Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1870 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Carols said:
bob.a.feet said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Why would he forge an alliance with Quintana?
I mean, why wouldn't he? They are in the exact same position. Contador going up the road alone wont lead to anything now that Landa most probably won't join in. Then you have Barguil. The big question in Quintana's legs tho.
I think it would be better for Contador to go up the road with a GC contender so he can work with them and go for the stage uncontested. If Alberto and Nairo go up the road they would both be looking for a stage. Still could happen, but going with a GC contender would give him better odds of a stage win.
And what GC contender would be allowed to just go away?
One who can follow Contador, and one who's better than Froome's best domestique at that moment.

The obvious answer is Mikel Landani
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Carols said:
bob.a.feet said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Why would he forge an alliance with Quintana?
I mean, why wouldn't he? They are in the exact same position. Contador going up the road alone wont lead to anything now that Landa most probably won't join in. Then you have Barguil. The big question in Quintana's legs tho.
I think it would be better for Contador to go up the road with a GC contender so he can work with them and go for the stage uncontested. If Alberto and Nairo go up the road they would both be looking for a stage. Still could happen, but going with a GC contender would give him better odds of a stage win.
And what GC contender would be allowed to just go away?
One who can follow Contador, and one who's better than Froome's best domestique at that moment.

The obvious answer is Mikel Landani
Yes he is the only one Sky would let go and even Berto can beat him in a sprint :). Works for me but we'll see if Sky let's him go.....
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Why would he forge an alliance with Quintana?
I mean, why wouldn't he? They are in the exact same position. Contador going up the road alone wont lead to anything now that Landa most probably won't join in. Then you have Barguil. The big question in Quintana's legs tho.
I don't dispute there might be an "alliance" in one of the stages just because they're away together like with Landa on stage 13 but I don't understand portugal11' comment that he will make an alliance with Quintana. I don't see that as certain at all, it's not like they have a big history with each other.
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Valv.Piti said:
LaFlorecita said:
Why would he forge an alliance with Quintana?
I mean, why wouldn't he? They are in the exact same position. Contador going up the road alone wont lead to anything now that Landa most probably won't join in. Then you have Barguil. The big question in Quintana's legs tho.
I don't dispute there might be an "alliance" in one of the stages just because they're away together like with Landa on stage 13 but I don't understand portugal11' comment that he will make an alliance with Quintana. I don't see that as certain at all, it's not like they have a big history with each other.
He is certainly the most obvious 'partner' at this moment.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Red Rick said:
Quintana is a very likely partner in terms of having nothing to lose and not giving shits about a top 10 place. Quintana's form would be the main question mark here, and it does not seem to be improving.
Yes, thats obviously assuming Quintana actually has something left.
Quintana is getting worse. He will drop further next week probably and he paid for what he did on the short stage. Aru and Bardet have to attack and Uran it remains to be seen if he can or not. Martin will keep trying. Froome will also want a bigger margin. All of this is not good news for Quintana. Movistar need a stage win but I don't think Quintana will be able to do it. I am sure Contador will look for opportunities.
 
Re: Re:

Not sure if this has come about due to a lot of the recent discussion about Alberto apparently no longer having the balls, but I decided to write this little piece after yesterday’s brief tease….


At thirty-four, Alberta decided to risk it all one more time. She entered the bull ring.

Metaphorically speaking of course, for she entered a club, the club. All sorts of things went on in here, but what happens in the club, stays in the club. Omerta, you know what I’m saying?

She had prepared as best she could. There had been hours, days, weeks and months of preparation. She was in her peak condition, for the now. But taking on board fluids as she rested in amongst the crowd in her tight, body hugging outfit….she wondered if she still had it.

For in the pack, it seemed as if there weren’t as many eyes on her as there had been before. There were new opponents. Younger opponents. And she knew that she could only compete with them for so long. There hadn’t been too many Alexandra’s. Or Kristina’s.

So….was Alberta still relevant in this club?

She took a deep breath, stepped out alone, away from all of that protection, towards the dance floor.

She hadn’t even started dancing, not really. And immediately she was swarmed. By all of the men in white. How stupid were they? Who makes their big move when it is so far before midnight? And on a Sunday? Only someone with some sense would make their big move after TUEsday.

These men used to wear black. Still, the game hadn’t changed.

Alberta smiled. “Still got it,” she thought to herself, as she quickly headed back for more refreshments, and planned her next move.

The men didn’t interest her, not particularly. Only one caught her eye. And what red blooded female wouldn’t be affected at all by those eyebrows?

She knew that soon enough, that she would dance with him. But only as a means to an end. She would use him. For she knew that no man -
no matter how handsomely removed from an alien that they appeared to be - could ever live up to the hype. Once he had done enough leading (and perhaps even given her more refreshments) she would be feeling good enough, and at once, she would drop him like a stone.

And be the belle of the ball.

She left the club – on this night – apparently having accomplished nothing at all. But on the inside, she knew that everything was coming together just nicely.

“And if you thought that was dancing, then just wait until next week! I will set this floor on fire!”

The stage was set.

Anyone with half a brain could Telegraphe this move from a mile away, but fortunately for Alberta, most men are pretty stupid.
 
I don't think he should try to form an alliance with any GC contender. He should just go for the classic option of a man in the break, then he attacks, teammate drops back and paces him to the break. Considering how strong Mollema looks, he would be the best person to put in the break. I think that he's far enough back that Sky would be happy to control him at about 2-3mins and then they'd expect to close that to around 1min in the finale.
 
Jul 1, 2013
1,952
0
0
Contador should be able to show his very best this week. Any negative effect from falls should be past. He has prepared meticulously for this race and given how crap he was in Dauphine I imagine he was preparing to be good towards last week. If possible Froome will want to take the stage to Izoard so he simply has to follow and drop him.

Time to put his money where his mouth is.
 
Jun 25, 2015
1,700
0
0
I don't see him doing great things this week.
For sure some attacks here and there, but nothing more. Stages don't suit his current level. By now we can see gleams of Its greatness in short stages
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
bob.a.feet said:
Is it true that Alberto had the fastest ascent of Alpe d'Huez in 2010? That seems like ****** because I've never heard it mentioned before.
you mean of all time? Nah, not even close. I believe that was reported back then but turned out it was a timing error.
Usually on Wikipedia it lists Pantani's as the fastest but today it listed Contador and I was so confused.
 
Re: Re:

bob.a.feet said:
LaFlorecita said:
bob.a.feet said:
Is it true that Alberto had the fastest ascent of Alpe d'Huez in 2010? That seems like ****** because I've never heard it mentioned before.
you mean of all time? Nah, not even close. I believe that was reported back then but turned out it was a timing error.
Usually on Wikipedia it lists Pantani's as the fastest but today it listed Contador and I was so confused.
this is where I read it originally http://nos.nl/video/247914-record-contador-op-alpe-d-huez.html
his time was 41'30" actually, I believe
 
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
bob.a.feet said:
LaFlorecita said:
bob.a.feet said:
Is it true that Alberto had the fastest ascent of Alpe d'Huez in 2010? That seems like ****** because I've never heard it mentioned before.
you mean of all time? Nah, not even close. I believe that was reported back then but turned out it was a timing error.
Usually on Wikipedia it lists Pantani's as the fastest but today it listed Contador and I was so confused.
this is where I read it originally http://nos.nl/video/247914-record-contador-op-alpe-d-huez.html
his time was 41'30" actually, I believe
Thanks. For a while I thought I had gone 7 years not knowing the fastest Alpe time :lol:
 
Re:

bob.a.feet said:
Is it true that Alberto had the fastest ascent of Alpe d'Huez in 2010? That seems like *******t because I've never heard it mentioned before.
If he did, it would've been in the Dauphine since they didn't climb the Alpe at the Tour that year.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Eshnar Professional Road Racing 69
Eshnar Professional Road Racing 93

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS