• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 401 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Forunculo said:
Flo please, stop this madness;)

If he fails at the TDF, he likely gonna ride the Vuelta, not leave the sport.

And then he'll fail at vuelta :( on one hand I don't want him to stop but on the other hand it hurts me to see him struggle like this :( I think it would be good to target some smaller races and 1 or 2 stages in giro and vuelta.

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
If you look further you probably also see me asking if he really said that and when because I found it hard to believe but she seemed pretty sure.

someone on twitter says "froome says..."

though aforementioned tweet-ee cannot provide verifiable source, said tweet-ee seemed pretty sure froome said alberto is not a contender.

"froome says alberto not a contender" posted as fact.

let the outrage begin!!!!

i *love* the rolling soap opera we know as pro cycling - almost as much as i love its sometimes slightly excitable fans.

one thing *i* know for sure: alberto's dad can kick froome's dad's **** with one leg tied behind his back!!! :D

NOTE: this post is NOT intended to be a jab at or an attempt to disparage laflorecita. i just couldn't -ahhhhhhhhh, ok - i just wouldn't resist.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:
LOL, I've lived watching the greats fall and fail for 40+ years. It's better to get it over with sooner rather than later, for Them, not just the fans.

He may still find form and moments of greatness, but the writing is on the wall. Hope I'm wrong, but I've seen it 4 times now....

Let's reverse it.

Did you think evans was gonna win the tour in 2011? Did you think valverde after last year's performance was ever gonna have a chance for a podium in a tour? Did you think Wiggins was ever gonna win a tour after 2010?

95% of this forum would have said "no". Don't write a rider off too early. Contador is only 30 years old.

I still believe that one day we'll see him at 100% again.

Miburo said:
Let's reverse it.

Did you think evans was gonna win the tour in 2011? Did you think valverde after last year's performance was ever gonna have a chance for a podium in a tour? Did you think Wiggins was ever gonna win a tour after 2010?

95% of this forum would have said "no". Don't write a rider off too early. Contador is only 30 years old.

I still believe that one day we'll see him at 100% again.

Alberto is/was in a totally different class than Evans and Valverde.

I wrote:
Valverde is a very good cyclist, but never entered the realm of great. He has 1 GT win. Same with Cadel, still hanging around, was never a great.

Alberto has 7 (or 5) and is a winner of all 3 GTs a Very Select group. The greats burn out differently than the very goods. One day the brilliance that made them great is gone as if a light has been switched off and only briefly shows again.

You have to compare him to Anquetil, Merckx, Hinault, LeMond, Indurain and in my book Pantani. Not Evans and Valverde. He is in the Top Class, not just a very good cyclist. When they fold they fold Hard and Quickly.

LaFlorecita said:
And then he'll fail at vuelta :( on one hand I don't want him to stop but on the other hand it hurts me to see him struggle like this :( I think it would be good to target some smaller races and 1 or 2 stages in giro and vuelta.

Exactly what happened to Indurain...failed in le Tour, failed in Vuelta. Got himself an Olympic ITT Gold Medal (those flashes of greatness that infrequently appear when the light is switched off) and retired. Smart Man Miguel was.

IF Alberto rides the Vuelta and fails it is all but over. Maybe he can do something in Worlds and go out in glory.

I'd hate to see he come back and struggle like LeMond and Pantani did trying to recapture what made him great. No one has ever been successful at accomplishing it; a brief flicker here and there is all.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
Image of captain, which possibly entail not optimal result for the team. If Kreuziger finishes higher, it will affect on Contador's captain status in the team, no?

da fuq? OFC no...

Guys plz stop being so pesimistic and asking for Alberto to retire... I always enter this thread to smile and read good things about Contador... I want to keep it that way... I dont want to enter this thread to be more depressed :(

Alberto is not going to retire
He is not done yet, He is just having a year off...relax, next season it will be different...

I think that He will do La Vuelta and his form will be really different... just wait plz

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
da fuq? OFC no...

Guys plz stop being so pesimistic and asking for Alberto to retire... I always enter this thread to smile and read good things about Contador... I want to keep it that way... I dont want to enter this thread to be more depressed :(

Alberto is not going to retire
He is not done yet, He is just having a year off...relax, next season it will be different...

I think that He will do La Vuelta and his form will be really different... just wait plz

Listen up you, wild uncultured man, you are entitled to consider yourself the smartest out there and ridicule others. Alright, burst your bile out so extensively as you ridiculed me when I said Froome will beat Contador. But you won't be able to run away from the truth. Obviously if Kreuziger finishes higher, Contador will lose his status of unquestioning GT leader. And I don't care what delicate sentiments you feel about that.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
airstream said:
Listen up you, wild uncultured man, you are entitled to consider yourself the smartest out there and ridicule others. Alright, burst your bile out so extensively as you ridiculed me when I said Froome will beat Contador. But you won't be able to run away from the truth. Obviously if Kreuziger finishes higher, Contador will lose his status of unquestioning GT leader. And I don't care what delicate sentiments you feel about that.

Yes I know everything so... surrender to my knowledge, stop supporting Froome and support Contador

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:

LOL I was drinking some water and spit it all out from laughing haha :D

Parrulo said:
Well Contador himself just said he barely is a podium candidate so . . .

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=63793

At least he is finally accepting that his form is absolutely ****ty

Really strange. All this time, through all his bad from through Dauphine even through the first 9 days of the Tour he kept saying all was good.

And now all of a sudden basically overnght he realizes he isnt anywhere near his best afterall. A guy with as much gt experience as Contador?

How much of an idiot is he?

The Hitch said:
Really strange. All this time, through all his bad from through Dauphine even through the first 9 days of the Tour he kept saying all was good.

And now all of a sudden basically overnght he realizes he isnt anywhere near his best afterall. A guy with as much gt experience as Contador?

How much of an idiot is he?

Hitch don't say that :mad:

jens_attacks said:
alberto just wants to keep the terrible skyborgs asleep. and when you expect the least...on mighty glandon and madeleine just like festina in '97 saxo and alberto blows the race to pieces and froomey loses the tour

Ha ha I wish I could be as optimistic as you jens :D but I'm afraid we won't see Alberto blowing anything to pieces except for himself.

Saxo-Tinkoff manager Bjarne Riis, meanwhile, echoed Contador's belief that he will be at his best when the Tour enters its demanding final week, bookended by summit finishes at Mont Ventoux and Semnoz.

"I'm pretty sure about that. I think he's proved that he's always good in a long stage race and I think the last week suits him well, so he has every reason to be confident," Riis said before stage 10. "We want to win this Tour and if you want to win this Tour, you need to be good and we're happy so far."

wise words. the tour will be won in the alpes

LaFlorecita said:
Hitch don't say that :mad:

No seriously. If this isn't a work (i dont think it is, though i suppose it could be) then he either played all his fans for idiots this last year, talking himself up while knowing he wouldn't be good, OR, he really is an idiot. There are tests riders do before races. Riders who have won as many gts as Contador has knows what being in good form for a gt is. Contador knows this cos he has that climb he always does before a gt. Did he not do it this year or did he do it, see his time was minutes off his best but still thought he was going to win the Tour?

check the last week guys and girls:

PROFIL.png

PROFIL.png

PROFIL.png

PROFIL.png

TRENDING THREADS