• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 210 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I think the argument about who's dogging what between alberto and wiggins is useless point. We can't say that Wiggin won TDF because alberto and schleck wasn't there. He won it on the road with whoever showed up at that point. Then coming july, if Alberto wins, then Wiggin's camp will claim.. well of course..that's because Wiggin has giro legs already. And so on and so on.. the argument will continue pointless. If a rider decides to go to grand tour and doesn't win, then touche.. you know. You just got beat by the more prepared opponent or more fresh whatever you call it. If they come with tons of racing leg from some other GT, they must already calculated the chances. So an argument about so and so wasn't there or they got some thousand miles of racing other GT, is really a pointless argument. You compete on the race with whoever shows up and whoever is ready. Other argument, is just an excuse to cover that they aren't good enough or prepare enough to tackle 2 GT at that "point in time". Like I said, if it's difficult to win 2 GT back to back, then don't use that excuse. I would rather say, ow well, not good enough to take on 2 GT! Better find another way to be up there to tackle 2 GTs back to back.

I'm no wiggins fans and I'm alberto fans. So come July, wiggin knows that he got some giro leg, so if he wants to win it.. better get his swimming regiment up to his eye ball. And no excuse. And for Alberto, if he wants to do double, good for him. If he want to focus on TDF.. that would be smart, because none of his rival will ride Giro. (except Wiggin). Just IMO

airstream said:
The thing is Contador and Wiggins decide their tasks without looking back at the other. Contador is aiming the Tour because he want to get it at any price. Time goes on and possibly the Tour center of gravity may move in someone's else direction. Wiggins is aiming the Giro 'cos objectives of his team are more multi-disciplinary
1. The Tour course is not optimal for him and the team has a better rider;
2. He is still dreaming of winning all the Grand Tours;
3. The team is oriented on very strong perfomances in all of 3 week races.

Interesting. Wiggins has never gone toe to toe with Bertie. Froome has, and was dispatched easily on a similar parcours. And yet you still think he has a better chance. Reading between the lines, I guess we are both relying on our boy Andy to make a race of it.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:
Interesting. Wiggins has never gone toe to toe with Bertie. Froome has, and was dispatched easily on a similar parcours. And yet you still think he has a better chance. Reading between the lines, I guess we are both relying on our boy Andy to make a race of it.

IMHO the parcours of last Vuelta didn't suit him and was completely off form. He showed good thing till the first mountain finish in Collado La Gallina.

He deserves the doubt and wait for TdF.

My guess is Contador is better and Froome has to show he is better

Forunculo said:
IMHO the parcours of last Vuelta didn't suit him and was completely off form. He showed good thing till the first mountain finish in Collado La Gallina.

He deserves the doubt and wait for TdF.

My guess is Contador is better and Froome has to show he is better

Hi, he showed good things until Contador finished his reccy of him. An unfit AC then dismantled him. No reason to think it will be any different in July. My point to Airstream was, why send the second string when it has already been proved it is not up to the job?

ferryman said:

Wiggins has gone toe to.toe with contador 2009 and 10 if not 2007. Both times wiggins focus for the year was the tour. The - wiggins wasn't in shape cos he didn't train hard enough argument don't work.you think if contador lost cos he was lazy anyone would accept it as an excuse? No training hard is the whole point.

Froome on the other hand has not. I don't think.he raced against contador pre 2011 and since then only the 2011 vuelta. Where.unlike wiggins it wasn't his aim for the season and he had the perfectly legitimate excuse of having been forced to slave for wiggins a month earlier.

The Hitch said:
Wiggins has gone toe to.toe with contador 2009 and 10 if not 2007. Both times wiggins focus for the year was the tour. The - wiggins wasn't in shape cos he didn't train hard enough argument don't work.you think if contador lost cos he was lazy anyone would accept it as an excuse? No training hard is the whole point.

Froome on the other hand has not. I don't think.he raced against contador pre 2011 and since then only the 2011 vuelta. Where.unlike wiggins it wasn't his aim for the season and he had the perfectly legitimate excuse of having been forced to slave for wiggins a month earlier.

Hitch. 2009 was a toe to toe but certainly not with Wiggins, who was just wide eyed he could keep up with Armstrong. 2012 Vuelta is the only race Sky have gone toe to toe with Contador is my point. And it was a walk over, so bring on their Capitain, non.

ferryman said:
Hitch. 2009 was a toe to toe but certainly not with Wiggins, who was just wide eyed he could keep up with Armstrong. 2012 Vuelta is the only race Sky have gone toe to toe with Contador is my point. And it was a walk over, so bring on their Capitain, non.

Why is 2009 not toe to toe and 2012 Vuelta yes? In the mountains Contador crushed Froome far more than he did Wiggins 09.

(Potential rivals at TdF)
Froome the most obvious rival but Wiggo, Cadel, Andy and even Purito and Valverde are.

Still confident about Andy Schleck as a rival?(If he is still on that elite league of riders)
Yes I am. I suffered him in first person. When you climb a mountain you have class or haven't got it. He has many thing to say.

Interesting, he named all of the most likely with Froome first. IMO Veulta Froome wasn't a fair test of his capabilities and I think Alberto regards him as highest adversary.

Alberto re:Andy 'I suffered him first person', says a lot. Hopefully Andy gets his act together for some epic battles :) Andy has class and Alberto knows it;show it Andy!!!

If I don't go to il Giro there are more chance to go but the team has a powerful roster and the UCI points issue is important to Saxo Tinkoff. (He can score again in August 2014)

I keep forgetting about the points. Those that predicted Alberto might not ride all the races he wanted to because of that issue may be spot on here. It IS better for others on Saxo to collect WT points than work for Alberto :(

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
serfla said:
What the hell is this?
Didn't he "always said it was unlikely he'd do the giro".

Maybe he was drunk.

If you haven't noticed, the Giro organizers have tried everything to get him there this year. See Dubai etc.

Keep on trolling, adios ;)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Forunculo said:
An interesting interview, I'll translate some parts. Sorry for the mistakes

The most tranquil winter in ages but he had many "marketing meetings"

It's the most powerful team he has ever had, and 100% committed to him unlike in the past

Do you intervene in the signings of the team?
Bjarne is smart and told me the signings that it can be doing, and I give my opinion about them. I have been informed all the time of what he was going to sign. Everything flows naturally between us. They (the signs) fit perfectly, they will have a free role at certain times and will have chances to score their own results

Have you asked any particular name?
It was attempted to sign certain riders, like Kreuziger, Nicolas Roche, Michael Rogers. Others have not been able to sign. I give my opinion.

(Not so important)

(After clembuterol saga)
Has the doping saga change you?
Right now I split what it's mine and what it's not mine. Knowing who can be trusted and who not.

When I most enjoy to ride is when I have a difficult situation in a race. Like Tour 2011, at Alpe D' Huez stage. Blowing up the stage let me feel released.

(Dreams)
Time ago winning le Tour was a dream. I race to win. I can't see a different approach about cycling. On personal side it's being happy with my close people.

Fuente De was a matter of seconds. It just happened in that way. I always remember that day, it was a different way after failing every day at mountains.

(About form)
I couldn't train many consecutive days. Once 3 days, other time 4 and the week before San Luis was the longest streak.

Defining moments?
Paris Nice 2007 against Rebellin and Giro 2008 vs Ricco suffering every mountain stage.

(Goals)
I want do Tirreno, Criterium and Basque at max and Dauphine to prepare TdF

(Potential rivals at TdF)
Froome the most obvious rival but Wiggo, Cadel, Andy and even Purito and Valverde are.

Still confident about Andy Schleck as a rival?(If he is still on that elite league of riders)
Yes I am. I suffered him in first person. When you climb a mountain you have class or haven't got it. He has many thing to say.

Was San Luis won a bet with your team mates?
Yes, but I'm not gonna say what. They lose it. They were joking every day that they were working for nothing so I bet with them about winning the stage. I won the stage. The have to answer the bet.

Where is Contador limit?
I don't now. I'm still improving at regularity and solidity. But having a stronger team must count.

What about Vuelta?
If I don't go to il Giro there are more chance to go but the team has a powerful roster and the UCI points issue is important to Saxo Tinkoff. (He can score again in August 2014)

Obligated, thanks very much for the translation! :)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
As from the looks of it, it seems to Roche will be peaking for the ardennes and so with Kreuziger who said he wont ride the Giro eiter.

Majka will most likely get another chance to lead the Giro squard it seems.

Cant wait. ;)

Contadoraus Schlecks said:
Some pretty happy spectators there.

Has anyone here seen AC in person or spoken to him? La Flo?

I saw him, but didn't speak to him, when he came out to the Bay Area a couple of years ago. He actually looks more solidly built than he appears on tv and dude is wicked serious once he clips into his pedals. From what I could tell, very nice and humble guy.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Publicus said:
I saw him, but didn't speak to him, when he came out to the Bay Area a couple of years ago. He actually looks more solidly built than he appears on tv and dude is wicked serious once he clips into his pedals. From what I could tell, very nice and humble guy.

a very nice guy, yea but on his bike a true champion

that's how it should be :cool:

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
despite all that he has achieved with multiple grand tour wins, alberto is very humble and modest. Andy hasn't won a single stage race and is incredibly arrogant. Talks the talk but can't walk the walk.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Forunculo said:
Was San Luis won a bet with your team mates?
Yes, but I'm not gonna say what. They lose it. They were joking every day that they were working for nothing so I bet with them about winning the stage. I won the stage. The have to answer the bet.

I found this quite amusing :D

Forunculo said:
What about Vuelta?

What I conclude from this is that most likely the Tour will be his only GT this year, since the team needs WT points they will let others try to get results in the Giro and the Vuelta.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Omg, now I understand why he doesn't learn English so deliberately. Because otherwise he would need to react on questions from some British journalists. :) This thought hit me. :p

airstream said:
Omg, now I understand why he doesn't learn English so deliberately. Because otherwise he would need to react on questions from some British journalists. :) This thought hit me. :p

yea he's deliberately not learning English, that's probably why his English has improved so massively. It's still not great but you can hardly expect that from him.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
yea he's deliberately not learning English, that's probably why his English has improved so massively. It's still not great but you can hardly expect that from him.

I think he purposefully surrounds himself by spaniards to stew in his national juice. Considering how many years he is hanging out in English speaking circle, he should speak like a native speaker. Nonetheless it doesn't happen.

T-A route released and CN reports: this year's 'Race of the Two Seas' will see 2012 winner Vincenzo Nibali, Alberto Contador, Cadel Evans and Chris Froome fighting for overall success.

Froome? I thought it was going to be Wiggo? Froome even better though!!!