• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 570 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
So who are in the picture for a Tour spot?

Contador
Kreuziger
Roche
Rogers
Bennati
Tosatto
Paulinho
Hernández
Mørkøv
Sutherland
Nicki

Tbh I don't think anyone else has a chance (unless several of the above mentioned riders get injured). So which two riders won't be selected and why? I think Nicki won't make it, and then one of Hernández, Mørkøv and Sutherland too. Depends on how the team will be balanced. If both Rogers and Roche (and perhaps Paulinho) will be climbing at their best, I don't think Hernández will be needed, but on the flip side there's also only need for so many flat guys. Surely only three or four of Bennati, Tosatto, Mørkøv, Sutherland and Nicki will be needed, when both Paulinho and Rogers are decent on the flat as well. Thoughts?

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Netserk said:

Contador
Kreuziger
Roche
Rogers
Bennati
Tosatto
Paulinho
Hernández
Mørkøv
Sutherland
Nicki

Tbh I don't think anyone else has a chance (unless several of the above mentioned riders get injured). So which two riders won't be selected and why? I think Nicki won't make it, and then one of Hernández, Mørkøv and Sutherland too. Depends on how the team will be balanced. If both Rogers and Roche (and perhaps Paulinho) will be climbing at their best, I don't think Hernández will be needed, but on the flip side there's also only need for so many flat guys. Surely only three or four of Bennati, Tosatto, Mørkøv, Sutherland and Nicki will be needed, when both Paulinho and Rogers are decent on the flat as well. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure Contador wants Hernández as his roommate and mental support. He would like to share the potential victory with him.

So it's between Nicki, Mørkøv and Sunderland, since Italian duo usually come as a package.

My guess would be something like:
Contador, Kreuziger, Roche, Rogers, Bennati, Tosatto, Paulinho, Hernández, Mørkøv.

Netserk said:

Contador
Kreuziger
Roche
Rogers
Bennati
Tosatto
Paulinho
Hernández
Mørkøv
Sutherland
Nicki

Nicki and Rory are the most likely to be left off IMO. Rory has really ridden well this season and it would be nice to see him get a spot. But not likely at this point I guess.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
Nicki and Rory are the most likely to be left off IMO. Rory has really ridden well this season and it would be nice to see him get a spot. But not likely at this point I guess.

I think you are right with Rory.And in adition to that,imo it would be good to have almost the same team as last year,maybe Morkov for cobbles:)

If Roche is focused on the Giro, maybe it makes more sense to rest him up for the Vuelta. I don't know that you lose anything by selecting Sutherland over Roche at this point since I don't think Roche made that much of difference last year and frankly he's been nowhere this year.

At the end of the day, I feel for Sutherland. He filled the void created by Rogers absence and his reward seems to be "atta boy." :(

Publicus said:
If Roche is focused on the Giro, maybe it makes more sense to rest him up for the Vuelta. I don't know that you lose anything by selecting Sutherland over Roche at this point since I don't think Roche made that much of difference last year and frankly he's been nowhere this year.

At the end of the day, I feel for Sutherland. He filled the void created by Rogers absence and his reward seems to be "atta boy." :(
Judged by his Tour-Vuelta last year, I think the plan is that he would be in the same form in the Tour this year as he was in the Vuelta last year.

Netserk said:
Judged by his Tour-Vuelta last year, I think the plan is that he would be in the same form in the Tour this year as he was in the Vuelta last year.

I can't recall where I read it, but he admitted he wasn't on his best form at the Tour last year, but was at the Vuelta. All indications are that is focused on being his best at the Giro. As such, I think he'll go too deep at the Giro in an attempt to finish on the podium and come in under done for the Tour.

TRENDING THREADS