• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 397 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
darwin553 said:
And he can only pick and choose the stages that he can be good at rather than look to be good on every climb. A sign that Riis should be starting to make plans for life without Contador...

Why are you so desperate to talk down Alberto?

You don't just throw a cyclist like Alberto out of the window like a piece of junk. This is the man who was the best stage racer in the world for 5 years. You don't treat him like that.

Riis will be out of cycling soon enough anyway.

I mean, there are plenty of teams with no really good stage racer. Not every team can have Wiggins Uran Henao Froome and Porte in one team. As Alberto showed last year he can still win stage races. And I am sure he would have won a stage race this year if he had targetted different races. No Alberto can't pick which race he wants to win anymore but realistically how many cyclists can do that?! Even Froome lost T-A.

darwin553 said:
Even if it isn't this Tour and Saxo continue to support Contador for the win (albeit blindly if it turns out he is not their no.1 bet), could we see in the future if Kreuziger and Contador remain in the team together the decision that Contador becomes the official domestique of Kreuziger ?? :confused:

To put it simply, no.

darwin553 said:
Oh how his fans would be up in arms! :D

In what bizarre world are you living that a rider such as Contador suddenly becomes domestique to a rider whose shown the ability at best to finish top 7 in the Tour, and not even lately? To summarize your posts, Contador should be riding for Kreuziger because he's shown himself to be the marginally stronger rider after a little more than one week of the Tour. With Kreuziger's history and Contador's history which would be the safest to endorse? This really shouldn't be a discussion.:rolleyes:

Edit: It's a fantasy scenario for many but it will remain just that.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
darwin553 said:
Even if it isn't this Tour and Saxo continue to support Contador for the win (albeit blindly if it turns out he is not their no.1 bet), could we see in the future if Kreuziger and Contador remain in the team together the decision that Contador becomes the official domestique of Kreuziger ?? :confused:

Contador might end up riding in support of another rider, but it sure won't be Kreuziger. Someone like Majka is far more likely. Or even more likely it will be a young talent we haven't even heard of now.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dutchsmurf said:
Contador might end up riding in support of another rider, but it sure won't be Kreuziger. Someone like Majka is far more likely. Or even more likely it will be a young talent we haven't even heard of now.

Contador still is in a very good position to get a podium place in the tour, and he won the vuelta last year. And you're already talking that Contador will be a domestique? :rolleyes:

Never heard about a bad year?

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
darwin553 said:

darwin553 said:
Not sure Riis will be satisfied with just having a GC podium contending team. He would much rather overall GC, you would think??

If, and that's a big if, he is no long competitive at the tour, he would be far more likely to target different races as the leader. He isn't on the team just for earning victories, but also for passing on his experience. Next year I'm reluctantly hoping he targets the Vuelta victory to finally contribute some points to the team. Further don't forget Bjarne's fondness for having co-captains either. If he doesn't have a clear favorite on the team he could easily run with a twin headed attack. The way the rules are chnaging next year though, it will be more and more important to aproach all the GT's will anger so I doubt Alberto will be short of a target for the rest of his time at Saxo.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Guys we are talking about the guy that has won all the 3 GTs and 7 GTs in total with numerous stage races, etc... not even Evans that has won almost nothing compared to Contador and far more old that him, is working as a domestique for anyone... so WTF is going on with you? are you on drugs or are you logging into the forum drunk or somethign? hahaha

I'm pretty sure that Alberto has another 2 TDF in his legs or even another double Giro - Vuelta in his legs... for me would be really nice if he concentrate in the Giro - Vuelta double until the end of his career, Tour is nice but Giro and Vuelta always have a more entertaining parcours and way of racing... just a thought...

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Miburo said:
Contador still is in a very good position to get a podium place in the tour, and he won the vuelta last year. And you're already talking that Contador will be a domestique? :rolleyes:

Never heard about a bad year?

Saxo have to give Kreuzi a free role at Ventoux and observe what's going to happen. If he gets better, do you offer him still to stay a domestic?

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Cimber said:
Kreuziger will never be a GT winner. At least not a Tour winner.

I'm not so sure about that. When Kreuziger is in his 30s, I think he will have a better chance. We are seeing so many riders these days being competitive in GTs at a later age (30-35). Their is a chance he could pop a win in the next 5-6 years. All it takes is for the cards to fall into the right place.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Cimber said:
I became a Contador fan after his epic meltdown in Paris Nice (in 2009 IIrc). I often find riders more likeable with they not only win big but also lose big. Og and then regarding Contador he never rides for 2nd. He rather risk it all (which we saw in the Vuelta last year).

In that regard I also think I am growing into being a Schleck fan. After his huge downfall I hope that both he and Frank will comeback to the top. Yesterday gave me hope of that.

Look, after Ax 3 you wrote that it was a very sad stage, implying Froome's convincing victory. Let's assume, Contador would've won the stage and Kreuziger would've finished in top 3-4 (quite plausible given his current level), Froome would've had a bad day and lost 1 45'. Would it have been a sad day? Of course not, because you'd find it normal. Don't you see any contradistinction in that?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
I'm pretty sure that Alberto has another 2 TDF in his legs or even another double Giro - Vuelta in his legs... for me would be really nice if he concentrate in the Giro - Vuelta double until the end of his career, Tour is nice but Giro and Vuelta always have a more entertaining parcours and way of racing... just a thought...

If the rest of the Tour goes like Ax3 went, then deciding to focus on Giro-Vuelta next year would be a good decision IMO. No point in basing your entire season around trying to win one race just to get your a$$ kicked by an alien. But I'll have to see how the rest of the Tour goes, France is still a long ways away.

I'm very interested to see how the ITT goes on Wednesday. It's not pancake flat as everyone seems to suggest and I think AC can limit his losses and move up in the overall (assuming he's not completely bluffing about his form improving which obviously could be the case).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-we-have-to-take-a-few-risks

Does he still think he is kidding anyone? He should stop hyping himself as everyone knows he simply doesn't have it this year.

This process of talking himself up and then failing to deliver has become annoying somewhere around April. Honestly is unfair to his fans as it raises their expectations, expectations i am starting to think, not even Contador thinks he can meet.

I just hope this is a Valverde 2012 like situation and not permanent :eek:

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Parrulo said:

Does he still think he is kidding anyone? He should stop hyping himself as everyone knows he simply doesn't have it this year.

This process of talking himself up and then failing to deliver has become annoying somewhere around April. Honestly is unfair to his fans as it raises their expectations, expectations i am starting to think, not even Contador thinks he can meet.

I don't think he's trying to hype himself up, but just trying to stay positive. Which is a good thing. There's still a lot of racing to come, and if he starts expecting failure of himself then he has no chance of even a podium. Mentally I think he's taking the right approach to the race thus far. Remaining hopeful and knowing that it's not over yet.

Parrulo said:

don't miss the third week. don't miss all the fun

That interview looks more resigned than hopeful to me. He says Froome suffered in the end of the 2012 Vuelta which is BS of course because Froome had done the Tour before that.

He admits the tt suits Froome a lot more.

He says he hopes hell be better in the final week because thats how it always was. Hopes.

He admits to having poor form.

TRENDING THREADS