• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 359 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think we would need a small miracle to see a favourite attack so early in the race.

Contador won't be behind Froome at that point in the race so will probably more be worried about saving his energies for the really important stages.

If it was later in the race and Contador was behind Froome on GC, then he would probably attack, but so early . . .. =/

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
I think we would need a small miracle to see a favourite attack so early in the race.

Contador won't be behind Froome at that point in the race so will probably more worried about saving his energies for the really important stages.

If it was later in the race and Contador was behind Froome on GC, then he would probably attack, but so early . . .. =/

It's not likely but if it the descent is really technical i think it's worth to test how good Froome really is when he's under pressure there.

Besides Contador will be behind after TTT (and ITT) anyways so take it as a preventive measure ;)

Not many stages like this, it's worth a go. Contador also did it in tour and giro 2011.

Parrulo said:

Contador won't be behind Froome at that point in the race so will probably more worried about saving his energies for the really important stages.

You have to think folks like Valverde and Purito (and others) who may lose buckets of time in the TTT (in Purito's case) and the ITT (both), they can't wait until the later stages to hope that they can get things going. Also, this would be an ideal place to either send someone from Saxo into the break and possibly use him to help drive to the finish if Contador et others succeeding in dropping Froome on the descent (implies, obviously, that they got away over the top). The fact that we are discussing this topic in this forum, however, makes me almost certain that it won't come to pass :D

Miburo said:
I think Contador might do something in this stage

galeria62457-004.jpg

According to gilbert the descent at the end is really technical so i think Contador is obliged to do something ;). Maybe together with voeckler, valverde, purito orso.

I don't see any reason besides hiding your true form for not doing it but Contador is not that kinda guy. Besides if by some miracle he has the yellow jersey there's a TTT next stage thus he'll most likely lose it and giving Froome a mental hit that early would be a great thing. Obviously i'm assuming Froome won't be able to follow :eek: The descent will be crucial.

And that's also a great thing about sky, it doesn't matter if they've the yellow jersey or not they'll always ride. They only have one game, they could play out Porte in a stage but i think they'll never ever do that. It's all about Froome.

Edit: I forgot Sagan of course. Contador needs to be with Sagan at the end of the climb and try and follow him in the descent.

Putting Froome on a constant pressure is advised imo. He might make a mistake, try and get him out of his comfort zone. He forgot to put on a jacket in T-A stage 6 for example. That stuff can make you lose the tour.

Sorry but not a good idea. A simple case of learning from ones own experiences. Into Pinarolo, Sanchez and Contador got a gap on the descent and then what - 3.2 km of pan flat, which gave the group of remaining favourites the perfect opportunity to work together and bring them back.

Considering this is a 3km hill and 13.5 km from the top to the finish, Im guessing there is more than 3km of flat in here.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Sorry but not a good idea. A simple case of learning from ones own experiences. Into Pinarolo, Sanchez and Contador got a gap on the descent and then what - 3.2 km of pan flat, which gave the group of remaining favourites the perfect opportunity to work together and bring them back.

Considering this is a 3km hill and 13.5 km from the top to the finish, Im guessing there is more than 3km of flat in here.

So? ok that's one example where it failed but if you've the right guys with you it's definitely possible.

We should just wait for the skytrain? I know they shouldn't be like morons and attack everywhere but i think this stage is good enough to give it at least a try.

Voeckler made btw a mistake there in that descent cause of the pressure, can happen with a favorite in that stage too.

http://c-cycling.blogspot.cz/2013/06/tour-exclusive-jesus-hernandez-we-are.html

Many have doubted if Alberto Contador will reach his former level of greatness in this year’s Tour de France. The Spaniard hasn’t won any of the stage races he has been riding and so far he’s only got one stage win this season. However, what many tend to forget is that this year the plan has been different. Alberto Contador was mentally drained after his turbulent 2012-season and he needed a longer winter break than usually. Therefore, he started out 2013 three kilos heavier than the preview years, and naturally this has affected his results.

Instead of being close to his best level during the first part of the season - as he usually is - Contador has planned everything around the Tour de France. At Dauphiné he said he was on 75 % and according to his best friend and teammate, Jesus Hernandez, Alberto Contador is now ready to fight for the overall win.

“In general I think the balance is good. We haven’t won [much] but we have been close in all the races and therefore, the balance can’t be bad. Each year is different and the beginnings of the seasons are never the same. We have been working hard in order to arrive in a good condition for the Tour and I think we have achieved that”, Jesus Hernandez tells me.

Looking at the Saxo-Tinkoff team for the Tour, I doubt Alberto Contador has ever had a stronger team to support him. A view shared by Hernandez.

“We come [to the Tour] with a very solid block [of riders] in all areas, very attuned around Alberto. It is indeed a very strong team”, Hernandez says and ads: “The last rider in the mountains will be Kreuziger, who’s very strong. Before that, it’s up to Rogers, Roche and me depending on the stages”.

The two individual time trials in this year’s Tour de France is, without a doubt, in the favor of Chris Froome. Therefore, many have been wondering if Alberto Contador will be strong enough in the mountains to take back the time he will lose against the clock. According to Jesus Hernandez, that’s not an issue.

“[Taking back lost time in the mountains] won’t be a question with Alberto on this best level. In fact, it will be other way around”, Hernandez assures.

Due to Alberto Contador’s “poor” results this year, rumors of Contador not being as strong as usually in his training have surfaced. I asked Jesus Hernandez about these rumors and I think his answer speaks for itself.

“Come train a few days with him [Contador] and you will see the answer to those rumors”.

Oh yeah

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It´s too much of a gamble just to gain a few seconds, Contador is an opportunist but he´s not stupid or reckless. The chance of a crash is likely to high, even for him, it´s not worth it.

LaFlorecita said:

Many have doubted if Alberto Contador will reach his former level of greatness in this year’s Tour de France. The Spaniard hasn’t won any of the stage races he has been riding and so far he’s only got one stage win this season. However, what many tend to forget is that this year the plan has been different. Alberto Contador was mentally drained after his turbulent 2012-season and he needed a longer winter break than usually. Therefore, he started out 2013 three kilos heavier than the preview years, and naturally this has affected his results.

Instead of being close to his best level during the first part of the season - as he usually is - Contador has planned everything around the Tour de France. At Dauphiné he said he was on 75 % and according to his best friend and teammate, Jesus Hernandez, Alberto Contador is now ready to fight for the overall win.

“In general I think the balance is good. We haven’t won [much] but we have been close in all the races and therefore, the balance can’t be bad. Each year is different and the beginnings of the seasons are never the same. We have been working hard in order to arrive in a good condition for the Tour and I think we have achieved that”, Jesus Hernandez tells me.

Looking at the Saxo-Tinkoff team for the Tour, I doubt Alberto Contador has ever had a stronger team to support him. A view shared by Hernandez.

“We come [to the Tour] with a very solid block [of riders] in all areas, very attuned around Alberto. It is indeed a very strong team”, Hernandez says and ads: “The last rider in the mountains will be Kreuziger, who’s very strong. Before that, it’s up to Rogers, Roche and me depending on the stages”.

The two individual time trials in this year’s Tour de France is, without a doubt, in the favor of Chris Froome. Therefore, many have been wondering if Alberto Contador will be strong enough in the mountains to take back the time he will lose against the clock. According to Jesus Hernandez, that’s not an issue.

“[Taking back lost time in the mountains] won’t be a question with Alberto on this best level. In fact, it will be other way around”, Hernandez assures.

Due to Alberto Contador’s “poor” results this year, rumors of Contador not being as strong as usually in his training have surfaced. I asked Jesus Hernandez about these rumors and I think his answer speaks for itself.

“Come train a few days with him [Contador] and you will see the answer to those rumors”.

Oh yeah

told you:p

hope everything will be ok on the first week

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Oh yeah[/QUOTE]

Are you feeling better now Flo?

Told you, no reason to be worried, it´s AC and Riis, they know what they are doing. Only time will tell if it´s enough, but he will be ready to battle it out, this wont be easy for anyone, they surely gonna sweat if they wanna beat him.

Miburo said:
So? ok that's one example where it failed but if you've the right guys with you it's definitely possible.

We should just wait for the skytrain? I know they shouldn't be like morons and attack everywhere but i think this stage is good enough to give it at least a try.

Voeckler made btw a mistake there in that descent cause of the pressure, can happen with a favorite in that stage too.

And what happened a day later? contador and sanchez cracked.

if there is flat then a small group working together wastes more energy than a large group with 8 sky domestiques pushing the pace. Contador would be wasting energy he might need later in the race.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:

if there is flat then a small group working together wastes more energy than a large group with 8 sky domestiques pushing the pace. Contador would be wasting energy he might need later in the race.

I doubt that was cause of that, they were pulling 3 km, that's it! Who was pulling them back btw?

The 2 Schlecks (and a bit evans but that's it) and what did they do next stage? :rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Miburo remember your response to the lacks of attacks by Nibali in the first week of the Giro. :rolleyes:

Well i assumed he was gonna deal with a super wiggins, can you blame me?

Besides i still think they made a mistake by not finishing wiggins of earlier.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
Yes.

No matter how strong Wiggo was, it'd be a waste to go all out in the early stages.

I disagree. Wiggins wouldn't suffer during these stages, right? :rolleyes:

But ok let's ignore the words of the best GT rider of the last 5 years in how to win a GT ;)

LaFlorecita said:

Oh yeah

And I thought I was amped for the TdF to start before... :D

The Hitch said:

Andy was alone, he was working for his brother, son his brother didnt wait for him, so he wasted the same energy...and he did next day what he did...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Is that the stage LLS won in 2011? With all the crashes?

Edit: Oh i see, where could he have attacked there? That hill is not steep at all.

Netserk said:
Neither do I in stage 3 this year...

Relatively steep hill, technical descent, and not that far from the finish. Yea, no opportunity at all.

Trust me if Alberto loses the tour you'll pray he had tried on this stage. ASO doesn't offer many stages with finishes for GC contenders other than MTFs. Alberto should do as he said, take every opportunity.

TRENDING THREADS