• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1714 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

WheelofGear said:
LaFlorecita said:
Right, Alberto survived the stage. We'll see what he can do tomorrow, hopefully he's well enough recovered from the first two stages. He'll be the first of the GC contenders to start so that'll be a bit of a disadvantage for him but at least he'll have Porte's time as a reference. I won't be able to watch but I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Not sure if Porte will go full gas today or save himself for the big mountain stage. Let's see.

With Porte out, Contador chances got much better. Zakarin is the main problem.

99% sure Porte will go all out tomorrow. He is one of the main favorites for the stage..

rune1107 said:
WheelofGear said:
LaFlorecita said:
Right, Alberto survived the stage. We'll see what he can do tomorrow, hopefully he's well enough recovered from the first two stages. He'll be the first of the GC contenders to start so that'll be a bit of a disadvantage for him but at least he'll have Porte's time as a reference. I won't be able to watch but I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Not sure if Porte will go full gas today or save himself for the big mountain stage. Let's see.

With Porte out, Contador chances got much better. Zakarin is the main problem.

99% sure Porte will go all out tomorrow. He is one of the main favorites for the stage..

But he has lost the GC. Why not saving your legs for the mountain stages?

Red Rick said:
yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:
I'm not very sure Porte will race against Sky.

I think that's been done to death. Porte would never sacrifice a win for Sky. As I recall he was attacking Froome in the Tour but of course it's the turns that they did together that are remembered. Porte had already lost time in the Tour so he had no choice and had to work with anyone he could. Anyone would think they are ex lovers or something. Maybe when Froome and Porte fell on the Ventoux Froome should have stopped to pick flowers so his run had a more romantic look when it was replayed in slow motion. Newsflash : Froome chases lover clutching wildflowers..............

Pity posters have short memories - During the Cadel Evans RR when Porte attacked with 4kms to go, it was Froome who brought back Porte's attack - Funniest thing is the commentators stated Froome would let Porte go because they are mates.
Pity posters can't tell the difference between situation where reacting or cooperating does and does not matter for the rider itself.

Also, Contador dropping out if he missed the echelons stage yesterday isn't a thing that happens. Riders need racing at this stage in the year. It's probably better to ride than to not ride for the season up until after the TdF probably.

Pity the facts hurt in a forum full of misplaced assertions - Whether you like it or not, Froome and Porte are on different teams and want to win or have their team-mates win.

And I made no mention of Contador dropping out of the PN - Why drop out when you can still win a stage ? And you will have freedom from your competitors to chase the stage.

yaco said:
Red Rick said:
yaco said:
movingtarget said:
Red Rick said:
I'm not very sure Porte will race against Sky.

I think that's been done to death. Porte would never sacrifice a win for Sky. As I recall he was attacking Froome in the Tour but of course it's the turns that they did together that are remembered. Porte had already lost time in the Tour so he had no choice and had to work with anyone he could. Anyone would think they are ex lovers or something. Maybe when Froome and Porte fell on the Ventoux Froome should have stopped to pick flowers so his run had a more romantic look when it was replayed in slow motion. Newsflash : Froome chases lover clutching wildflowers..............

Pity posters have short memories - During the Cadel Evans RR when Porte attacked with 4kms to go, it was Froome who brought back Porte's attack - Funniest thing is the commentators stated Froome would let Porte go because they are mates.
Pity posters can't tell the difference between situation where reacting or cooperating does and does not matter for the rider itself.

Also, Contador dropping out if he missed the echelons stage yesterday isn't a thing that happens. Riders need racing at this stage in the year. It's probably better to ride than to not ride for the season up until after the TdF probably.

Pity the facts hurt in a forum full of misplaced assertions - Whether you like it or not, Froome and Porte are on different teams and want to win or have their team-mates win.

And I made no mention of Contador dropping out of the PN - Why drop out when you can still win a stage ? And you will have freedom from your competitors to chase the stage.

The latter wasn't a reaction to you, I should've multiquoted :eek:

Re:

portugal11 said:
Contador wasn't impressive. I was expecting a better time in mont brouilly. He was beaten by porte.
For me is game over

He was beaten by 4 sec on the climb by Porte. Did you see how Porte was riding the flat part? Extremely cautious and didn't go as hard as Alberto. They are very equal when the road gets steep..

Irondan said:
Red Rick said:
Porte didnt bother at all on the flat. Hes a poor indication
Why, is he saving himself for a road stage win? He was one of the favorites for this TT, instead AC beat him senseless, even Michael Matthews beat him...
I don't know if this is the reason, but if the roads were wet then there was no reason to risk it if you are already out of GC. Go full gas on the mountain to test yourself.

Red Rick said:
Irondan said:
Red Rick said:
Porte didnt bother at all on the flat. Hes a poor indication
Why, is he saving himself for a road stage win? He was one of the favorites for this TT, instead AC beat him senseless, even Michael Matthews beat him...
I don't know. But if you ride the fastest climb but don't lose like a minute to the winner on the flat, your doing something weird.
Probably saving himself to peak for the Woollongong Crit or something in a few weeks. Just doing an interval on the climb to stop the legs from blocking up.

I can see Alaphilippe try and hang on to Alberto when he attacks, and I think the fact that Alaphilippe rarely rides in a calculated manner, but instead responds instantly to attacks will present itself as an opportunity for Alberto to really try and crack him. He is not the worst opponent to ride against for Alberto in that sense - but 1½ minutes is a lot and will likely require that Alberto gains time on more than one occasion. Also, there are 5 other good GC riders (I don't count Gilbert) in front of him, that he also needs to distance.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
I can see Alaphilippe try and hang on to Alberto when he attacks, and I think the fact that Alaphilippe rarely rides in a calculated manner, but instead responds instantly to attacks will present itself as an opportunity for Alberto to really try and crack him. He is not the worst opponent to ride against for Alberto in that sense - but 1½ minutes is a lot and will likely require that Alberto gains time on more than one occasion. Also, there are 5 other good GC riders (I don't count Gilbert) in front of him, that he also needs to distance.
This exactly. He has to worry about too many opponents. Sorry, I can't see him winning anymore - he needed to gain more time today.
He'll probably end 2nd or 3rd again, uuuh I can't deal with anymore podiums :( :(