• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 566 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TANK91 said:
Say hi to Ventoux when we hit Hautacam. Dont worry ill remind you in the TDF. Froome will make him look silly, admit it Contador fears Froome more than any rival. In Catalunya he was looking back and thinking were is Froome, wow i dropped him. He was probably so shocked lol.

It would be very intersting to know how old you are. Judging from your posts I have an idea though.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I don't think contador should expect any time on froome in that stage. When gc riders face eachother on cobbles, punctures are probably a bigger deal than anything else.

The other big thing is riding on the front and contador actually sucks at that sometimes. I mean he lost time already the last cobble stage in 2010 because he was caught behind the crash. He lost time in Mont des alloutes for being way way way back. I seen it other times too when it didn't cost him.

Sky have a stronger team for cobbles too. Thomas and Wiggins and stannard. Who will contador have, bennati?

I don't think either of them will target the stage to gain time, just not lose any. I really can't think of any GC rider who will look to take time. Maybe Nibali as he's just generally aggressive. Hesjedal is good on cobbles, but to call him a GC contender is generous. Wiggins is by far the best contender on cobbles, which is one reason I can see Sky not taking him. Long TT and cobbles...before the season started and Contador started flying, Wiggins was my pick for biggest threat to Froome.
Not looking too chubby,
484599591-sir-bradley-wiggins-of-great-britain-and-gettyimages.jpg

2012 comparison
Bradley%20Wiggins%20of%20Great%20Britain%20riding%20for%20Sky%20Procycling%20descends%20the%20Col%20de%20Mente%20as%20he%20defended%20the%20race%20leader's%20yellow%20jersey%20during%20s-1151985

You just never know.

Has he shown any ability this year to climb anywhere near his grand tour contending rivals? If Froome has a significant influence on who makes the Tour team and Wiggins is allowed to take part, I'm quite certain his role will be quite clearly defined and controlled leaving him only the itt as his sole moment of personal glory. The cobbled stage I would think his duty will be to keep Froome out of trouble and at the front.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re pictures, yep, that's why I swapped them.

Re wiggins on a leash, I'm sure having him be a loyal team mate is the plan, but when Froome hits the deck and Wiggins is in front, would you put money on him waiting. It's too early for me to be confident he would.

TANK91 said:
And you seriosuly think it's a given AC is better than CF on cobbles. I'd say other way round if Diva can do it then Froome will do it as Froome is always 1 notch above the Diva Wiggins and always will be.

I don't know if it's a given, but if I'm betting, it's on Contador being a lot better. He's just a more natural bike handler and has performed well on the cobbles and gotten training from PVP.

Froome is awkward on the bike and not experienced on the cobbles that I know of. It will be interesting.

karlboss said:
Re pictures, yep, that's why I swapped them.

Re wiggins on a leash, I'm sure having him be a loyal team mate is the plan, but when Froome hits the deck and Wiggins is in front, would you put money on him waiting. It's too early for me to be confident he would.

I actually would put money on Wiggins waiting since the ultimate goal is the yellow jersey, not Wiggins freelancing off the front. If Froome goes down I would think Wiggins would be quite useful in limiting their losses. If anything Porte more than Wiggins will be their back-up plan should the Froome-crash-on-the-cobbles scenario occur. I can't see them sending Wiggins up ahead in that event.

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Angliru said:
I actually would put money on Wiggins waiting since the ultimate goal is the yellow jersey, not Wiggins freelancing off the front. If Froome goes down I would think Wiggins would be quite useful in limiting their losses. If anything Porte more than Wiggins will be their back-up plan should the Froome-crash-on-the-cobbles scenario occur. I can't see them sending Wiggins up ahead in that event.

So you basically saying if Froome crashes, punctures or whatever, they will call both Wiggo and Porte back to help him back up?

I doubt that very much, the only 2 I can´t see help is those 2, and I think will be with the teams blessing, it´s not SKY tactics to have all the eggs in only one basket.

When did this become the Wiggins/Froome Sky thread? Can we get back to Alberto please?

He is on a little vacation but will be in training again shortly. After his monster start to the season he needs the break then can to build his Tour peak. He needs to make the peak late so he can carry form to the Vuelta when his WT points start counting again.

Meanwhile he has racked up the #1 world ranking but will those points all count for the world #1 at the end of the year? I know they won't for his team :(

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:
Meanwhile he has racked up the #1 world ranking but will those points all count for the world #1 at the end of the year? I know they won't for his team :(

Contador can win the WT, and his points count for the WT team ranking as well. However, as you mentioned it won't contribute to the team value.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
As much as I'm delighted that contador gets off a good start, I'm a little mixed feeling about the result of his other team mates. So far contador is the one that makes news for winning overall, 2nd podium and winning stage. The only sparks is kreuziger in 3rd place. Their classic team was doing all right considering bena and breschel out injured. I'm hoping in ardennes will see some good result. Good result from the entire squad is good for moral, so it doesn't seem like contador carry everyone on his back..:)

Other wise Oleg will try very hard to sign Sagan. I don't want to think about it coz the arrival of Sagan will probably create polemic for contador. (Poor this guy if that happens. Throughout his carreer, he always faces polemic> Just when he settles down, it starts again) :(. Not only bike brand but at TDF he has to share his resources with Sagan for green jersey. I can't remember if in the past a team can be successful of getting more than one goal.*I might be wrong*. Even Sky abandoned Cavendish for wiggins. So yeah, I secretly wish that Sagan goes with Alonso :D. I like the chemistry that has been going on with the team now, why disturb it?

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Jelantik said:
As much as I'm delighted that contador gets off a good start, I'm a little mixed feeling about the result of his other team mates. So far contador is the one that makes news for winning overall, 2nd podium and winning stage. The only sparks is kreuziger in 3rd place. Their classic team was doing all right considering bena and breschel out injured. I'm hoping in ardennes will see some good result. Good result from the entire squad is good for moral, so it doesn't seem like contador carry everyone on his back..:)

Other wise Oleg will try very hard to sign Sagan. I don't want to think about it coz the arrival of Sagan will probably create polemic for contador. (Poor this guy if that happens. Throughout his carreer, he always faces polemic> Just when he settles down, it starts again) :(. Not only bike brand but at TDF he has to share his resources with Sagan for green jersey. I can't remember if in the past a team can be successful of getting more than one goal.*I might be wrong*. Even Sky abandoned Cavendish for wiggins. So yeah, I secretly wish that Sagan goes with Alonso :D. I like the chemistry that has been going on with the team now, why disturb it?

With hushovd and Evans probably retiring this year BMC will have loads of spare money to throw at Sagan. Problem is there is already gilbert and GVA. Howeve I won't see much of a problem if gilbert keeps on focusing solely on the Ardennes classics. I'm also not too sure if rihs wants to continue spending so much money

Jelantik said:

Multiple goals worked great for Telekom in '96 :D

Butterhead said:
So you basically saying if Froome crashes, punctures or whatever, they will call both Wiggo and Porte back to help him back up?

I doubt that very much, the only 2 I can´t see help is those 2, and I think will be with the teams blessing, it´s not SKY tactics to have all the eggs in only one basket.

Did you not read my entire post where I said Porte would more likely be the back-up plan to Froome rather than Wiggins?:confused:

Butterhead

BANNED
Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Angliru said:
Did you not read my entire post where I said Porte would more likely be the back-up plan to Froome rather than Wiggins?:confused:

Sorry I missed that point, so we agree. :p
I´m not even so sure Wiggins will be there, but I would guess it only depend on how scared SKY are after seeing AC this spring. :D

And it seems SKY´s preparations continue to meet problems, the team cant get the hotel reservations they want, and Froome and Porte have to stay in lower altitude until there will be rooms available.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Butterhead said:
Sorry I missed that point, so we agree. :p
I´m not even so sure Wiggins will be there, but I would guess it only depend on how scared SKY are after seeing AC this spring. :D

And it seems SKY´s preparations continue to meet problems, the team cant get the hotel reservations they want, and Froome and Porte have to stay in lower altitude until there will be rooms available.

where?at training camp or for races?;)