• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 586 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Publicus said:
It seems him coming in has brought in more resources and allowed for more refinement in the technology they've been using. Or maybe Oleg is making a more concerted effort to get his sponsors' names out. Either way, I don't recall hearing about AC being in the wind tunnel just to test clothing in all of his time with Saxo. Sure with the bike, but never just to test clothing. That's what I was getting at by mentioning Oleg.

The Win Tunnel: Dress for Success http://youtu.be/RmNGQLi36xc

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
What are Beltran's chances of making the TdF squad? Apparently he is being sent to Dauphine to observe how he handles himself during the race in helping Alberto and then considering the possibilities of being selected for the Tour team.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
If he rides everyone of his wheel I would say his chances are good ;)

Nice :D

infeXio said:
Highly unlikely would be my best guess

I thought so. Can definitely see him riding Vuelta but riding Tour is something else.

---
This was the tweet:
@BiciGoga: Durante el Giro el DS Cenghialta (TCS) nos comenta q veran de cerca al colombiano @1KIVI en Dauphine para ver sus posibilidades para TDF

Butterhead said:
Loool yeah he is some character for sure, but at the same time the man is right.

That is why i say he is brilliant.

Cosmo's description of the interview is spot on:

Tinkoff?s interview on the polemica is fantastic. The man is brilliant:

English! For international recognition.
In kit?sponsor exposure
He climbed the Stelvio himself (nbd)
Comical ?opa!? as he recreates dodging Quintana?s attack
Leaves decision to organizers
Points out clear rules are more important than the decision itself
(via Eurosport, obvs)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
sacrifice&hardwork said:
What are Beltran's chances of making the TdF squad? Apparently he is being sent to Dauphine to observe how he handles himself during the race in helping Alberto and then considering the possibilities of being selected for the Tour team.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Has he ever ridden a GT? If not, then zero.

peloton said:

No Grand Tours yet, no, but he's definitely riding well. And heck, he's a Colombian and he was born in the apparent annus mirabilis of 1990 (he's only like a month older than Quintana) so why not? He's top tenning the Youth Classification of every stage race he enters this year, I say give the kid a shot.

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
peloton said:

He hasn't ridden a GT that's true but he was supposed to start in Il Giro this year if it wasn't for the Visa problems. So one can assume the team wants him to ride a GT this year, of course the probabilities of him riding La Vuelta are higher than riding Le Tour. But he definitely has the potential to do great things and imo to be there for Alberto in the mountains way more than the rest of the guys who will ride be in the TdF team. So it is up to him to show the team (and us even) what he can really do for himself, the team, and Contador in this case.

christopherrowe said:
No Grand Tours yet, no, but he's definitely riding well. And heck, he's a Colombian and he was born in the apparent annus mirabilis of 1990 (he's only like a month older than Quintana) so why not? He's top tenning the Youth Classification of every stage race he enters this year, I say give the kid a shot.

"No one" get's a first chance on a team hoping to fight for the win at the Tour. Not even Quintana did in 2012 and Beltran doesn't seem be as talented as Quintana.

Save him for the Vuelta where there will be less pressure and he won't be labelled as a waste of a spot in case he fails to deliver.

Parrulo said:
"No one" get's a first chance on a team hoping to fight for the win at the Tour. Not even Quintana did in 2012 and Beltran doesn't seem be as talented as Quintana.

Save him for the Vuelta where there will be less pressure and he won't be labelled as a waste of a spot in case he fails to deliver.

Fair enough. He sure looks like a great grab for a fantasy cycling team though, doesn't he? :D

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
Sebastian Henao had never ridden a GT until this Giro. Tour of course is a much bigger and more important ball game.

Yeah, Giro/Vuelta usually are the first GT's for young riders, not the Tour, esp. with one the GC favorites.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:

I actually know a guy who did get such a shot, and you might know him too. This thread is kind of about him. ;)

N.B. Beltran wil not be in the Tour of course.

BpXvzbvIIAACNwt.jpg

:D:D