• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 489 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
maltiv said:
That looks like a much better position imo. His position this year was way too strained and looked extremely uncomfortable.

It's always hard to know with this things, but indeed it seems like there is am improvement on aerodynamics with a flatter back and on overall comfort.

LaFlorecita said:
Compare the Dauphiné pic with the July 2009 pic

Don't underestimate the effect of the breathing movement.

I don't think he was fat per say, it looks like he is has too much muscle in the 2013 pic. Just look at the definition of his leg muscles.

Obviously too much muscle is just as bad as too much fat when it comes to climbing.

BZN7gPICUAAqnnV.jpg

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Opalius said:
Nah, I still believe Froome is in for a surprise at the Tour.

I think it's been years since Contador has been this hungry. He had gotten fat and lazy with all the success.

I don't know about that, if contador wasn't motivated to win this years tour...

He was losing all year, they striped a tour and giro from him. You would assume he was burning for revenge.

Jul 21, 2010
www.cyclingquotes.com
True, but I think he came back this season and expected to win.

Now he knows that he'll have to fight for it too (in terms of training, diet, reconnaissance, team building etc.).

Who knows...

Cimber said:
Sadly I dont think so. Would be good for the limeys to see a stylish cyclist win though. They are used to stylish freak shows.

Anyways, maybe Contador would have more success focusing on the Giro + Vuelta. Wont happen on Saxo though.

Come on, that Contador wasn't even near his best. I find it hard to believe he'll never reach that level again.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Come on, that Contador wasn't even near his best. I find it hard to believe he'll never reach that level again.

That may be true but he kept the attacks going all the way through. This years Tour he wasn't able to attack when it mattered because the ET powers of other/s.
What is needed now and IMO can be achieved is a FuenteDe type attack or a long range mountain stage attack. Try to turns things upside down early on. The Sky team seem to unable to cope with unplanned events. Alberto could prophet from that if he mixed up his attacks. Maybe it's more of a suicide mission but you have to adapt your attacks to maximise your skill set. Boxers and football players can change their game as they get older. So can Alberto.

LaFlorecita said:

Indeed that is why I put up a 2012 Vuelta vid. He was nowhere near the previous Condator but still gutted out a win using tactics.

It is possible we could see the 2012 Vuelta Alberto again. Soon enough we will know, the first few races of 2014 should tell the story. Is he relaxed and fluid, showing power and the ability to attack....or not? That is the question.