• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 402 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Hitch said:
Really strange. All this time, through all his bad from through Dauphine even through the first 9 days of the Tour he kept saying all was good.

And now all of a sudden basically overnght he realizes he isnt anywhere near his best afterall. A guy with as much gt experience as Contador?

How much of an idiot is he?

He is very clever, and he knows exactly how he is and how are his rivals, and he knew before to come to the TdF, but he has to keep the atention with him... that is normal...
I had my little doubts after the TTT, but the team is really great.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
I'm with Jens here. Alberto will still win the Tour :)

Exactly. Screw logic.

He'll destroy the borgs.

The last week is so hard, if he really peaked for it we might see something.

You remember how much his form changed in the tour 2011 in only a few days? He can still do this :cool::eek::D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Blind optimism probably not the best idea on the eve of the tt. Yall be back to hitting the bottles in 15 hours.

At least we'll have a reason to drink then i guess.

I don't feel like hating on Contador after 1 week in the tour, i'll do that in 2 weeks.

Miburo said:
At least we'll have a reason to drink then i guess.

I don't feel like hating on Contador after 1 week in the tour, i'll do that in 2 weeks.

Dont blame me. Im the guy who tells you your girlfriend is cheating on you BEFORE you get married, rather than let you delude yourself for a little while longer and then watch the trainwreck from a distance.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Dont blame me. Im the guy who tells you your girlfriend is cheating on you BEFORE you get married, rather than let you delude yourself for a little while longer and then watch the trainwreck from a distance.

I don't blame you, you've reasons to hate on him but i just don't feel like doing it. It's still early in the tour, many things still can happen.

He looks like absolute **** right now, i realise that but yea i still have some hope. I won't be crushed when Froome wins it, it's only normal but i still think he can pull it off.

Besides I rather see Contador doing crazy stuff to win it than do absolutely nothing to try and win the tour that way. I didn't really like the tour 2010 although he won it.

I really enjoyed the tour 2011 (last week) even though he lost it.

The Hitch said:
Really strange. All this time, through all his bad from through Dauphine even through the first 9 days of the Tour he kept saying all was good.

And now all of a sudden basically overnght he realizes he isnt anywhere near his best afterall. A guy with as much gt experience as Contador?

How much of an idiot is he?

They delude themselves that the form will come because it always has before. They think they just have to work harder, differently and rest more. He has said for months that it has been difficult to find form.

The earlier and brighter they burn the sooner and quicker they burn out. Most refuse to admit it and keep believing and trying. The mind is willing but the body just cannot produce like it always has before. It must be dreadfully difficult to face and admit even to yourself.

I'd say it's to early to give up, but I've seen all the indicators now. Tomorrow is the final test. He looked good in the TTT, but tomorrow it is him, the road and the clock. Maybe the body will do what the mind is asking of it. We can only hope.

Carols said:
They delude themselves that the form will come because it always has before. They think they just have to work harder, differently and rest more. He has said for months that it has been difficult to find form.

The earlier and brighter they burn the sooner and quicker they burn out. Most refuse to admit it and keep believing and trying. The mind is willing but the body just cannot produce like it always has before. It must be dreadfully difficult to face and admit even to yourself.

I'd say it's to early to give up, but I've seen all the indicators now. Tomorrow is the final test. He looked good in the TTT, but tomorrow it is him, the road and the clock. Maybe the body will do what the mind is asking of it. We can only hope.

Contador is too young for that to happen, but when you think about it, he was way ahead of his generation back in 2007, and had 6 incredible years, so what you're saying might be true. But I don't think it can happen that drastically, even Armstorng on his return managed to reach the podium on his own.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
Let's reverse it.

Did you think evans was gonna win the tour in 2011? Did you think valverde after last year's performance was ever gonna have a chance for a podium in a tour? Did you think Wiggins was ever gonna win a tour after 2010?

95% of this forum would have said "no". Don't write a rider off too early. Contador is only 30 years old.

I still believe that one day we'll see him at 100% again.

Good way of seeing it, miburo. Why a sudden switch off light and it seems to start to come up after Bjarne showed up. Hmm ;). Somethin' somethin'? or are they quietly move the leadership role? Hmmm.. b/c His DS interview seemed to be confident and he explained contador's ITT lackcluster at Dauphine.

interesting snipet form his DS:
Contador blamed his allergies for his low-key performance at the Dauphiné but Mauduit said that the race had also come immediately after a heavy training load, which contributed to his tired showing in the time trial.

"He was working a lot before the Dauphiné and he wasn't so fresh because he was using it as a last training for the Tour," he said. "Of course, he has made a lot of progress in the time trial because he has worked a lot, both before and after the Dauphiné. It's a maybe bit different at the Tour too because the boys have one hard week in the legs, and that's also a change to the way they start the TT, so we will see."

For now, I still believe..:D He'll fight.

DenisMenchov said:
Contador is too young for that to happen, but when you think about it, he was way ahead of his generation back in 2007, and had 6 incredible years, so what you're saying might be true. But I don't think it can happen that drastically, even Armstorng on his return managed to reach the podium on his own.

It can. I am 62, I've seen it happen to Hinault, LeMond, Indurain and Pantani. Read about it for Merckx; only had newsreels back then, he was done at 30. I did see Merckx in person when he was still riding though.

If they hang on grimly trying to recapture the magic it sometimes burns brightly again for a short time.

Lance was aided, he admitted everything up to his return in 2009. I don't believe his returned clean story.

Maybe I'm wrong; praying I am but it is like watching history repeat itself. The same history I've witnessed for decades; The fall of a Great Champion :(

Carols said:
It can. I am 62, I've seen it happen to Hinault, LeMond, Indurain and Pantani. Read about it for Merckx; only had newsreels back then, he was done at 30. I did see Merckx in person when he was still riding though.

If they hang on grimly trying to recapture the magic it sometimes burns brightly again for a short time.

Lance was aided, he admitted everything up to his return in 2009. I don't believe his returned clean story.

Maybe I'm wrong; praying I am but it is like watching history repeat itself. The same history I've witnessed for decades; The fall of a Great Champion :(

I'm much younger then you are, but the Fall is inevitable. Almost no one leaves on his best, Federer, Schumacher, Ronaldinho, Jordan... Not to mention cyclists.

Funny thing is I hated the 2009 Tour Contador, he looked so inhuman, nothing around him was interesting for me. Then he was so dominant at 2011 Giro, i even liked him less. But in 2011 Tour he looked like human, he was getting dropped on mountain stages, but refused to give, that's where he got my sympathy, and eventually in 2012 Vuelta, he never looked the strongest, but won. So unlike many, I now support Contador, maybe even like him.

DenisMenchov said:
I'm much younger then you are, but the Fall is inevitable. Almost no one leaves on his best, Federer, Schumacher, Ronaldinho, Jordan... Not to mention cyclists.

Funny thing is I hated the 2009 Tour Contador, he looked so inhuman, nothing around him was interesting for me. Then he was so dominant at 2011 Giro, i even liked him less. But in 2011 Tour he looked like human, he was getting dropped on mountain stages, but refused to give, that's where he got my sympathy, and eventually in 2012 Vuelta, he never looked the strongest, but won. So unlike many, I now support Contador, maybe even like him.

I figured 33 is the age of fall when VO2 max start to decrease. Contador is too young.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Miburo said:
I don't blame you, you've reasons to hate on him but i just don't feel like doing it. It's still early in the tour, many things still can happen.

He looks like absolute **** right now, i realise that but yea i still have some hope. I won't be crushed when Froome wins it, it's only normal but i still think he can pull it off.

Besides I rather see Contador doing crazy stuff to win it than do absolutely nothing to try and win the tour that way. I didn't really like the tour 2010 although he won it.I really enjoyed the tour 2011 (last week) even though he lost it.

he didnt win it

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
DenisMenchov said:

well he had just competed in the giro (cant say won, he was stripped) so was cooked for the tour

TRENDING THREADS