• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 308 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Miburo said:
What a ridiculous statement :eek:

Froome was just not good anymore in the vuelta. Contador his numerous attacks had nothing to do with that.

They certainly didn't make it any easier on Froome either. To say his attacks had nothing to do with it is what's ridiculous. Froome attempting to respond to the attacks had to take a bit out of him and hasten his demise.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Angliru said:
They certainly didn't make it any easier on Froome either. To say his attacks had nothing to do with it is what's ridiculous. Froome attempting to respond to the attacks had to take a bit out of him and hasten his demise.

Untill jaca Froome didn't go downhill.

His demise started at the stage Valverde won. Froome did all the attacks there. Contador attacked only the last km.

From then on Froome went downhill. His ITT was meh. Next stage was that stage on the 'mur'. Contador followed purito and Froome dropped.

Tell me how did Contador's attacks do any real damage to Froome that really helped his demise?

It was more Froome wasting his energy trying to be aggresive that speeded the process.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Miburo said:
Of course you go to ad hominem.

In most stages at the end of the vuelta Froome already dropped before Contador even really attacked.

Purito lost the vuelta cause he had a pretty bad day and cause Contador did a good move. Not cause Contador attacked 20 times, that was one well planned attack in the stage. And according to purito he could have followed him but he preferred not to.

And katusha team just sucked, besides moreno.

Froome got dropped course he was tired out, he followed AC the first week, then it derailed slowly due to lack of power, so you don´t think Bertos attacks have any effect what so ever unless he stays away? Try follow a guy like AC that many times, with that kind of acceleration and see what it does to your energy level, if you have any left. Of course Froome had his tour in the legs, b ut it doesn´t change the fact that he was worn out by Bertos numerous attacks, not once did he try to go his own pace, course thats the effect it has on his opponents, they just don´t dare to let him go if they can avoid it and always tries to follow.
Purito could have followed? That´s probably why he spared his effort when Valverde took off, thinking, let them go, I´ll catch them later....

Katusha got tired out as well, mostly be course they had to take controll early in the race and use lot of energy doing so, and the fact it was after a rest day. Perfect tactics from Saxo.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Miburo said:
It shows how weak their argument is.

Jerry-Mouse-Facepalm-1-.jpg

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
airstream said:
Then you have nothing to worry about. Froome is not a Contador rival etall. Purito, Alex and Quintana are.

Froome had a tour in his legs, you don´t think that had something to do with it?

Point here is, AC did what he had to do, and what he do best, he was lagging race miles, but was fresher, but it doesn´t change the fact it still worn out Froome. In the tour it will be an entirely other matter, it will be a display of team strength first of all. The rest is yet to be seen. Maybe Froome crush AC, who knows, anything can happen, its just humans.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Miburo said:
Untill jaca Froome didn't go downhill.

His demise started at the stage Valverde won. Froome did all the attacks there. Contador attacked only the last km.

From then on Froome went downhill. His ITT was meh. Next stage was that stage on the 'mur'. Contador followed purito and Froome dropped.

Tell me how did Contador's attacks do any real damage to Froome that really helped his demise?

It was more Froome wasting his energy trying to be aggresive that speeded the process.

oh boy... and you have a crystal ball hidden under your bed right?

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Cyivel said:
It's always funny when people have to resort to this when trying to make a point :eek:

No it´s actually not, it makes a point.
That anybody with their sound mind can proclaim that Bertos attacks have no effect is just mind blowing, so my argument is right on the spot.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
xrayvision said:
That anybody with their sound mind can proclaim that Bertos attacks have no effect is just mind blowing, so my argument is right on the spot.

Nah it shows insecurity in the point you are making.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
xrayvision said:

Contador completely tired himself out on every MTF, and that's just about the only significant effect his attacks have had in big races since La Vuelta last year. His biggest opponents just sit in his wheel, suffering but they're not spending as much energy as Contador himself.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Contador completely tired himself out on every MTF, and that's just about the only significant effect his attacks have had in big races since La Vuelta last year. His biggest opponents just sit in his wheel, suffering but they're not spending as much energy as Contador himself.

True. That is why he needs to be patient. He can do his 20+ attacks -- they will break the competition -- but only if they are not overall attacks 1-20 between GC rivals. If his attacks are attacks 10 through 30, I am confident he would be in the driver's seat.

He needs to let others start the fireworks from time to time. Plus he should not always be the first in line in the chasing group. He is always the first to respond to any attack and often brings others with him. He should let them take the reins a bit and sit on at times. He only channels Leipheimer when he doesn't have the legs.

Pentacycle said:
The TDF is going to be the first "big" race both will ride since La Vuelta.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Dedelou said:
The TDF is going to be the first "big" race both will ride since La Vuelta.

Really this is the first Grand Tour Contador has ridden with optimum preparation since Giro 2011. Tour 2011 he was tired from Giro and had stress of Clen case, and Vuelta last year he started with virtually no racing miles. Hopefully he will surprise us all with his form :)

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Pentacycle said:

It´s probably why he won the Vuelta, rode away from everybody, had energy to keep attacking, course he were the most tired rider, and they couldn´t catch up with him... yes, that must be it! :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:

Thanks for the article.I think he is right,if he has good legs he doesnt have to worry anyone.but to be honest I dont think it will be the case in July.He will have to fight very hard.

btw.I was pretty surprised with this,so I hope it will be snowing at Tour:D

"El calor no es que me guste especialmente, lo llevo muy bien, aunque quizá me favorece más el frío, creo que me afecta menos que a otros corredores y marca un poco la diferencia a mí favor. Sí que me gustaría que hiciera un poco más de calor por el tema de la alergia que yo creo que va a ser un año brutal", añadió.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Thanks for the article.I think he is right,if he has good legs he doesnt have to worry anyone.but to be honest I dont think it will be the case in July.He will have to fight very hard.

"El calor no es que me guste especialmente, lo llevo muy bien, aunque quizá me favorece más el frío, creo que me afecta menos que a otros corredores y marca un poco la diferencia a mí favor. Sí que me gustaría que hiciera un poco más de calor por el tema de la alergia que yo creo que va a ser un año brutal", añadió.

In the spring Froome and Porte seemed to handle the cold better than Contador

ILovecycling said:

this is a tour that at no point goes above 2000m

ILovecycling said:

I was a little surprised by it too. He seems to do well in the heat; though I guess if we think about his pre-suspension late winter (think February-March), he would always do well and then stop racing when spring was in full bloom (April)