• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 608 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Bison or whoever is the admin,

could you please drop the mandatory note of warning against froome fans again trying to spoil a good discussion on Contador thread?

I have had enough of TANK91 and his new buddies who claim to be AC fans.

regards,
murali

murali said:

could you please drop the mandatory note of warning against froome fans again trying to spoil a good discussion on Contador thread?

regards,
murali
Don't be sure he'll see your post unless you report it (or the posts that are bothering you).

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Gracias The Great One:)
His dancing on the pedals looked a little bit rusty.Its not 2009 yet but we are getting close.:D
This July we'll witness maybe the best Tour in years (prob 2007?)

I think this is the new technique that Flo was talking about earlier. he seems to be grinding in a different gear than usual.
i thought that even while he was following the wheels of dawg, he seemed to be in the wring gear. this might be the effect of the training technique with his new coach.

confirmations, anyone plz?

murali said:
I think this is the new technique that Flo was talking about earlier. he seems to be grinding in a different gear than usual.
i thought that even while he was following the wheels of dawg, he seemed to be in the wring gear. this might be the effect of the training technique with his new coach.

confirmations, anyone plz?

I don't have any source to back my statement up, but yes, from watching videos this year he seems to be riding a harder gear.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
REALLY interesting race today..

Perfect ride by AC -clever to wait attacking untill the SKY train was pretty much decimated..

Hard to tell how much Froomes injuries affected him but think it was very clever of him afterwards not to make a big deal out of this anayway..

Injury or not -Froome the other day tried really hard to burn AC with no luck..
July will be very interiesting indeed!!

These two may very well be very equal in the Tour so it will come down to this IMO (rated from 1-10 but not ellaborrated now since post will be several pages but happy to do so on request):

-Morale (team morale and team spirit included)
AC 9
CF 7
-Form (not comparing to previous performances but only H2H)
AC 9
CF 9
-Tactics (pre-race and during race) call it "Kasparov" abillty to anticipate .
AC 9
CF 6
-Experience ( especially to avoid the little things that potentially could end up bad)
AC 8
CF 6
-Team strength
AC 8
CF 8
-Tour route
AC 7
CF 8
-Mind games (pre and during the tour)
AC 8
CF 8

Still to early to be bold and give this one to AC but i do think he has the upper hand right now...

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Cadence
AC-5
CF-9

Alberto needs to work on this, he used to spin a lower gear. So his attacks could be more efficient. But I guess it's still due to his lesser form, as he's never really shone in this phase of the season AFAIK.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Pentacycle said:
Cadence
AC-5
CF-9

Alberto needs to work on this, he used to spin a lower gear. So his attacks could be more efficient. But I guess it's still due to his lesser form, as he's never really shone in this phase of the season AFAIK.

This will be very intersting to see when we get to the very steep mountains..

I still feel that he seems very efficient this way (at current) -but also I acknowledge tha CF may have an advantage if he has power equal(or better of course) to AC when the going gets tough(steep)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
murali said:

regards,
murali

Please just report posts from now on like Netserk suggested. Just posting in the thread really doesn't give us much to go on. And IMHO it's not the most polite thing to signal out certain people in public.

I don't think the off topic has been too bad, just a few comments mentioning Froome more then Contador. But I suppose I can remind people, keep this threads discussion mostly about Contador.

And we do have a Contador vs. Froome thread that both can be discussed in.

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Cimber said:
If this the twillight zone? This comes from a guy who wrote this:

Anyways, a lot of people always wanna see the "unbeatable" lose. Also a lot of people dislike the very Cold and calculated approach that Sky has and constantly seeind Froome staring as his power meter.

Also, his book hanst left a likeable image of him (and its not just about what he said about AC).

This is a nice blog about why Froome and Sky has become difficult to like (by a guy who has actually praised Sky alot in the past and has stood up for Froom regarding doping allegations in the past) its in Danish so you will need to use a translation tool:

http://veloropa.dk/problemet-med-team-sky/

I don't know what one thing has to do with the other but... yes, I wrote that and I STILL like CF.

Sky is an entirely different matter.

webbie146 said:
I keep wondering though what's up with Contador's cadence? He grinds a huge gear. Compare that to this cadence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z2AiCVzx2L8#t=1404

especially when he comes out of the first corner after attacking.

His newly adopted cadence seems to do the trick though, just a bit painful to watch sometimes.

Perhaps you should watch 2007 Paris- Nice to realize the big gear grinding is part of his weaponry - & if you master it properly it will always overcome the high cadence BS that has come along over the last 10 years as the "the most do" while climbing. Bottom line is - just watch Quintana, Pantani, il Diablo, Lucho Herrera, Fuente - pretty much the pure climbers - the secret has always been in the • spinning

cauberg1999

BANNED
Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
you alwys put a bigger gear when you are on limit because lighter gear implies more freshness of legs. this was absolutely honest battle, everyone gave its 100%.so, no surprises here.

cauberg1999 said:
you alwys put a bigger gear when you are on limit because lighter gear implies more freshness of legs. this was absolutely honest battle, everyone gave its 100%.so, no surprises here.

I agree with you about having the fresh legs to grind high gears-however-the problem nowadays with riders is how wrong they got it with the high rpm BS in order to "save the legs" for tougher times -and guess what they do when that time comes? keep going for more rpm instead of "spinning"

so I ask you - how come the "in-the-saddle high rpm riding of Froome couldn't match Contador's solo grinding, if by the rational of high rpm leg-saving method should have been more effective today?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad Contador didn't win. I already said a few months ago.

Algarve: 2nd.
T-A: 1st.
Catalunia:2nd.
Basque:1st.
Dauphine:2nd.

Anyone see a pattern? Now let's what his next stage race is ;)