Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
VeloCity said:
How about Garmin? IIRC, Vaughters courted him once before, they have both the money and the points plus a strong team to support him, they lack a real GC rider (Hesjedal yes but I don't see him evolving into a true Tour contender), and it's also open to the US market.
I don't see Garmin looking at Contador, given Vaughters' penchant for fostering the image of cycling purity on his team.

But it could happen.

Wherever he goes, Alberto will be a force again. I cannot wait to see him return to racing.
 
Jan 3, 2011
4,594
0
0
Moose McKnuckles said:
I seriously doubt Contador goes to SaxoBank. There is no way he will take the risk of being on a non-Pro Tour team.

His options are

1. RSNT - knows Bruyneel, familiar environment, open to US market
2. OPQS - Solid manager in Lefevre but more Belgium and classics-centered
3. Movistar - Spanish team, solid support, also has Valverde there (positives and negatives).
I feel pretty sure Saxo will stay pro-tour.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
Moose McKnuckles said:
I don't see Garmin looking at Contador, given Vaughters' penchant for fostering the image of cycling purity on his team.

But it could happen.

Wherever he goes, Alberto will be a force again. I cannot wait to see him return to racing.
Probably true, although the more I think about it, the more Garmin would seem the perfect fit for Alberto.

Although I may be a bit more cynical than you - I think if Vaughters had the chance, he'd take on Contador using the Millar-style justification that he's paid his dues and is reformed so he's ok now.
 
Dec 30, 2011
3,547
0
0
VeloCity said:
How about Garmin? IIRC, Vaughters courted him once before, they have both the money and the points plus a strong team to support him, they lack a real GC rider (Hesjedal yes but I don't see him evolving into a true Tour contender), and it's also open to the US market.
Vaughters will never take him due to doping image and anyways Garmin dont have the budget for such a signing.
 
Moose McKnuckles said:
I don't see Garmin looking at Contador, given Vaughters' penchant for fostering the image of cycling purity on his team.

But it could happen.

Wherever he goes, Alberto will be a force again. I cannot wait to see him return to racing.
Garmin accepted Millar and Dekker so why not Contador?
 
TechnicalDescent said:
There is a difference from AC to people who have admitted it and lead the fight against it.
Well given the CAS decision, AC's case is rather unique such that I don't think he has to "admit it", but has the freedom to fight against it. Don't want this to turn into a rehash of his case, whether you or anyone believes it, etc., just stating that the nature of the CAS decision makes it rather easy for him to transition to a team like Garmin, which I do not think will happen.
 
Dec 30, 2011
3,547
0
0
Publicus said:
Can you remind which teams Millar and Dekkar ride? :rolleyes:
Millar and Dekker have admitted they did it and expressed guilt.
Contador on the other hand has denied he did it.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
2
0
Froome19 said:
Millar and Dekker have admitted they did it and expressed guilt.
Contador on the other hand has denied he did it.
Let's make one thing clear here: Millar would have denied it as well if he tested positive for clenbuterol.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
LaFlorecita said:
That would however mean that Alberto has to admit.
What I meant was that I have less faith in Vaughters sticking to that credo when it comes to a rider like Contador. If he's available and affordable and willing to sign, it'd be awfully tough to pass him up just because he hasn't openly admitted to anything.
 
Dec 30, 2011
3,547
0
0
El Pistolero said:
Let's make one thing clear here: Millar would have denied it as well if he tested positive for clenbuterol.
Yet the defining line is that it does not impact on Vaughters image on clean cycling once they are fighting it, any other side issues are irrelevant.
 
May 13, 2012
262
0
0
Publicus said:
Well given the CAS decision, AC's case is rather unique such that I don't think he has to "admit it", but has the freedom to fight against it. Don't want this to turn into a rehash of his case, whether you or anyone believes it, etc., just stating that the nature of the CAS decision makes it rather easy for him to transition to a team like Garmin, which I do not think will happen.
I agree he will not want to go there anyway. He will always want to be with the likes of Riis and Bruyneel or a Vino run Astana.
 
Mar 10, 2009
6,158
1
0
Moose McKnuckles said:
2. OPQS - Solid manager in Lefevre but more Belgium and classics-centered
Don't think the two will get along, just can't imagine Contador riding/training in Belgium at anytime of the year for any amount of time, even for a photo-opp session when he signs.
 
Sep 10, 2009
5,663
0
0
ElChingon said:
Don't think the two will get along, just can't imagine Contador riding/training in Belgium at anytime of the year for any amount of time, even for a photo-opp session when he signs.
It would be amusing making Leipheimer have to ride support for Contador again though ;)
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,455
2
0
ElChingon said:
Don't think the two will get along, just can't imagine Contador riding/training in Belgium at anytime of the year for any amount of time, even for a photo-opp session when he signs.
Contador loves to ride in Belgium, besides Leipheimer hasn't been riding/training in Belgium...
 
hfer07 said:
But did Leechheimer ever support Contador? AFAIK Levi "benefited" enormously from Contador-not the other way around....
Go back and watch the 2007 Tour. And the 2008 Vuelta. Not sure AC would have won the Tour without Levi, given the small margin to Evans.
 
Walkman said:
Go back and watch the 2007 Tour. And the 2008 Vuelta. Not sure AC would have won the Tour without Levi, given the small margin to Evans.
Those two examples only accentuate how Leecheimer used Contador as a spring board to sneak into the podium- In 07 The battle for the overall GC was between Contador & Evans- Leechheimer almost "stole" the title with that out-of-this-world ITT. The same sh!t happened when Contador & Valverde were in the same situation during the Vuelta- & once again-Leechheimer came from behing looking to steal the title that did not belong to him. so tell me once again how Levi "helped Alberto so much that he wouldn't have won those titles without him????" :confused:

VeloCity said:
That's low class he is, considering that Alberto helped him to win Castilla y Leon-and this is the sh!t he pulls afterwards...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS