• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 362 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cimber said:
There is also a very interesting Contador interview with him in The Independen from yesterday:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...l-chris-froome-on-tour-de-france-8673812.html

Some quotes from it:

"I then started to build things up at the Critérium du Dauphiné and I was actually happy with how it went. I got stronger and stronger as the race went on and I'm now, form-wise, where I want to be."

Other people might take Sky's superiority at the Tour de France for granted after 2012 but Contador warns: "Not me. I've no intention of being a conformist in this race. Not in the slightest."

Being an unpredictable racer is something he relishes. "I could have lost everything in that race (EDIT: the vuelta 2012)," he says, "I risked it all with one big attack. I learnt there that sometimes you've got to rip up the script and act on instinct. It's never all about calculation."

"Cycling is not all about mathematics," he says. "You have to see what your rivals are doing. Fortunately, we're not machines and circumstances inside a race can change so fast. This sport isn't one that you can control as easily as others. This Tour, in particular, could continue to be wide-open right up until the final mountain top finish at Annecy on the second last day."

I really like hearing things like this, especially the underlined. In the modern era of cycling there is a lot of conservative racing and riding according to how much work your powermeter says you can do. So it is refreshing to hear there are still riders who will ride with their heart as opposed to their screen. And who aren't afraid to risk it all if need be.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Just got back from France, climbed Alpe d'huez on 1:05, how these guys gets down to 40 min is beyond me :eek: Hope AC takes a Pantani this year :)

one minute and 5 seconds is fast even for vino:D
i hope you had fun, alpe this july will be ballistic with full sprinting from the bottom... andy, alberto and froomey

and kash:D

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Afrank said:
I really like hearing things like this, especially the underlined. In the modern era of cycling there is a lot of conservative racing and riding according to how much work your powermeter says you can do. So it is refreshing to hear there are still riders who will ride with their heart as opposed to their screen. And who aren't afraid to risk it all if need be.

Froome might be the stronger rider at the moment, but for exactly the reasons you pinpoint Contador got so many fans of many nationalities. They don't root for him cos he is Spanish but for the reasons highlighted in that interview.

Sky's approach might be "smarter" or at least more logical. But Contadors more intuitive approach is just considered much more likeable by many people. Including me.

Vino attacks everyone said:
Just got back from France, climbed Alpe d'huez on 1:05, how these guys gets down to 40 min is beyond me :eek: Hope AC takes a Pantani this year :)

Well done sir. Even though i consider Alpe the most overrated climb in the world , i doubt i would even be able to climb it. 1.05 is about 13km/h, for 1 hour up 8.5% gradient, is really impressive.

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
I hope Alberto has a great tour. I'm not a big fan of his but he sure can make the racing interesting if he is on form. And I'd much rather see a closely contested race for the whole 3 weeks. :)

Cimber said:
Just found this among the CN 100th Tour gallery. Gotta love Armstrongs face and look on that picture

000_dv557250_670.jpg

Lance: "Not bad".

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Ha ha well done jensie chapeau :D

I would do Alpe in 30 minutes I think... the first 1km that is :D

i would do it in 10 minutes with my car slalom to the top. And wait for you guys to catch up with a hot coco on my hand.:D

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Cimber said:
He said he was at 75% in Dauphiné. Now, at the start of the Tour he says he reckons he is at about 90%.

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/contador-savner-ikke-riis-ved-sin-side

Hopefully 100% by the 3rd week

Also he doesnt rule out attacking on Corsica already

Furthermore, he says the route allows for the posibility of early attacks if needed

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article2024229.ece

Oh yeah :D I'm becoming more and more optimistic :D

Oh and Riis can't leave the team... :(

TRENDING THREADS