• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 220 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
airstream said:
Actually, I'm just for GT discussions. Don't like other races too much and follow them only to know what perspectives everyone has. So we could discuss GT stuff in any thread. But since there a lot of you (Contador fans) and I'm the one, discussions forcedly take this shape. And yet I root for many riders like Haimar Zubeldia, Mikel Astarloza or Arnold Jennesson, but they are not popular personages all to pieces and no one will discuss them.

I've always been a fan of the Spanish, Italian and Columbian climbers and when Contador came along with his out of the saddle climbing style when he's attacking reminded me of one of my favorites, Iban Mayo. You can imagne my excitement with he and Zubeldia climbing with the elite in the Tour.:) I always hoped that Mayo would somehow eventually dethrone Armstrong, making him eat his dust in the mountains but it was never to be. When I first saw Contador, the Paris-Nice where he almost crashed when his shoe clicked out of his pedal while he was attacking on a descent, I immediatately became a fan. His standing up to Armstrong and Bruyneel in 2009, when it was pretty much expected by the LA throng of fans (and himself) to be a sauntering parade back to the top of the Tour podium, and Contador delivering the smackdown that he long deserved cemented it for me.

As far as the grand tours go, they are the highlights of my cycling season because of the (potential) epic nature of the drama that develops over the course of the 3 weeks. Especially with the Tour, as far as with those with gc aspirations, all the major weeklong stage races are active in building up the drama and anticipation for the month of July.

Siriuscat said:
Why do I support him?? Because he has the attitude of the greats and he truly has fun during races. Alpe D'huez stage in 2011, that was all for fun, all for a laugh, he knew there was no way in hell the peloton would let him get far enough away to take the win but he still did it and that's what sets him apart from the formulaic riders we've become used to.

I get an extra buzz watching a race knowing he's in the peloton and KNOWING he's going to set a flame under the race at some point, it's spectacular, it's exciting and that's what sport and its grand champions should be, Berto is that and more!

+1

Whenever he takes the start line the excitement level goes up because win or lose he will Always give you your moneys worth!!!!

When I first saw him climb in 2006(might have been earlier) I thought he might turn out to be as exciting as Pantani (my all time favorite) and he hasn't disappointed!!!

Angliru said:
when Contador came along with his out of the saddle climbing style when he's attacking reminded me of one of my favorites, Iban Mayo. You can imagne my excitement with he and Zubeldia climbing with the elite in the Tour.:) I always hoped that Mayo would somehow eventually dethrone Armstrong, making him eat his dust in the mountains but it was never to be.

I always loved Mayo!!!! So mentally fragile though :( Anyone that dethroned Lance would have been okay with me but I was rooting big time for Mayo!

Contador is like a gift from the cycling gods though. He has it all; everything required to be a Great Champion.

As far as the grand tours go, they are the highlights of my cycling season because of the (potential) epic nature of the drama that develops over the course of the 3 weeks.

Indeed GTs top my list; but I'll happily watch just about any pro event that is on tv or has a stream :)

airstream said:
Actually, I'm just for GT discussions. Don't like other races too much and follow them only to know what perspectives everyone has. So we could discuss GT stuff in any thread. But since there a lot of you (Contador fans) and I'm the one, discussions forcedly take this shape. And yet I root for many riders like Haimar Zubeldia, Mikel Astarloza or Arnold Jennesson, but they are not popular personages all to pieces and no one will discuss them.

Not at all, there are many Schleck fans on here, and I'm one. They just don't spout the same amount of anti Contador posts that you do. I'm a huge fan of both for what it is worth.

You missed out Froome from your second list, whom you have seemed to have abandoned now again in favour of Andy. But your posts are the same regardless of the 2. I'm certainly leaning to you just having a big personal dislike for Contador for a reason I quite can't see.

Or maybe you just like being contraire, which is getting into troll territory. And I'm getting pretty much bored with it.

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
contador is a like a great opera singer and the gt routes are the operas he must perform, like in every opera an tempo attack is immenen. the question is how early, late or long that attack is going to be? and sometimes is not going to reflect just raw power, but style in a dramatic fashion. this year the tour was a mozart piece, the giro in the last few years has been a verissimo piece, and the vuelta this year was a bel canto. contador is the caruso of grand tours.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
One year ago...

Alberto_Contador.jpg

Much better right now, we are talking about Contador racing against Evans, Wiggo, Andy, Froome etc

robertocarlos said:
contador is a like a great opera singer and the gt routes are the operas he must perform, like in every opera an tempo attack is immenen. the question is how early, late or long that attack is going to be? and sometimes is not going to reflect just raw power, but style in a dramatic fashion. this year the tour was a mozart piece, the giro in the last few years has been a verissimo piece, and the vuelta this year was a bel canto. contador is the caruso of grand tours.

+1

Indeed, he is a virtuoso of stage racing :)

serfla

BANNED
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
robertocarlos said:
Nah... He's just a karaoke singer.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
ferryman said:
Not at all, there are many Schleck fans on here, and I'm one. They just don't spout the same amount of anti Contador posts that you do. I'm a huge fan of both for what it is worth.

You missed out Froome from your second list, whom you have seemed to have abandoned now again in favour of Andy. But your posts are the same regardless of the 2. I'm certainly leaning to you just having a big personal dislike for Contador for a reason I quite can't see.

Or maybe you just like being contraire, which is getting into troll territory. And I'm getting pretty much bored with it.

I'm sorry if for some forum guys I seem too conflicting. It is not my goal. But what to do? Since I joined the forum, I always had a bit different view of things. Afterall, the fact that we are so different fills the forum up with thoughts.

TRENDING THREADS