• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 681 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Afrank said:
I just hope Contador doesn't let this get to him and that he doesn't let this truly become the end. I think he'll be back, I'll be cheering for him when he is.

Who knows in cycling? 2015 might be another downer depending on how bad the damages are. I´ll hope he recover and does a good Vuelta - pretty much depends on that.

Hope it is not too serious to begin with.

LaFlorecita said:
Looking back at this is so sad... I really do believe they had a plan, Jesus just said that Contador told him he wanted the stage win

Of course they had plans. Its just that we werent allowed to see its fruition and was robbed on a epic battle - postponed a year (if we are lucky).

One just stares into the perfect emptiness.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Looking forward to what? The Vuelta? Where riders who crash out in the Tour never reach their full potential?

The future, LaFlorecita. Look forward to the Vuelta, to 2015, to the 2015 Tour. And believe he will be back.

The hardest thing for Contador to do now will be to find the motivation to look forward himself. Really not much I can say, but we as fans just have to keep believing in our rider. And believing in his ability to come back strong.

All anyone can do is keep moving forward.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Chris Froome @chrisfroome · 7 min
Big loss for the TDF today. Recover well @albertocontador & I hope to see you at the Vuelta.

Definitely creates a bound between them, only froome can know what Contador feels right now. I'm happy to know that Froome is pretty much confirmed for the vuelta.

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Relax people...this is nowhere near Contador's last hurrah... I know the injury is bad and I know Bertie always will battle through pain but the fact he got back on the bike means the injury isn't extremely severe....Contador has many years at the top level left in him

Maudiut has said to Radio Tour that it was Roche's bike that fell off the car's roof and thus broke - it wasn't Contador's.
He furthermore said that his knee is severely injured and he was in deep pain, though he is getting an xray later today.
He did not give any explanation as to how or why the crash happened.

More news:
Alberto said the crash was caused by hitting something, a stone or hole in the road at 70kpm the bike broke in the crash, the bike breaking did Not cause the crash. His knee was so bad he couldn't put any pressure on the pedals, he tried and tried but he had no power in that knee.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Alcanelo said:
Relax people...this is nowhere near Contador's last hurrah... I know the injury is bad and I know Bertie always will battle through pain but the fact he got back on the bike means the injury isn't extremely severe....Contador has many years at the top level left in him

I'm sure Contador will be back, but until we actually know what the injury is we have no idea when. Andy Schleck got back on his bike after his crash--and even tried to start the next stage. I really hope Contador hasn't sustained anything like that kind of damage (and I hope Schleck recovers too--god what carnage this Tour's had--what's going on?).

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Miburo said:
Definitely creates a bound between them, only froome can know what Contador feels right now. I'm happy to know that Froome is pretty much confirmed for the vuelta.

I hope so and that Alberto can recover in time. I want to see them go head to head in the high mountains together with Quintana. To see who is the strongest.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Carols said:
More news:
Alberto said the crash was caused by hitting something, a stone or hole in the road at 70kpm the bike broke in the crash, the bike breaking did Not cause the crash. His knee was so bad he couldn't put any pressure on the pedals, he tried and tried but he had no power in that knee.

Carols, my stomach actually hurts. I guess this is called gutted. Just gutted to not have Contador in this TdF. I just send my best wishes - the knee must be bad if Contador got in the car and left the Tour. :(

pigoonse said:
Carols, my stomach actually hurts. I guess this is called gutted. Just gutted to not have Contador in this TdF. I just send my best wishes - the knee must be bad if Contador got in the car and left the Tour. :(

Thanks so much I am gutted :( He was crying when he got in the car and I feel like crying to.

But he will be back :)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
Maybe Roche and Majka can go for a stage win in the mountains. I don't really care though, the whole race is ruined.

Probably the best they can hope for. Might as well just go into multiple breakaways now and go for stages. They have a strong team of climbers that should be able to take some stage wins.

LaFlorecita said:
First abandon ever for Alberto in a GT

First abandon in years in any race if you exclude Worlds and Olympic road races

TANK91 said:
Im even sad and i don't like the guy, i mean i wanted the best too win. Now we will never know. I was already annoyed about Froome, Nibali could win the TDF lmao. He as never outclimbed AC and Froome in his life

Yeah, lets use the fact that Contador crashed out to start bashing on Nibali, seriously?

sacrifice&hardwork said:
This is too much to take... :(:(

Alberto was really motivated for today's stage. He really wanted to win today and take back as much time as possible. He was crying when he finally gave up and was getting inside his team car. As Jesus Hernandez said, the fall must've been really serious if it lead to Alberto's DNF.

:(

Forunculo said:
The possitive note is no serious mountain stage in Alberto's leg. In theory he should be fresh.

Depends on how his knee is. If he's damaged ligaments in his knee, you could be looking at a long recovery time.

I was in the listening to the radio when this happened and I haven't seen anything. Contador is a true champion. People said last year he'd never be as good again. He was this year. He will come back, it might not be this Vuelta, but we'll see him back to pull a Verbier on Froome

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
10559700_780964518602187_557944111932788225_n.png

10458002_780964848602154_7261161470936169808_n.jpg

TRENDING THREADS