• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 700 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lol you probably didnt follow pro cycling closely before 2012.If he was in form,nobody had chance.He is born with talent as a GT rider...Nibali never proved level anywhere near contador 2011 in form year.
And if AC says he was in form of his life?Why would he lie...

Well, being 40 has some good sides, like having been able to watch all the races since I was a kid, training sometimes with some pros from my area (Martinello, Ongarato, Tosatto)
When u don't have arguments other than pure speculation, guess it's the time to attack the people.
Now back to the topic please!

IronCQ said:
Well, being 40 has some good sides, like having been able to watch all the races since I was a kid, training sometimes with some pros from my area (Martinello, Ongarato, Tosatto)
When u don't have arguments other than pure speculation, guess it's the time to attack the people.
Now back to the topic please!

Could you ask Matteo then, whether he thinks Contador would have beaten Nibali :rolleyes:

PS the topic is Contador, not OMG Nibali is awesome and would have won anyway, so if you want to discuss that, go to the Nibali thread, you'll find many people who believe that too :rolleyes:

LaFlorecita said:
It was not clear to me if you meant the triple crown winners or those riders you mentioned. Either way Contador beat a much stronger pack of riders than Nibali.
my point was just that it's very easy to belittle a GT field. I listed the podium finishers of the first Giro,Tour,Vuelta won by Contador. it's not like there are multiple GT winners in there either...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Eshnar said:
my point was just that it's very easy to belittle a GT field. I listed the podium finishers of the first Giro,Tour,Vuelta won by Contador. it's not like there are multiple GT winners in there either...

Very true but Nibali is gonna win a race where the 2 top favorites crash out. If you don't think that it makes the victory of nibali less impactful you're in denial.

Eshnar said:

But it's still a better pack of riders than the ones Nibali beat.

Anyway, back on topic:

Alberto's doctor says he can start riding on the rollers in 2 weeks, but only with a low intensity.

Miburo said:
Very true but Nibali is gonna win a race where the 2 top favorites crash out. If you don't think that it makes the victory of nibali less impactful you're in denial.
While it does make it less impactful, it doesn't make it lose every merit. He was leading already after all. One can still say he won the tdf (if he does win it) on the cobble stage. Then you guys can speculate forever if he could have kept his advantage or not. But that doesn't make it a gifted win only because he lost 2 seconds in an uphill sprint with 2'30"+ of advantage in gc.

Dazed and Confused said:
Lets set one thing straight.

Winning the Triple Crown mean Pink, Yellow and Rainbow within the same calendar year.

None of the active riders have done it.

(I will leave the discussion here).

I called it the GC triple crown earlier today and shortened it to triple crown. Everyone knows what I meant.

By the way ;)
Alberto_Gorla_zps1a6a1e99.jpg

the topic is Contador, not OMG Nibali is awesome and would have won anyway, so if you want to discuss that, go to the Nibali thread, you'll find many people who believe that too

Never mentioned Nibbles.He has his thread. I just wanna point that people in the race make history. All the rest is bs, we will never know. Maybe Contador was in his best form ever. And yet he could have eaten something wrong one day and lose 5' on a stage. Still the strongest. Not the best. That's my assumption. I'm not glad he is out, was waiting for the three to battle every meter on their favourite fields, Uphill, TTs, descent and so on. But going on saying he would have won with one leg, blinded and carryng the cokes to his teamates to cheer, well, that's another story.

BTW, I'm still not sure Nibali will win this, just to let you know...

IronCQ said:
Never mentioned Nibbles.He has his thread. I just wanna point that people in the race make history. All the rest is bs, we will never know. Maybe Contador was in his best form ever. And yet he could have eaten something wrong one day and lose 5' on a stage. Still the strongest. Not the best. That's my assumption. I'm not glad he is out, was waiting for the three to battle every meter on their favourite fields, Uphill, TTs, descent and so on. But going on saying he would have won with one leg, blinded and carryng the cokes to his teamates to cheer, well, that's another story.

You want to prove he is a deserving winner. Do it in the Nibali thread, not here.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Thing is Alberto goes to the Vuelta to win, not just to participate. Even if he can get back on his bike before, he won't get much of the momentum/peak he was having and I believe he'll lose some muscle mass/strength from his right leg (which will be immobilized ..) .

It'll be hard but... we'll see, you never know with Alberto, he is full of surprises (good and bad ones hihi )

LaFlorecita said:
Again a very good post :) go you! We know the truth, Nibali will probably win, but he'll never come even close to Alberto. Alberto is almost a stage racing Legend while Nibali is merely very good. :)

Long time reader, first time poster :) I usually don't feel like giving my opinion, almost everyone in this thread is right, and events are summed up very well. I don't have much more to add.. Quite a huge difference from french forums where there are shocking posts everyday :eek:

BlurryVII said:
Quotes from N.Roche : ""The plan was to ride flat out over the last three climbs and break up the race"
The race was going to be epic, no doubt Alberto was about to to pull off something stellar
His face on Gerardmer could tell us, he was in such a great shape, perhaps his best ever or as 2009. Now I think of it and I wish he had attacked much harder that day just to show Nibali and everyone he was about to win this anyway.
My Tour is over.
Let's just hope Rodriguez gets his top form back by the 3rd week so he can show as well to everyone he is superior to the... maillot jaune .

:eek:

Roche with that Ether. I didn't know he had it in him. :eek:

Though, really, the Tour lost most of its appeal when Froome crashed out. Everyone with the least bit of cycling knowledge knew that Contador would have utterly demolished the rest of the field. It would have been as boring as the 2011 Giro.

I hope we'll get a real battle next year, with Quintana, too. You just know Nibali will duck the TDF next year, or will race the Giro first so he has that excuse. Then again, with Aru already climbing like a certified G...

ILovecycling said:
Lol you probably didnt follow pro cycling closely before 2012.If he was in form,nobody had chance.He is born with talent as a GT rider...Nibali never proved level anywhere near contador 2011 in form year.
And if AC says he was in form of his life?Why would he lie...

What did Velasco said about his form last year in the tdf? I am asking because i have not really followed him as in what he says,does blah blah.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
What did Velasco said about his form last year in the tdf? I am asking because i have not really followed him as in what he says,does blah blah.

Got a point, contador said his form was really good but it was trash. Then again this year contador has results to back up his claim.

LaFlorecita said:
I would have been able to accept that my favorite got beaten... If he actually got beaten!!!! Instead he crashed out, and now someone else is walking away with what IMO was my favorite's victory. And this isn't just some stupid race, it's the Tour, and with this win Nibali enters the group of best GC riders of all time. **** that.

You are forgetting now that Saxo were planning something big, probably an attack on Chevrères. And in case you haven't noticed, Alberto himself has also said that he thinks he would have won this Tour, because he was in his best form EVER. I am 100% sure he is ****ed off as hell that someone else is winning his Tour. He'll congratulate Nibali but it won't be sincere. So why don't you stop the BS.

That is hot.:D :p

Jagartrott said:
Seriously? Taking two seconds on Nibali who may have had the wrong gear?
:D

Nothing wrong with being a fan, but in the Tour so far, Contador did not prove that he would've been stronger than Nibali, so all the talk now is sour grapes as far as I'm concerned. Swallow your disappointment and fight another day.

I guess Froome taking only two seconds on Wiggo and Evans two years ago also didn't show anything? :rolleyes:

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
obvious trash talk,probably watched too much Clay (Ali) in off season lol:D

TRENDING THREADS