• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 219 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
pedromartins said:
And contador is always the underdog.

Contador Vs UCI
Contador Vs Lance and everyone else
Contador Vs Discovery2 (rant)
Contador Vs unwritten laws of cycling.
Contador Vs millions of butthurt lance supporters, now shleck supporters.

Meanwhile, Alberto keeps winning, even when he loses. The secret? "Fun". Alberto, together with fabian and maybe Tom, are the only ones that can do it. Even when they lose, they win.

Only someone *** can't see that.

+1;) 100% agree

airstream said:
There is a difference between wishing rider to win and supporting him for his existing results

I support the guy because he makes the sport more exciting on his own. Even if he crushes the competition, he still makes it exciting. I don't support anyone because of existing results. You may consider this irrelevant, but as a tennis fan, I've never supported Federer in any of his 24 GS finals, despite the fact that he is the GOAT

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
pedromartins said:
And contador is always the underdog.

Contador Vs UCI
It is very easy to dispute. UCI helped Contador hugely in 2006-07. Just monstrously. So unwritten laws always played for him. Don't underrate this.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Red Rick said:
I support the guy because he makes the sport more exciting on his own. Even if he crushes the competition, he still makes it exciting. I don't support anyone because of existing results. You may consider this irrelevant, but as a tennis fan, I've never supported Federer in any of his 24 GS finals, despite the fact that he is the GOAT

What is excitement then? Show? Overwhelming dominance? Intrigue?

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Alberto: Dauphiné libéré 2009 in Nancy

yY3Y7uG

airstream said:
I can guess who is behind his back! :D

My guess is that it's you with a jersey for Contador to autograph with this likely being prior to the point that you became a Contador fan in extreme denial.:p

I think secretly you cheer for Contador but in the forum you have this strange idea that it's unfashionable to support anyone that is so successful, so you take the Contador hate to the extreme end of the spectrum.

If you really want to be "fashionable" and root for the underdog, why aren't you rooting for JVdB, Gesink, Samu, Purito? Or to take it even further, real long shots like any Frenchman who's made the top ten in the Tour? Now that would really make you one of the avant garde.:)

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Angliru said:
My guess is that it's you with a jersey for Contador to autograph with this likely being prior to the point that you became a Contador fan in extreme denial.:p

I think secretly you cheer for Contador but in the forum you have this strange idea that it's unfashionable to support anyone that is so successful, so you take the Contador hate to the extreme end of the spectrum.

If you really want to be "fashionable" and root for the underdog, why aren't you rooting for JVdB, Gesink, Samu, Purito? Or to take it even further, real long shots like any Frenchman who's made the top ten in the Tour? Now that would really make you one of the avant garde.:)
Actually, I'm just for GT discussions. Don't like other races too much and follow them only to know what perspectives everyone has. So we could discuss GT stuff in any thread. But since there a lot of you (Contador fans) and I'm the one, discussions forcedly take this shape. And yet I root for many riders like Haimar Zubeldia, Mikel Astarloza or Arnold Jennesson, but they are not popular personages all to pieces and no one will discuss them.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
airstream said:
Actually, I'm just for GT discussions. Don't like other races too much and follow them only to know what perspectives everyone has. So we could discuss GT stuff in any thread. But since there a lot of you (Contador fans) and I'm the one, discussions forcedly take this shape. And yet I root for many riders like Haimar Zubeldia, Mikel Astarloza or Arnold Jennesson, but they are not popular personages all to pieces and no one will discuss them.

Is Atarloza still riding? Which team?

And it amazes me that zubeldia is still around, i still remember the tour 2003 where he was doing pretty damn good.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
Is Atarloza still riding? Which team?

And it amazes me that zubeldia is still around, i still remember the tour 2003 where he was doing pretty damn good.

Yes, Astarloza rides for Euskaltel without visible ambitions. I remember he rode alone about 50km via Iseran, Telegraphe and Galibier in 2007, but then miraculously could stay with maillot jaune group after big games started. Fantastic stuff!

Zubeldia is just a typology of not attacking GC rider. Die, but keep up! :)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
what about people who already supported Alberto before his tdf win in 2007? How do they fit into your theory "all fans of Alberto only support him because of his results"?

Catching up.......I've followed Alberto since 2000/2001 when he first hit the junior/U23 scene. Saw him ride a race we caught while on holiday and he won the Spanish U23 TT champs just after that.

Why do I support him?? Because he has the attitude of the greats and he truly has fun during races. Alpe D'huez stage in 2011, that was all for fun, all for a laugh, he knew there was no way in hell the peloton would let him get far enough away to take the win but he still did it and that's what sets him apart from the formulaic riders we've become used to.

I get an extra buzz watching a race knowing he's in the peloton and KNOWING he's going to set a flame under the race at some point, it's spectacular, it's exciting and that's what sport and its grand champions should be, Berto is that and more!