• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 919 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Angliru said:
General unhappy-jealous-geezer-riding-30-lb-antique-wishing-for-the-old'n-times-when-riders-were-"real-men" post. Thank you for your contribution.:p;)

AC hasn't won the tour since 2009 and he isn't targeting the tour this year he's targeting the giro.

If he did come to the tour this season and performed poorly do you not think that it would tarnish his legacy? To be potentially beaten by french riders? Or by TJVG? To put it in Trendy Cycling terms: If AC finished 4th behind TJVG's 3rd would that not tarnish his rep massively? Not that I think TJVG is going to make podium necessarily but I think you know what I mean. Wouldn't you rather he abandoned or never entered the race at all than finish behind Talansky or Hesjedal or like Danielson?

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
AC hasn't won the tour since 2009 and he isn't targeting the tour this year he's targeting the giro.

If he did come to the tour this season and performed poorly do you not think that it would tarnish his legacy? To be potentially beaten by french riders? Or by TJVG? To put it in Trendy Cycling terms: If AC finished 4th behind TJVG's 3rd would that not tarnish his rep massively? Not that I think TJVG is going to make podium necessarily but I think you know what I mean. Wouldn't you rather he abandoned or never entered the race at all than finish behind Talansky or Hesjedal or like Danielson?

ugh :eek: :eek: :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kSEB9_2H5I

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Really wondering in what kind of shape alberto is right now, Team has stated he is / looks stronger than last year. Started his preparation early + He's had 4 weeks training camps (1 in sicily + 3 in tenerife), and late start to the season. Great Winter in a word
There really is no chance for the 2013 fiasco to happen again, or else he is declining pretty hard.

BlurryVII said:
Really wondering in what kind of shape alberto is right now, Team has stated he is / looks stronger than last year. Started his preparation early + He's had 4 weeks training camps (1 in sicily + 3 in tenerife), and late start to the season. Great Winter in a word
There really is no chance for the 2013 fiasco to happen again, or else he is declining pretty hard.

I so hope he's in good shape :)

Have no fear the only riders who could potentially beat AC at this years Tour are the other "great three." Doing this double will only heighten his greatness...he knows what he's getting himself into and he'll at least podium. :)

BlurryVII said:

I guess the TT tomorrow is where we'll see our first indicator. :)

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
The TT is too short imo

No, I can assure you those 8 kms will be very important, especially when you know Contador's performance last year in Algarve and the fact that there are quite a few repechos on the way. It suits him, he should come in the top 5, an on-form AC would even win it given the profile (not saying he is in that kind of shape right now).

I'm quite comfortable in the belief that his legacy will remain intact however the Tour's gc turns out. I believe he will at minimum podium the Tour and his Giro should be a resounding success, IMHO of course.

As far as Hesjedal and Danielson (???????) finishing ahead of him at the Tour, I must say only in your own fantasies would that ever happen. Hesjedal had his moment of ultimate glory (it's long past) and Danielson.... well you including him only goes to show how detached from the reality of today's cycling you are, provided Danielson wasn't included in jest.

Angliru said:
I'm quite comfortable in the belief that his legacy will remain intact however the Tour's gc turns out. I believe he will at minimum podium the Tour and his Giro should be a resounding success, IMHO of course.

As far as Hesjedal and Danielson (???????) finishing ahead of him at the Tour, I must say only in your own fantasies would that ever happen. Hesjedal had his moment of ultimate glory (it's long past) and Danielson.... well you including him only goes to show how detached from the reality of today's cycling you are, provided Danielson wasn't included in jest.

You made my point better than I ever could've hoped.

hmmmm....

http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/alberto-contador-ill-best-vuelta-andalucia-winning-complicated/

In effect, Alberto Contador thinks he?s a little late compared to last year. ?This year I put on a little less intensity, thinking precisely on the Giro and the Tour. I wanted to have a good level, but not wear me out more than necessary. Maybe I?m a little further back than last year,? Contador commented.

Given his current form, Contador doesn?t want to think about the result of the race, even though he assures he will try to give his best. ?I?m a rider that likes to give the maximum in every race and this is what I will do here as well. It will be my physical condition that decides how it all goes. I will do my best to finish with a result as good as possible, but if we refer to winning, I think it is complicated.?

I really want him to win...:(

LaFlorecita said:
Come on, you can't expect the Saxo PR manager to know about that one race they rode together almost 10 years ago.
It would only have taken a short glimpse to realize that they have previously ridden on the same team, which should prompt them to check if they had ridden any races together. Okay, it's no biggie, but a fail is a fail ;)

LaFlorecita said:

So do I!! But, in this regard I really don't trust AC at all. He's not going to be telling everyone he's on fire. Playing down expectations is to be expected.

And I'm with Angliru:

No matter what happens, he's still amassed a record unlike any other of the current generation. He can augment his legacy, but there's enough to stand comfortably within the pantheon of cycling greats IMO.

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
He'll do fine :cool:

10991155_638950499540259_3088064928870511868_n.jpg

Of course I want AC to win Andalucia but I would rather have him properly prepared for the Giro and Tour. If, in order to do this, he has to be a little "less ready" at this point than he was last year, then I'll except that. This year is unique for him so I would understand if his level of fitness is different now than it usually is. But then again he could just be playing games and he is ready to rock n roll. :) Who knows...

TRENDING THREADS