• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 593 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Rory instead of Michael.

I like Rory, but Morkov will be an important rider. If only Bertie would allow to replace Jesus and Paulinho, who haven't performed this year and are kind of in decline for a while now, it would create more options. Maybe Oleg can bring/force some 'enlightment', because Bjarne clearly can't (even chubby Benjamin was a certainty).

Jesus can be an awesome roomie without actually taking part in the race, right? Let him do his thing outside of the race and, for instance, the recon in front of the race each day and brief Alberto, who he knows by heart, what the gameplan is.

Nilsson said:
I like Rory, but Morkov will be an important rider.

With Tosatto, Bennati and Breschel they'd have 3 flat domestiques, 2 allround with Sutherland and Rogers, and three climbers (Kreuziger, Hernandez and Paulinho). 4 flat doms seems a bit of an overkill. I'd prefer another allrounder like Sutherland.

If only Bertie would allow to replace Jesus and Paulinho, who haven't performed this year and are kind of in decline for a while now, it would create more options. Maybe Oleg can bring/force some 'enlightment', because Bjarne clearly can't (even chubby Benjamin was a certainty).

Paulinho and especially Hernandez are vital for Contador feeling well. Besides that, Paulinho was a beast at la Vuelta 2012 during the Fuente De stage, and as someone on Velorooms pointed out to me, Hernandez is a great climber and actually finished together with Kreuziger (top 10) on the last MTF of last year's Tour.

Jesus can be an awesome roomie without actually taking part in the race, right? Let him do his thing outside of the race and, for instance, the recon in front of the race each day and brief Alberto, who he knows by heart, what the gameplan is.

They're never going to take Hernandez to the race as dead weight. He is either going there to race, or he's not going at all.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Jelantik said:
I don't know if everyone notice. Looks like, the rest of TS boys start producing good results starting this second part of the season.

I think saxo guys were relying too much on the points earned by AC earlier. It was as if AC was carrying the entire weight of team on his shoulders.
The demand for others to perform seems to be a shift in the team focus.

If u ask me, this is very good for AC. When he is not the only bread-winner, he can pick and choose what he wants instead of being forced to do what is needed to survive.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
With Tosatto, Bennati and Breschel they'd have 3 flat domestiques, 2 allround with Sutherland and Rogers, and three climbers (Kreuziger, Hernandez and Paulinho). 4 flat doms seems a bit of an overkill. I'd prefer another allrounder like Sutherland.

Paulinho and especially Hernandez are vital for Contador feeling well. Besides that, Paulinho was a beast at la Vuelta 2012 during the Fuente De stage, and as someone on Velorooms pointed out to me, Hernandez is a great climber and actually finished together with Kreuziger (top 10) on the last MTF of last year's Tour.

i think you like 3-2-3 a lot :)
Thing with Paulinho and Hernandez is that they are the main guys who can be with Berto in every stage. Rogers adds weight to their effort, not the other way around. They are also the guys who ensure tht they lose time so tht GC guys dont care much abt them in any break.

With Rogers and Roche, ppl expect them to be GC riders or stage hunters even if that's not their role.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
So Paulinho is a climber, while Rogers is an all-rounder? :eek:

Imo so far the most likely riders to participate ranked:

Contador
Kreuziger
Rogers
Roche
Bennati
Tosatto
Hernandez
Paulinho
Moerkoev
Breschel
Sutherland
Soerensen

CAS. he had left Giro midway.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
So Paulinho is a climber, while Rogers is an all-rounder? :eek:

Imo so far the most likely riders to participate ranked:

Contador
Kreuziger
Rogers
Roche
Bennati
Tosatto
Hernandez
Paulinho
Moerkoev
Breschel
Sutherland
Soerensen

That makes tvelwe. Impossible. Only if some participate as cooks, psychologist or whatever - then the race would be lost but. :) My nine of black (and yellow) riders is at the moment:

Contador
Kreuziger
Rogers
Bennati
Tosatto
Hernandez
Paulinho
Moerkoev
Sutherland

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Kokoso said:
That makes tvelwe. Impossible. Only if some participate as cooks, psychologist or whatever - then the race would be lost but. :) My nine of black (and yellow) riders is at the moment:

Contador
Kreuziger
Rogers
Bennati
Tosatto
Hernandez
Paulinho
Moerkoev
Sutherland

I thought Roche did Giro so that he can peak for TdF.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
murali said:
I think saxo guys were relying too much on the points earned by AC earlier. It was as if AC was carrying the entire weight of team on his shoulders.
Looks like you are forgetting Kreuziger. He seems to understand the need of earning points and is decent as ever.

Not for Le Tour, obviously, but looking at Tinkoff - Saxo's roster in conjunction with reading this thread makes me idly wonder when the young Danes Michael Valgren Andersen and Jesper Hansen are going to get their first GT call-ups. They've both been going pretty well this year.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Very good performance by Alberto today.Froome in some crazy form tho.Still best from 2011.(AC)
I expect AC to hold Froome's wheel easily tomorrow (maybe a loss in final sprint etc) and little attack on penultimate stage.
Alberto looks good.Tour will be good,I know it.;)

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Uhm yes. Rogers is way more useful on the flat than Paulinho. That I ranked him as allround and Paulinho as a climber doesn't mean I think Paulinho is a better climber.

imho, there is nothing to choose between them in a MTF.

LaFlorecita said:
Cool interview

http://www.marca.com/2014/06/08/ciclismo/1402251559.html

"What do you think about Michelle Cound's tweets?"

"They don't deserve any kind of comment".
For a guy that stood against Armstrong bullying Michelle Cound's twitts are peanuts. Why would he care? He isn't a youngster anymore that needs to prove himself. I wonder if he stills talks as nice to Froome now that book is out....

TRENDING THREADS