• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 2027 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Of course that needs to be taken into account too. But at a purely sporting perspective, it was sad to see him bow out so early.

Five years before Valverde who is two years older than him (I'm not saying he should have continued seven more years, though).

As a fan I would have loved to see him continue and it is always sad when a rider of his caliber retires. So many memories of watching him race. At least it is not a "what if?" situation. He won it all and he had 15 seasons as a pro. Still being one of the best riders in the peloton when he retired. I like the bittersweet ending from a fans perspective. Sad to see him go but he ended on a good note.

Valverde is just Valverde. He is great and incredible what he can do still, but he would probably have retired earlier if it wasnt for his loyalty to the team. There is also factors like his serious injury in 2017. He wanted/needed to recover, came back and managed to win the WC, so of course he had to race another year with the jersey in 2019.

Then if I am just speculating he might have wanted to retire after 2020, if the pandemic didnt happen. This year he might have thought about it too but Movistar in Movistar-fashion Movistared come the end of the season. They still need him more as a rider than anything else, if he still could press on for another year at a high level. Making good results and scoring points for the team.

Don't have that many what ifs about Contador. His final Vuelta was a perfect goodbye. Don't think he had any GT wins in him anymore, although part of me wishes he'd been at the 2018 Giro.

If he'd continued and then gotten a sad 9th in the 2018 Giro and then basically had Nibali 2020 like results we'd all be shouting he retired too late.

In the 2017 Vuelta he was almost as good as Froome but he pissed it all away in the first couple of stages. But after that he was so strong that I really thought it was a pity to see him go. And not only because he was a fabulous entertainer, but I certainly thought he could keep contending for Grand Tours.

Don't have that many what ifs about Contador. His final Vuelta was a perfect goodbye. Don't think he had any GT wins in him anymore, although part of me wishes he'd been at the 2018 Giro.

If he'd continued and then gotten a sad 9th in the 2018 Giro and then basically had Nibali 2020 like results we'd all be shouting he retired too late.
Right, right... Watching the archrival rounding up the GT treble would surpass the hometown farewell.
You guys are cruel.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the 6 second places he got in the stage races had a factor too. He could still contend in the week races and maybe win while getting a top 10 or better in a GT with stages or go for KoM for the next couple years but that wasn’t his style.
There's also personal circumstances. IIRC his kid was born in late 2017 or early 2018 so he would've known about that around the time he decided to retire. Then he divorced some time in 2019 I think.

He obviously could have continued winning and even podium GT:s if would have gone for a more conservative racing tactics. Hell maybe even 3 more years. Win some week long stage races and win GT stages and Podium and maybe KOM jerseys.

But he was used to win in a certain way, the way we all loved to see. So I understand him. Whoever I still remember watching the last Vuelta and being quite sad.

un año más !

Reactions: Carols and perico
I'm reviving this thread for a very important discussion!

Over in the Best One Week Stage Racers of the 21st Century someone mentioned that Contador might have had better palmares if he'd been Dutch or Belgian, and then this happened:

Also let's be real. Alberto Contador sounds frigging cool. Bert Boekhouder fuckign doesn't.

Too bad he wasn't English. Albert Accountant.

So, my question is; what would his name have been in other languages? I'm guessing he'd have been Albert Bogholder in Danish.

• Love
Reactions: Red Rick
Why wouldnt he be able to conted for GTs anymore? He was just as strong as Froome more or less in Vuelta 2017. No shot at winning the Tour anymore IMO, but the Vuelta and Giro would probably be in his reach until the 2019 season IMO. Lesser level, and most importantly, a lot less stress. Alberto burned himself out the first week the last Tours he rode, and yet still managed to crash all over the place despite using whole teams on protecting him early. But his psychical level no one could question.

Lets just play a game: Contador undoubedly does better than Froome two first weeks of the Giro. Can he hang on Zoncolan and Finestre? Zoncolan, yes, Finestre, very much doubt it.
Vuelta 2018 was rather weak. A good, not great Valverde was very close at winning that - don't tell me Contador couldnt contest that race either.

Why wouldnt he be able to conted for GTs anymore? He was just as strong as Froome more or less in Vuelta 2017. No shot at winning the Tour anymore IMO, but the Vuelta and Giro would probably be in his reach until the 2019 season IMO. Lesser level, and most importantly, a lot less stress. Alberto burned himself out the first week the last Tours he rode, and yet still managed to crash all over the place despite using whole teams on protecting him early. But his psychical level no one could question.

Lets just play a game: Contador undoubedly does better than Froome two first weeks of the Giro. Can he hang on Zoncolan and Finestre? Zoncolan, yes, Finestre, very much doubt it.
Vuelta 2018 was rather weak. A good, not great Valverde was very close at winning that - don't tell me Contador couldnt contest that race either.
I think he was just mentally done. Maybe he would have benefitted from a lighter spring schedule too.

But he could have been competitive until COVID I think.

Would I trade the 2017 goodbye for riding the 2018 Giro? Probably, I am petty enough and I have no doubt Conti would do a lot of work to make Froome lose.

I don't know. Contador might have blown up a couple of times trying to follow Yates.

It's possible that Alberto helps Tom limit his losses on stage 19, enough to win the Giro, and Red Rick loves Contador even more.

Plot twist: Contador is solid throughout the race, but behind Dumoulin. But he latches onto Froome on Finestre who drags him all the way to the finish (think Dauphne 2014 stage 2 X 100) without a single Nairo elbow flick. Alberto Contador Velasco's 4th/3rd Giro is assured. And so begins Red Rick's deep love affair for one Christopher Froome.

I miss Contador. What a rider he was. For me he changed the sport so much. After Armstrong and the stupid us postal train, we lost a lot of entertainment years, specially on one week races because every gt rider was only focusing in contest gt's (following Lance and what he was doing). Seriously, the way he performed in his career and mainly the way he inspired young riders, change the way professional cycling have been ridden. Much more agressive racing, and that's contador's legacy. For some reason he is by far the most loved cyclist in the last 20 years (since Pantani, I took off Armstrong for clinic reasons) and his thread has way more posts than any other thread.
TY Alberto. You're my idol for some reason and taught me the beauty of cycling!

I miss Contador. What a rider he was. For me he changed the sport so much. After Armstrong and the stupid us postal train, we lost a lot of entertainment years, specially on one week races because every gt rider was only focusing in contest gt's (following Lance and what he was doing). Seriously, the way he performed in his career and mainly the way he inspired young riders, change the way professional cycling have been ridden. Much more agressive racing, and that's contador's legacy. For some reason he is by far the most loved cyclist in the last 20 years (since Pantani, I took off Armstrong for clinic reasons) and his thread has way more posts than any other thread.
TY Alberto. You're my idol for some reason and taught me the beauty of cycling!

As aggressive a rider as I've ever seen :) And I've been following this sport for 60 odd years. Was watching the 2012 Vuelta on no cycling days in the last 2 weeks and he Attacked just about Every Day! A Never give up kind of rider. My 2nd fav after Il Pirata :)

TRENDING THREADS