• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 921 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
perico said:
Among his fans especially, considering that many of us still consider his two stripped titles as wins.

And I certainly count myself among them..that Giro, especially, hurts.

Not wanting to tempt fate or read too much into one performance, but he looks quietly satisfied with himself - in a nice way - that he's on track.

Of course, there's a side of me that just wants him to smoke everyone and make his predominance beyond question (not that it isn't for me, but for some reason, in some quarters 6 (8) GTs isn't enough). But so long as he stays out of trouble, no crashes or other injuries to set back his year, I'm just keen he sustains the right level of form to hit his main targets this year.

Cheers, LaFlo for the Eurosport doco. info. Gees, I know it's likely to be a bit of a puff piece, but AC does come over as a guy it'd be an effort to dislike.

And yeah, looking good. Red, yellow, pink…for some reason, I really like AC in pink…

And yeah…

Eeek…dem yellow trousers are deeply unflattering!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Grats to Berto,I hope I can find a video :)

Also,to me it seems like he has more and more motivation for off-season these last years (than before ban),dont you think?
He looks very sharp,and its february :eek:

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Electress said:
And I certainly count myself among them..that Giro, especially, hurts.

Not wanting to tempt fate or read too much into one performance, but he looks quietly satisfied with himself - in a nice way - that he's on track.

Of course, there's a side of me that just wants him to smoke everyone and make his predominance beyond question (not that it isn't for me, but for some reason, in some quarters 6 (8) GTs isn't enough). But so long as he stays out of trouble, no crashes or other injuries to set back his year, I'm just keen he sustains the right level of form to hit his main targets this year.

Cheers, LaFlo for the Eurosport doco. info. Gees, I know it's likely to be a bit of a puff piece, but AC does come over as a guy it'd be an effort to dislike.

And yeah, looking good. Red, yellow, pink?for some reason, I really like AC in pink?

And yeah?

Eeek?dem yellow trousers are deeply unflattering!

I just want all the big riders fit in July. 2013 Froome was on top form and Contador was underdone, 2014 all the crashes happened and I don't think we'll ever really know who was healthy and when, even at the Vuelta. Even with the Giro and so on, if everyone stays upright there'll be no excuses.

nhowson said:
I just want all the big riders fit in July. 2013 Froome was on top form and Contador was underdone, 2014 all the crashes happened and I don't think we'll ever really know who was healthy and when, even at the Vuelta. Even with the Giro and so on, if everyone stays upright there'll be no excuses.

This is an internet forum. There will always be excuses...:D

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
nhowson said:

Yeah, but if Contador doesn't perform well at the Tour, of course Giro will be brought as the main cause dude. There's a reason as to why that double is so prestigious. Don't think Froome would be as strong as he will be at the Tour doing the Giro beforehand.

And by the way, Contador was just better than Froome last year, not only when they competed at the same time but throughout all the season no excuses (you can discount the Dauphin? & catalunya if you want, but the Vuelta was fair & square)

Alberto getting all of the attention from the ladies :p

B-OkaSuCYAAQ001.jpg

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
BlurryVII said:
Yeah, but if Contador doesn't perform well at the Tour, of course Giro will be brought as the main cause dude. There's a reason as to why that double is so prestigious. Don't think Froome would be as strong as he will be at the Tour doing the Giro beforehand.

And by the way, Contador was just better than Froome last year, not only when they competed at the same time but throughout all the season no excuses (you can discount the Dauphin? & catalunya if you want, but the Vuelta was fair & square)

No need to discount the Dauphinee, Froome was just better he won 2 stages then crashed and flew out the top 10 so he was clearly affected thats what i was annoyed about last year people assumed Contador was the unfortunate won after the TDF when it can arguably said Froome was just as much as Froome beat him 2 stages in a row. Agree on the Vuelta though Contador was superiour.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
BlurryVII said:

No need to discount the Dauphinee, Froome was just better he won 2 stages then crashed and flew out the top 10 so he was clearly affected thats what i was annoyed about last year people assumed Contador was the unfortunate won after the TDF when it can arguably said Froome was just as much as Froome beat him 2 stages in a row. Agree on the Vuelta though Contador was superiour. And i think Contador looks the stronger so today will tell us the most i suppose. Froome needs to put down a marker.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
TANK91 said:
No need to discount the Dauphinee, Froome was just better he won 2 stages then crashed and flew out the top 10 so he was clearly affected thats what i was annoyed about last year people assumed Contador was the unfortunate won after the TDF when it can arguably said Froome was just as much as Froome beat him 2 stages in a row. Agree on the Vuelta though Contador was superiour. And i think Contador looks the stronger so today will tell us the most i suppose. Froome needs to put down a marker.

alright, so then we can count catalunya as well :)
Don't care if Froome came back from an off period, Contador didn't race for 8 weeks before Dauphin?, and obviously lacked racing rythm/kms. But anyway, those 2 stages aren't gonna change the fact that AC was much better last year.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
What a ride. Fireworks until his retirement.:cool:

He did those first km at an amazing pace. It seemed that everytime it got steep (> 12%) he gained seconds and every time it got a bit more flat (< 7-8%) he lost a couple of seconds.

TRENDING THREADS