• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1803 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Lexman said:
Pantani_lives said:
It would be great for the race if Contador attacked from far out while still in contention for the GC. I'm thinking of the Mont du Chat and the Galibier, but even that short stage to Foix could be interesting for a surprise action. Ideal would be a coalition between Contador and another climber.

Bardet would come to my mind or Majka but this one would just wheelsuck for the KOM points
If Majka has GC to ride for, he rides. See the 2nd last stage of the 2015 Vuelta where he worked with Purito and made the podium.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Crap news about Cardoso :(
Horrible news for him and his young family, indeed. And for the team, of course. I don't think Zubeldia is much of a replacement.

Re: Mollema. I skimmed through an interview yesterday where he mentioned that he got on really well with Contador and De Jongh. I can read Dutch okay and think he'll do what is expected of him. Only question for me is his form.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
LaFlorecita said:
Crap news about Cardoso :(
Horrible news for him and his young family, indeed. And for the team, of course. I don't think Zubeldia is much of a replacement.
Just terrible for everyone involved :(

Re: Mollema. I skimmed through an interview yesterday where he mentioned that he got on really well with Contador and De Jongh. I can read Dutch okay and think he'll do what is expected of him. Only question for me is his form.
Where did you read that interview? I'd be interested

LaFlorecita said:
NU Sport TDF special. They gave them away for free at Kruidvat yesterday.

18-Valve. (pithy) said:
LaFlorecita said:
NU Sport TDF special. They gave them away for free at Kruidvat yesterday.
Cool. I'll have a look :)

I'm relieved to see De Kort's comments that the entire team will ride for Contador.

Re:

Pantani_lives said:
It would be great for the race if Contador attacked from far out while still in contention for the GC. I'm thinking of the Mont du Chat and the Galibier, but even that short stage to Foix could be interesting for a surprise action. Ideal would be a coalition between Contador and another climber.
Quintana owes him.
http://tiz-cycling.racing/video/la-vuelta-2016-stage-15-full-stage/

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Re:

bajbar said:
Rain is forecasted for stages 1 and 2. I think Contador likes rain so that should be good for the TT. But the second stage will be very dangerous with wet roads... And very nervous...

..... His tour is already over...

TourOfSardinia said:
[quote="Pantani_lives":l2qc7drv]It would be great for the race if Contador attacked from far out while still in contention for the GC. I'm thinking of the Mont du Chat and the Galibier, but even that short stage to Foix could be interesting for a surprise action. Ideal would be a coalition between Contador and another climber.
Quintana owes him.
http://tiz-cycling.racing/video/la-vuelta-2016-stage-15-full-stage/[/quote]

Don't bother he will spend 99.99% of the time on Froome's wheel

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site
Rain in the time trial is bad for contador... now it is all about bike handling and he isn't good nowadays.
I am more afraid of stage 3,it is very similar to stage 2 of last year

Re:

portugal11 said:
Rain in the time trial is bad for contador... now it is all about bike handling and he isn't good nowadays.

There are (apparently) no technical corners at all. Bike handling shouldn't be an issue. His best (TT) performances in last couple of years came in rain - Giro 2015, Pais Vasco 2016... Monday at least should be dry, so there will be less chaos - but the race to the foot of the final climb will still be frantic.

Though on the other note, the new rules state that the gaps in sprint finishes will only be declared if the gap is more than 3 seconds (now it was 1 second), so this should lead at least to more relaxed last three kilometres for the GC guys.

bajbar said:
portugal11 said:

There are (apparently) no technical corners at all. Bike handling shouldn't be an issue. His best (TT) performances in last couple of years came in rain - Giro 2015, Pais Vasco 2016... Monday at least should be dry, so there will be less chaos - but the race to the foot of the final climb will still be frantic.

Though on the other note, the new rules state that the gaps in sprint finishes will only be declared if the gap is more than 3 seconds (now it was 1 second), so this should lead at least to more relaxed last three kilometres for the GC guys.

But will that rule apply on Monday with an uphill finish? Disgraceful if it does.

tobydawq said:
bajbar said:
portugal11 said:

But will that rule apply on Monday with an uphill finish? Disgraceful if it does.

It applies to expected sprint stages. So 2, 6, 7, 10, 16, 19 and 21 I think.

So no, it does not apply to Monday.

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site

King Boonen said:
tobydawq said:
bajbar said:
portugal11 said:

That is absolutely terrific news. Not only a les stressful final 3k, but overall a less stressful stage. Less incentive to be at the front all the time.

May 20, 2015
Visit site

Pennino said:
King Boonen said:
tobydawq said:
bajbar said:
portugal11 said:

That is absolutely terrific news. Not only a les stressful final 3k, but overall a less stressful stage. Less incentive to be at the front all the time.

I'm not sure it will change a thing. I think it will be as stressful as it used to be

EDIT: https://www.instagram.com/p/BV4mCvklD8c/ hype train or not ? :razz: :razz:

Pennino said:
King Boonen said:
tobydawq said:
bajbar said:
portugal11 said:

Hopefully yes. I would have preferred a fully neutralised sprint zone personally but I think this is also a good idea.