• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 918 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I dunno, he's been saying it for a while. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he changes his mind near the end of next season.

Come on, you know Alberto. If there's one rider who play games with the media, he is.

Zam_Olyas said:
He isnt a huge liar already?

Hey Zam did you see this?:)

ivanbasso
‏@ivanbasso
Inspirational person? @albertocontador is the living proof that people can overcome anything.@tinkoff_saxo boys GO GO
B8275VcIcAAhMWn.jpg

https://twitter.com/ivanbasso/status/562312490428928001
&
?Since the moment I joined Tinkoff-Saxo, my ambition has been to reach the start of the season with all forces available to provide my best for the team. I?m very happy to kick off the season by the side of our extraordinay captain, Alberto Contador. I think we are at a very good level right now, as a group, and personally I feel very well?, says Ivan Basso and continues:

?I am convinced we have given our best this winter. We?ve given thorough attention to every detail and I think these efforts will pay off. I feel ready to take up the challenge and help Albert to reach the goal we have in Ruta del Sol, which is basically to win?.
http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/bas...t-ruta-del-sol-support-team-captain-contador/

LaFlorecita said:
Hey Zam did you see this?:)

ivanbasso
‏@ivanbasso
Inspirational person? @albertocontador is the living proof that people can overcome anything.@tinkoff_saxo boys GO GO
B8275VcIcAAhMWn.jpg

https://twitter.com/ivanbasso/status/562312490428928001
&

http://www.tinkoffsaxo.com/news/bas...t-ruta-del-sol-support-team-captain-contador/

Basso seems to be whistling and smiling at the same time while "Albert" looks a bit down. With all the ex-Sky staff employed recently by Oleg no wonder all details are looked after.

nhowson said:
The most intriguing aspect of this for me is that it crosses off a possibility for Tinkov's BIGGEST CYCLING NEWS EVER.

Yeah - wonder how drunk Oleg was when he posted that, eh?

I hate to say, but I do think it'll be 2016 at the latest - (hopefully in a valedictorian 2016 extended fun ride because he's done the double and has absolutely nothing left to do but enjoy winning whatever the hell he wants one last time) or because he wants to win the Tour and go out on that having not managed it this year.

I'd like to be wrong in a way because I want to be able to watch him for as long as he can adequately ride a bike, but at the same time, I don't want him to go on if his heart isn't really in it. And it seems to me - he rides on 'feeling' not the power metre, after all - that if he's talking this way it's because he knows it's the right time to stop. I don't buy the playing with the media stuff - what's the point? Not sure what he gains from it? Hardly needs the attention a the minute.

Given how prepared Riis always says he is with respect to racing, it seems likely there is a plan in mind for the future - probably both personally (little baby Albertos?) and professionally (the foundation? Something non-cycling? DS at some point?)

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Sad to see him go in 2016.

But it just makes the next 2 seasons even more "must see". Enjoy it while we can. Huge loss for cycling.

Don't discount Majka as a future GT winner. He is being groomed. By watching " The Man"

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Arredondo said:
Come on, you know Alberto. If there's one rider who play games with the media, he is.

I don't think he is playing with the media. Cancelara also has mentioned about retiring. There's nothing wrong for Alberto to retire next year. Maybe he knows that his time is coming. It's not very easy to keep motivated and challenge yourself. Punishing the body with hard training year after year is bound to take tool physically and mentally. For me I will enjoy him in his last 2 years. And I hope he will be upright and win races just like he wants it. Retire when he is at the top of his game.

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
Invisible at the Ardennes classics, a ton of talk about riding for first, a ton of wheelsucking, and podium at Giro. I doubt he would ruin his legacy by showing up at this year's tour.

General unhappy-jealous-geezer-riding-30-lb-antique-wishing-for-the-old'n-times-when-riders-were-"real-men" post. Thank you for your contribution.:p;)