• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
To cheer up his doomesdayer fans, he basically said that he wants the mountains to arrive already, so lets put off the end times postings till Asturias.

Interesting that he thinks having Tour in legs would be better than no races at all.

Next year Tour then Vuelta perchance?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Cimber said:
More or less what he said in that interview but now in plain English:

“It's been a long period of time without competing for me and the parcours have so far been suitable for explosive riders. Now it will be suitable for me and the climbers. We're going into a terrain where I feel more comfortable. It's seems to be a pretty good time trial for me but also for the other three in the top of the GC. There's one climb and one descent and that's better for a rider like Joaquin (Rodriguez) than if it were a purely flat time trial. I think the four of us will perform well and the outcome of that stage will decide the tactics in the big mountains”, the Spaniard concluded.

http://teamsaxobanktinkoffbank.com/ny_news.asp?n_id=3764&lang=uk

Wrong translation. The original in Spanish says that the climb is good (not better) for Purito.

I understand AC is lacking racing miles leading into this Vuelta. But wasn't he 'sitting on a beach' prior to being called up for the 2008 Giro ? He still won then even if it wasn't crushing like 2011 Giro. He should still be able to win the Vuelta although Froome seems his greatest obstacle.

Cookster15 said:
I understand AC is lacking racing miles leading into this Vuelta. But wasn't he 'sitting on a beach' prior to being called up for the 2008 Giro ? He still won then even if it wasn't crushing like 2011 Giro. He should still be able to win the Vuelta although Froome seems his greatest obstacle.

He had a few races in the months prior to the 2008 Giro, so it's different thant the current situation where he essentially has zero race miles (unless you count Tour de San Luis).

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Why not? It was the plan for this year as well.

I think he wanted to do that for a long time already.

2011 obviously wasn't possible, 2009 and 2010 they were team problems and the clinic-affaire.

I think he should have went in 2009 though. He didn't went all out in tour '09. He could have won the vuelta that year for sure.

Miburo said:
I think he wanted to do that for a long time already.

2011 obviously wasn't possible, 2009 and 2010 they were team problems and the clinic-affaire.

I think he should have went in 2009 though. He didn't went all out in tour '09. He could have won the vuelta that year for sure.

2009 would've been best but as you mentioned there were team problems.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Oh really Alejandro :rolleyes:

Don't be worried,Piti is on a good side:)...he probably believes in him but says that with better preparation Alberto would be better already in the first week (what a breaking news ...:D).
Anyway its pretty obvious that Piti was bored today,like all of us:rolleyes:

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Cookster15 said:

In soccer there is what is known as "match fitness" very different from regular fitness. I think we are now realizing what this means in cycling. AC has enough experience as a pro that he knew it would be a factor. But it is a 3 wk race which is good and so he can sharpen his skills, gain some confidence. A win would have been good from a mind fitness point, but it is more important to get the win this week rather than last. i am not ruling out a win in the ITT, I think he has planned for it and it will be be just perfecto for confidence and sharpness going into saturday.

Angliru said:
In a way he's right. Not racing for 6-8 months can't be thought of as ideal preparation for contending in a grand tour. Likely under normal conditions he would have arrived in prime race form and potentially would have a more advantageous position in the standings.

Agreed. But I noticed from one of the comments from AC in admitting he messed up his attack Sunday that he felt good and could have gone with Gilbert. Given that Froome was out on his feet already that would have been interesting. Just saying:)

ferryman said:
Agreed. But I noticed from one of the comments from AC in admitting he messed up his attack Sunday that he felt good and could have gone with Gilbert. Given that Froome was out on his feet already that would have been interesting. Just saying:)

If that's true indeed... Contador would likely have gotten seconds for 3rd place and they would probably have gotten more than 12 seconds.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Panda Claws said:
If that's true indeed... Contador would likely have gotten seconds for 3rd place and they would probably have gotten more than 12 seconds.

ferryman said:
Well read PC. That was what I was inferring.

It would have been nice to see AC start behind CF in the time trial, and he likely would have gotten the few seconds needed if he didn't mistime that ending on Sunday.

The Hitch said:
Man must people be picky if they get so annoyed by a custom celebration.

Yeah so much more entertaining if they all just put their hands in the air. :rolleyes:
I can understand that: it gets too mechanical and predictable to celebrate always like that. I prefered his celebration when he won a stage in Murcia 2011 (I think). Full of emotion and rage, just like it should.

ap-2278f492384e42c8bbec544811573bed.jpg

TRENDING THREADS