• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 390 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
McLovin said:
Regarding Bonascre, I think none of us knows what's going to hit us.I'm talking about Froome. Contador fans, Froome fans, Cameron Meyer fans, whatever...we don't have a clue. It's my opinion but I guess everybody feels it, even some don't like to admit it. Let's just hope that whatever this guy is going to do, he's honest. Cycling doesn't need another scam.

I have no glory bringing this because everybody felt it.

LaFlorecita said:

And of course he'll never be allowed to get away for a stage win.

He should drop out and focus on next season.

Really surprised with him today, I had a feeling he wouldn't be quite at his peak yet but he really struggled today, if he loses more time in the TT and up Ventoux then he could be allowed some room to get a win on one the final MTF possibly Alpe D'Huez?

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I don't think so, he's been **** all season. A virus maybe? Or maybe he has really been struggling in training. No motivation and maybe that's why he moved to Lugano? Only teammates there so nothing to do but train.

Could it be the allergy or the high temperatures in this stage? I remember he had a similar stage in the Vuelta 2012 where he limited his losses to 39 sec or something.

There should be some explanation for this. I refuse to believe this is his form at the moment...

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Nah Froome wants to dominate and humiliate Alberto. He'll never let him get away.

Kreuziger is stronger, they should let him go for gc and aim for stage wins with everyone else. No point in protecting Alberto to get him 6th place in gc.

They should make Kreuziger free from team work at least tomorrow and at Mont Ventoux to see what he can do himself. If he will not be better than Contador he'll become a helper again.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
nikohale said:
Could it be the allergy or the high temperatures in this stage? I remember he had a similar stage in the Vuelta 2012 where he limited his losses to 39 sec or something.

There should be some explanation for this. I refuse to believe this is his form at the moment...

A good steak on the rest day will sort Bertie out.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
What I noticed is that Alberto has been getting progressively worse since Vuelta last year.

yes, it scares me.
And it's always so strange with cycling that we never know what's behind things.

Btw. Roman Kreuziger on his site:
"the first thing: I stay calm, because it was only the first uphill finish. Alberto had a weeker day, but this could happen to everyone."

"we expected Frrome to attack in the first hard stage. He managed to get some advantage but it's not a tragedy.. Tour is a puzzle of all days. That's why we're still relaxed although we could have been better today."

"I felt good and I was helping Alberto till the end. When I saw he was losing his strength, it was clear to me what to do. No-one from our team had to tell me anything through the radio. I'm on Tour for Alberto and I'm sure that he will ride very well on the last - critical - week."

"tommorow there's another hard stage. A lot of people expect some long attacks but since Sky has yellow jersey no-one knows!"

a bit dumb english - sorry I'm on skype talkign simultaneously...

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Aslong as Contador thinks he can win the tour i'll believe it.

He had a really bad day though. Normally he should have been able to follow at least Valverde.

At least we'll get some crazy attacks now, although sky ain't katusha and i doubt they will let him go even if it's from 50 km. They'll directly pull him in.

Right now i'm just hoping that Contador can at least drop Froome once. Will it happen? I doubt it but that would feel kinda good even if he doesn't win the tour.

Donkey said:
yes, it scares me.
And it's always so strange with cycling that we never know what's behind things.

"the first thing: I stay calm, because it was only the first uphill finish. Alberto had a weeker day, but this could happen to everyone."

"we expected Frrome to attack in the first hard stage. He managed to get some advantage but it's not a tragedy.. Tour is a puzzle of all days. That's why we're still relaxed although we could have been better today."

"I felt good and I was helping Alberto till the end. When I saw he was losing his strength, it was clear to me what to do. No-one from our team had to tell me anything through the radio. I'm on Tour for Alberto and I'm sure that he will ride very well on the last - critical - week."

"tommorow there's another hard stage. A lot of people expect some long attacks but since Sky has yellow jersey no-one knows!"

Poor Kreuziger. Does he still think that they have chance against Sky?:confused:

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Nah Froome wants to dominate and humiliate Alberto. He'll never let him get away.

Kreuziger is stronger, they should let him go for gc and aim for stage wins with everyone else. No point in protecting Alberto to get him 6th place in gc.

please give Alberto another chance :)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
nikohale said:

naah i don't think so. He just simply didn't have the leg. He was clearly struggling. 1.45 down from GC on the first mountain is not looking good for his bid for winning TDF. Froome and Porte were too amazing today. They looked like walking on the park on average 8.5% gradient! Kreuziger was great today, he was strong and pacing contador to the finish like. Tomorrow if contador didn't recover, it would be game over. Remind me of his paris nice when he lost his yellow jersey. From now on, we'll see how contador is made off. True champion never gives up. I don't think he'll be happy to just stage hunting.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Nibali will be there as well.

Alberto needs to figure out his priorities and I don't mean jist cycling. He already said cycling is not as important to him anymore, his life isn't all about cycling anymore.

After today's performance, Alberto should seriously consider retiring at the end of year. You are right, it isn't age its just that the drive is not there. I have said that all season this year, he doesn't seem motivated.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Donkey said:
yes, it scares me.

We must remember this is a 3wk stage race. One that Froome has no winning experience, VERY different from your 1wk stage races. If there is anytime to have a bad day, its in the first week.

TRENDING THREADS