• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1713 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Kokoso said:
I would expect some team bashing on this forum after today. Not much help in the echelons (or downright crap?). Be it Tinkoff, I think critics would be here already. But this is not Tinkoff, is it? That could be the point actually.

There would be a lot of it if some of his teammates hadn't redeemed themselves by catching back up to his group and then hammering it to bring his group back.
Yes, I complained in the race thread but as you say, they were brilliant in the second half of the race

Red Rick said:
Angliru said:
Red Rick said:
Once again, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory

He didn't crash again did he? :(
Nah, was almost 2 minutes down in an echelon, but got picked up by a larger echelon from behind and that big group worked well to close down the gap quite easily in the end. Front group was simply too small

Thanks! I was worried. I'll watch it tonight.

Inquitus said:
rune1107 said:
Huge increase in Alberto's chances of winning this now. With Porte chasing stages, it will be the likes of Henao, Alaphillipe, Zakarin etc, who will try to hold Alberto's wheel. Hopefully tomorrow will be a bit easier than the past days, and he can smash the TT on Wednesday!

Don't count out Dan Martin for the GC, these gaps make it very interesting, Alberto prob won't make up a whole minute in the TT so will make for an epic couple of days in the mountains!

On his Day Martin can be very good in the mountains but he's not consistent. Alaphillipe probably won't last but I think Zakarin is a different matter, hopefully there are no technical descents ! BMC won't be happy at all. Poor team performance. Things don't look so bad for Contador now. Porte could help Contador in the mountains as he won't be holding back or playing tactics as BMC will want to salvage a stage win. That's if Porte can recover from his miserable start to the race.

So Porte lost 14 mins yesterday and is still taking part in the race knowing he can't win it (looking for stage wins/team player). Would Contador do the same if he was so far behind or just say stuff it and call it a day as he would have no chance of winning it? Would Contador stay behind to help the team to win the race/stages either for a better placed rider on GC on his team or for a sprinter? I'm new with this cycling game so I don't know the history of Contador, only what I read on these forums.

This isn't a dig at the fans but he does tend to have the win at all costs attitude or if I can't win I will cause mayhem for all the other GC riders, i.e. Vuelta 16.

wheresmybrakes said:
So Porte lost 14 mins yesterday and is still taking part in the race knowing he can't win it (looking for stage wins/team player). Would Contador do the same if he was so far behind or just say stuff it and call it a day as he would have no chance of winning it? Would Contador stay behind to help the team to win the race/stages either for a better placed rider on GC on his team or for a sprinter? I'm new with this cycling game so I don't know the history of Contador, only what I read on these forums.

This isn't a dig at the fans but he does tend to have the win at all costs attitude or if I can't win I will cause mayhem for all the other GC riders, i.e. Vuelta 16.
I think these days, he'd just come up with an excuse and pull out. It's a slightly different situation though; because Contador had five years at the start of his career where he won routinely and, at his best, was pretty much guaranteed a win because he was a fair bit stronger than his rivals. It must be more difficult to accept a decline in standards and ability relative to others, once you have already been on the top.

Porte on the other hand, has nowhere near that level of achievement to fall back on. If he started withdrawing - considering his fairly average palmares - it would look a bit like he had ideas above his station. Plus, its still good training miles and fighting through tough conditions is good for hardening the mentality.

I like that reply, suppose knowing he is in decline a little, it could be a little frustrating for him knowing that he can't achieve the levels he once had and the best he can do is outwit his rivals rather than be stronger. Suppose Froome thought similar at the tour last year where he caught out Quintana with the downhill attack and hitting the break with Sagan instead of just relying on being stronger in the mountains. Contadors rivals must know that he is in decline but they will never let him off the leash.

wheresmybrakes said:

He hasn't ever really been in that situation (I guess that tells us a lot...) but in 2011 at the Vuelta a Castilla y Leon he suffered 3 consecutive punctures on the mountain stage, 2 of them on the final mountain, so he rolled in over 3 minutes back. He then went on to win the ITT ahead of his teammate, Little Richie ;)

gregrowlerson said:
Red Rick said:
I'm not very sure Porte will race against Sky.

I can see it now. Porte and Contador get the gap on Henao over the 'Eze on the final stage, but Richie refuses to work for Alberto.

Sky win and forum goes into meltdown :D

You are almost getting into Gerrans territory there ! Every time his name is mentioned you can hear fingernails down the blackboard !

Re:

Red Rick said:

I think that's been done to death. Porte would never sacrifice a win for Sky. As I recall he was attacking Froome in the Tour but of course it's the turns that they did together that are remembered. Porte had already lost time in the Tour so he had no choice and had to work with anyone he could. Anyone would think they are ex lovers or something. Maybe when Froome and Porte fell on the Ventoux Froome should have stopped to pick flowers so his run had a more romantic look when it was replayed in slow motion. Newsflash : Froome chases lover clutching wildflowers..............

movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:

I think that's been done to death. Porte would never sacrifice a win for Sky. As I recall he was attacking Froome in the Tour but of course it's the turns that they did together that are remembered. Porte had already lost time in the Tour so he had no choice and had to work with anyone he could. Anyone would think they are ex lovers or something. Maybe when Froome and Porte fell on the Ventoux Froome should have stopped to pick flowers so his run had a more romantic look when it was replayed in slow motion. Newsflash : Froome chases lover clutching wildflowers..............
Porte had something to win there himself. Porte can help Contador, or sit on his wheel and outsprint him in the end. Helping Contador doesn't benefit Porte, and it's detrimental to Porte's old team full of pals. He was happy with Thomas winning last year. He's not gonna work with Contador, unless it's absolutely required to win a stage

LaFlorecita said:
wheresmybrakes said:

He hasn't ever really been in that situation (I guess that tells us a lot...) but in 2011 at the Vuelta a Castilla y Leon he suffered 3 consecutive punctures on the mountain stage, 2 of them on the final mountain, so he rolled in over 3 minutes back. He then went on to win the ITT ahead of his teammate, Little Richie ;)

Looked up that particular TT. Contador, Porte Quintana and Froome amongst the first 15riders there.

2011 looks like ages ago.

DFA123 said:
wheresmybrakes said:

I think these days, he'd just come up with an excuse and pull out. It's a slightly different situation though; because Contador had five years at the start of his career where he won routinely and, at his best, was pretty much guaranteed a win because he was a fair bit stronger than his rivals. It must be more difficult to accept a decline in standards and ability relative to others, once you have already been on the top.

Porte on the other hand, has nowhere near that level of achievement to fall back on. If he started withdrawing - considering his fairly average palmares - it would look a bit like he had ideas above his station. Plus, its still good training miles and fighting through tough conditions is good for hardening the mentality.
This. Couldn't say it any better.

Porte has a big chance of winning the mountain stage now. Especially at this moment that he does not have anything to lose. He can only follow wheels and then outsprint whoever is at the front.

movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:

Pity posters have short memories - During the Cadel Evans RR when Porte attacked with 4kms to go, it was Froome who brought back Porte's attack - Funniest thing is the commentators stated Froome would let Porte go because they are mates.

Escarabajo said:
DFA123 said:
wheresmybrakes said:

This. Couldn't say it any better.

Porte has a big chance of winning the mountain stage now. Especially at this moment that he does not have anything to lose. He can only follow wheels and then outsprint whoever is at the front.

Actually Porte can attack the climb at anytime because he's no threat to GC.

Right, Alberto survived the stage. We'll see what he can do tomorrow, hopefully he's well enough recovered from the first two stages. He'll be the first of the GC contenders to start so that'll be a bit of a disadvantage for him but at least he'll have Porte's time as a reference. I won't be able to watch but I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:

Pity posters have short memories - During the Cadel Evans RR when Porte attacked with 4kms to go, it was Froome who brought back Porte's attack - Funniest thing is the commentators stated Froome would let Porte go because they are mates.
Pity posters can't tell the difference between situation where reacting or cooperating does and does not matter for the rider itself.

Also, Contador dropping out if he missed the echelons stage yesterday isn't a thing that happens. Riders need racing at this stage in the year. It's probably better to ride than to not ride for the season up until after the TdF probably.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Right, Alberto survived the stage. We'll see what he can do tomorrow, hopefully he's well enough recovered from the first two stages. He'll be the first of the GC contenders to start so that'll be a bit of a disadvantage for him but at least he'll have Porte's time as a reference. I won't be able to watch but I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Not sure if Porte will go full gas today or save himself for the big mountain stage. Let's see.

With Porte out, Contador chances got much better. Zakarin is the main problem.

TRENDING THREADS