while in 2014 the Vuelta was his first real gt.

And you have already posted often enough that his numbers in Covadonga were better than in 2012 and 2014, but that doesn't automatically mean he was also better this year. The pace was simply higher since Froome dropped early on and therefore there was a high pace for the whole climb. Or do you think Valverde, Chaves and Scarponi are all better than the best Contador ever because they beat him there.

I also don't think Quintana and Froome have such a superb statistic against Contador if you take out 2013. Or do you also think that Contador had his best numbers in that year?

We can all try to deny reality, but Contador had his peak pre Froome, 2007-2011. There really isn't much more to it. Whether Contador had better numbers in 2012, 2014 or 2016 doesn't tell much. I don't know if Taxus is right, but Froome has simply been better than Alberto from 2012 and onwards, especially super peaking-wise. There is absolutely no contest.

TRENDING THREADS