• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 392 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
even andy still believed in contador.

Article from andy's interview:
He also cautioned that people shouldn’t necessarily judge Alberto Contador on the one minute 51 seconds he lost, saying that heat, allergies and the fact that it is the first mountain stage could all be factors.

The Hitch said:
Trust in Contador's words and those of his team only goes so far.

It ended today.

"no worries, today wasnt great because a/b/c/d/e etc," only goes so far. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. you cant fall for the same lies anymore.

Ive hesitated calling him The Great One all season cos hes become so crap and now it looks like hell never have that title back.

All year we have been hearing that those bad performances had explanations. He wasnt peaking. He was ill. He didnt have sensations.

Well we are over 1/3 through the tour and he is still weak. Still not much better than he was in San Luis and Tirreno and Pais Vasco and Dauphine.

And we are to believe that that he will improve more in the next few days than he has over the last 6 months? pff. forgetaboutit.

forgetaboutit.

It happens to All of them Hitch, it is the nature of cycling, it is a brutal sport. I've watched all the greats fail and fall :(

He may bounce back, but not for a win in this Tour and I doubt anything this year. It has been a very poor season and he has never found form :(

But he is still a champion and will not give up!!!! He will be Valiant in defeat but unable to challenge much like LeMond in 1991.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Valiant in defeat, eh? Was just reading about Eddy Merckx getting punched by a spectator on a climb in the 1975 Tour. Eddy didn't miss a pedal. He also attacked the next day at the outset of the stage - with 225 km left to go.

Contador looks to have deteriorated into a wheel sucker. . .

Gugashwill

BANNED
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
No matter how discouraging Ax-3 was, Contador should ride the rest of the Tour like a champion .
Fight till the end, all out every stage.
Greatness is best shown in defeat.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Carols said:
But he is still a champion and will not give up!!!! He will be Valiant in defeat but unable to challenge much like LeMond in 1991.

Looked more like Jan to Lance to me. Contador will bounce back. Second in Le Tour often is the best place.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm quite satisfied that Contador won't be a contender for this year's tour. Hopefully Kreuziger and Mick Rogers will be allowed to fend for themselves from now on in.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
warmfuzzies said:
Valiant in defeat, eh? Was just reading about Eddy Merckx getting punched by a spectator on a climb in the 1975 Tour. Eddy didn't miss a pedal. He also attacked the next day at the outset of the stage - with 225 km left to go.

this is the new cycling era. Attacking is overrated, wheelsucking is a new hip :D so i guess we'd better get used to it.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Carols said:
It happens to All of them Hitch, it is the nature of cycling, it is a brutal sport. I've watched all the greats fail and fall :(

He may bounce back, but not for a win in this Tour and I doubt anything this year. It has been a very poor season and he has never found form :(

He will for sure go down fighting, do you think he will win a GT in the future? Maybe forget the TDF and do the Giro Vuelta each year. With Nibali at the TDF next year Giro is open, its a long time away yet and he still is not done here but I dnt think he is going to win, all year Froome as just been a touch better.

TANK91 said:
He will for sure go down fighting, do you think he will win a GT in the future? Maybe forget the TDF and do the Giro Vuelta each year. With Nibali at the TDF next year Giro is open, its a long time away yet and he still is not done here but I dnt think he is going to win, all year Froome as just been a touch better.

If he finds the form that has been elusive this entire season he certainly can win a GT again IMO. He might even round into shape by week 3 here and start to look good, but he hasn't looked good yet this year so I'm not hopeful. We shall see what he does the rest of this season and early next season.

LeMond never made it back to the top but that was for clinic reasons by the rest, his form was good enough at times.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
If he finds the form that has been elusive this entire season he certainly can win a GT again IMO. He might even round into shape by week 3 here and start to look good, but he hasn't looked good yet this year so I'm not hopeful. We shall see what he does the rest of this season and early next season.

LeMond never made it back to the top but that was for clinic reasons by the rest, his form was good enough at times.

to put things in perspective, birdsong, rui costa, navaro, moreno, pinout, perraud, who looked good in dauphine or swiss, came out way behind contador. Only kreuziger, valverde, molema looked really good. We will never know, if quintana attack on the last climb what the outcome would be. Now he digged himself way down in GC for his long range attack. At least, my question was answered :D. I was wondering looking at the profile with the mountain close together someone will daredevil to attack long range ala andy galabier. Well turn out, colombian demolition derby. Too bad he run out his gas though.

I sure hope, contador will bounce back tomorrow, otherwise, it's game over. Even Bjarne was surprise with contador's performance today.

Jelantik said:
this is the new cycling era. Attacking is overrated, wheelsucking is a new hip :D so i guess we'd better get used to it.

Obviously you missed the Armstrong era. Froome did exactly the same. His last team mate peeled off and he attacked. What's so new ? There is wheelsucking to win and wheelsucking to hang on. Froome's rivals were doing the latter. Kreuziger had to wait for Contador

i still don't think this tour is over. it might be the most stupid idea ever but i think sky will pay their energy spent on bonascre in the alpes. i refuse to think that alberto can be even weaker than in the last vuelta. let's see today but yesterday seeing alberto weaker than kreuziger was painful, i admit

jens_attacks said:
i still don't think this tour is over. it might be the most stupid idea ever but i think sky will pay their energy spent on bonascre in the alpes. i refuse to think that alberto can be even weaker than in the last vuelta. let's see today but yesterday seeing alberto weaker than kreuziger was painful, i admit

i was joking. Of course the race is not over but Sky have made it very difficult already for many of their rivals. If Froome and Porte time trial as well as expected, it becomes even more difficult.

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
warmfuzzies said:

Havent you noticed ?? Sky makes everyone looks like wheelsucker. When Porte took the pace up , there was nobody left to follow him. Almost as if he was attacking.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Obviously Sky have to have a bad day and some of the others have a super day.

WhenPigsFly.jpg

movingtarget said:
You don't think ? I expected Evans to struggle a little but he had a bad day and Tejay was even worse. But they were not the only ones. It was a weird stage result so early in the race. See what the next stage brings.

Nah I wasn't serious. Just mocking darwin0198392 saying he is satisfied Alberto won't be a contender.