• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 948 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Just took a look at Contadors results from 2011 where he rode the Giro, and it isn't impressive at all before the Giro. Also take a look at Basso's results from his Team CSC times when he tried the double in 2005 and 2006. http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?id=140543&season=2005

Clearly we just expect too much from Contador. No one else with a double in mind would be anywhere near his level atm. He's going for 2 peaks this year - Giro and the Tour. NO mini peak, so lets everybody just take a chill.

Contadors is using old models, which is what Nibali is doing as well. They'll both be there when it matters.

Re:

rm7 said:
Just took a look at Contadors results from 2011 where he rode the Giro, and it isn't impressive at all before the Giro. Also take a look at Basso's results from his Team CSC times when he tried the double in 2005 and 2006. http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider.php?id=140543&season=2005

Clearly we just expect too much from Contador. No one else with a double in mind would be anywhere near his level atm. He's going for 2 peaks this year - Giro and the Tour. NO mini peak, so lets everybody just take a chill.

Contadors is using old models, which is what Nibali is doing as well. They'll both be there when it matters.

That was my point. It remains to be seen, however, if the old models still work. In any case that he is still going for it is unimpeachable given today's cycling for the very same reason that the models might not still work...

Re:

rm7 said:

Meh, he was impressive enough in 2011. Wasn't really prepared for Algarve as he only got cleared a couple days ahead. He showed good shape in every race besides Algarve.

Re:

rm7 said:

If we look at his 2011 results...

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
rm7 said:

Meh, he was impressive enough in 2011. Wasn't really prepared for Algarve as he only got cleared a couple days ahead. He showed good shape in every race besides Algarve.

But Flo, he wasn't preparing for the freekin double!

rhubroma said:
LaFlorecita said:
rm7 said:

But Flo, he wasn't preparing for the freekin double!

I know, I was just countering rm7's claim that he wasn't impressive before the Giro :)

The simple point is that Alberto can't be crushing them now. Do people even realize how hard the Giro is?

Then, there is the Tour. I bet Byarn and Co. are looking at Pantani 98 for a gauge. Where was Pantani in early March that year? Let us not discount this, since there are no other recent parameters.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

rhubroma said:
The simple point is that Alberto can't be crushing them now. Do people even realize how hard the Giro is?

Then, there is the Tour. I bet Byarn and Co. are looking at Pantani 98 for a gauge. Where was Pantani in early March that year? Let us not discount this, since there are no other recent parameters.
I was also wondering where they get their data,,,this is really a huge task,but I still believe he can do it. :)

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Joelsim said:
He won't win Il Giro and the TdF. Not a chance (barring injury). Quintana was stunning today, Froome is on the up, Nibali will have prepared by then. And obviously there is Betancur too.

Lol................

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Andrew Hood @EuroHoody · 1 u 1 uur geleden
Props to @albertocontador for stopping at line, in a blizzard, to talk to media; Nibali has refused to speak to press for 2nd day in a row

Apart from everything else, this is why like Alberto. He can't be happy with how things worked out, the weather's shitty, and yet he does his job with minimum fuss. So good to hear.

Whoever said the spectre of Contador in 2013 looms large for the fans, I agree. That and the spectre of Sky in 2013 as well. But I feel somewhat better now the dust has settled. Not looking forward to Catalunya, mind, but I think I'm ready for it.

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
rm7 said:

I'm not saying he was bad in 2011 or anything, i'm just saying that if you compare his one week stage races results from the year when his goal was the Giro, to years where his goal was the Tour - theres a remarkable difference.

If anybody expected the spring to be like last year where he won 2 races and 2nd and the other two, then I fully understand why people are disappointed. It was really never going to happen.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Well at least the Giro will be a walk in the park. Richie is in really good form, dominating at PN and as we've been told, such good form cannot be sustained which is why bad form right now is to be celebrated for Giro/Tour peakers, so Porte will be a push over at the Giro and no help, if he rides, at the Tour.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Well at least the Giro will be a walk in the park. Richie is in really good form, dominating at PN and as we've been told, such good form cannot be sustained which is why bad form right now is to be celebrated for Giro/Tour peakers, so Porte will be a push over at the Giro and no help, if he rides, at the Tour.

No one is "celebrating" bad form, though it would truly be physically impossible to be that good now, and tops in May and July.

I truly hope the pundits are wrong, that is that the double is no longer possible, however, it will be really, really difficult.

To be honest with you, when I saw how thin Porte was and how good he was already in Australia I thought: either this guy has hit near peak way too early, or else Contador truly better be on his game at the Giro if he wants to win. With the science of preparation today and the talent that is out there, it might indeed be too much to ask to go for both.

I hope not, but the sport has changed and not really for the better. On the other hand, last year actually could have been his missed oppurtunity, because Quintana was not unbeatable at the Giro and the Tour would have been very open had he and Froome not crashed.

Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:
Props to @albertocontador for stopping at line, in a blizzard, to talk to media; Nibali has refused to speak to press for 2nd day in a row

Apart from everything else, this is why like Alberto. He can't be happy with how things worked out, the weather's shitty, and yet he does his job with minimum fuss. So good to hear.

Whoever said the spectre of Contador in 2013 looms large for the fans, I agree. That and the spectre of Sky in 2013 as well. But I feel somewhat better now the dust has settled. Not looking forward to Catalunya, mind, but I think I'm ready for it.

I know *hugs*

I am just expecting him to get his ass kicked from here to Singapore... If he manages to limit the damage I'll be happy..

For those interested here is some extra info about Alberto's bike +pics.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/pro-bike-alberto-contadors-2015-specialized-s-works-tarmac-ac15-43805/
I can't be the only one who is surprised to see Alberto still rocking a mechanical groupset even though the team allegedly switched to Shimano for the electronic groupset?? Well... surprised... Not really. More amazed :p

It's hard to predict what's up. A good Contador should be able to drop all the others atleast, but he isn't at his best and to be honest I hoped he wouldn't be at his best the races before the double. He sure does show his face and isn't a disgrace as Nibali.

Maybe Contador isn't as good as he expects himself to be or it's all part of the build up toward the double.

LaFlorecita said:
Electress said:
LaFlorecita said:

I know *hugs*

I am just expecting him to get his ass kicked from here to Singapore... If he manages to limit the damage I'll be happy..

For those interested here is some extra info about Alberto's bike +pics.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/article/pro-bike-alberto-contadors-2015-specialized-s-works-tarmac-ac15-43805/
I can't be the only one who is surprised to see Alberto still rocking a mechanical groupset even though the team allegedly switched to Shimano for the electronic groupset?? Well... surprised... Not really. More amazed :p

Flo, you are s-u-c-h a drama queen! Relax. He will be in top form at the Giro. Not before. He c-a-n-'-t be in top shape now. How many times do I have to spell it for you? Since he might be able to win the Giro, but would be burnt out for the Tour. They are just employing a different strategy. At least this is what they must be planning.

Alberto should be setting fireworks off at the Giro, to than carry it through the Tour. The only way this is possible, is for him to be at 80% now. Reiss and Co. must know this!

I previously mentioned Pantani as the reference, but I forgot Ivan Basso of course in 2006, when the Italian was going alien and could have won the Tour as well. Thus I think people should be seeing when Ivan came into really good form that year. If I am not mistaken it was starting to show at Romandie, but not before. Someone might though be able to clarify that.

This is how I read it: Froome came in at a very high level to try and beat Alberto and did by 1 second. Big deal. He either paid the consequences for being that thin so early and got sick, or they realized he was too reved up and thought it better to not work the enginee any harder, or both. Nairo, on the other hand, isn't riding the Giro (neither is Port the Tour to win), raced in Argentina then was at altitude in Colombia, for which his climbing game is already at the Giro-Tour level.

Non of this matters to Alberto. He will loose another 3 kilos, do a couple of altitude sessions and be ready for the Giro, then tackle the Tour like Ivan did in 2006.

Matt Stephens said yesterday on Eurosport that Riis was saying it wasn't great to be too thin at this time of the year ...it left you open to illness and Matt himself said it is very hard for a rider to maintain it for very long
Froome , Porte,Thomas & Poels are very thin at the moment ...it is paying off for SKY now but its is still just March ...long way to June yet

Quintana has just come from altitude in Columbia and so the climb in T/A was easier for him....plus he is naturally so small his weight is low anyways

It is so competitive now that riders cannot win all year round like in the older days If it happens like Wiggins in 2012 the rider is no where the next year ...

I do think Porte is Contador's best rival at the Giro with maybe Uran & Aru ....but I cannot see any of hem beating him for various reasons inc Uran not a top 3 week climber, Porte always has a bad day , Aru not quite there yet

As for the double this is a different matter...I think Froome & Quintana will be difficult to beat ...I think they have better team than TCS especially SKY ...TCS team so far are not looking so strong ...maybe should have bought a few more younger doms

Vuelta Catalunya will be a good race to test the TCS team ....SKY have their A team at this race ...Froome, Porte, Poels, Roche, Kennaugh,Konig, etc

I find it so strange the so called supporters of Contador go into metdown becasue he doesn't win every race...mental!!