• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 460 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
airstream said:
Hanging on with Froome, Rodriguez and Quintana. This circumstance anyways allows to attack easily especially for a rider who allegedly didn't see the difference between 2nd and 20th spot. But I don't accuse Contador. Naturally all-or-nothing stance is a beatiful declarative thingy. I wrote he'd value the podium before the Tour.

Wrong again.

The Hitch said:
Either you are trolling or you have poor comprehension skills. Contador is being attacked for lying, not because some imagined greatness you saw in him has disapeared or whatever.

The difference between me and you is I hold everyone to the same standards. You hold succesful cyclists or at least the ones you like, up on a pedestal. If a rider you didn't like behaved that way, you would attack them yet for Contador it's ok because he is great or whatever.

Me I treat those 2 impostors just the same.

Hitchey, taking down one lying cyclist one at a time...this is the old west of cycling forum. :D :D

this is my attempt at lame joke.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
wht's this BS about contador lying? I thought I saw the same race as you guys. I didn't see anything wrong in contador's comments. All he was saying consistently throughout was that he is going to try his level best to beat Froome.

If there was anything wrong, it was bad tactics, errors in judgement, and misplaced emphasis on saxo team to animate the race. If you want to blame, blame Riis. Riis was more worried about Sky, and made a lot of unwarranted risks. Then he forced the team to go for Team GC.

As far as contador is concerned, I know of one thing for sure. This is a man who doesn't know how to lose. Proof is the way he dealt with not winning the tour, and his immediate decision to do TdF next year to win.

btw, when will we know for sure that Contador will be riding worlds?

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
What exactly is the problem here? Contador gave everything. He just didn't have the legs, end of.

Also the amount of butthurt posters here that feel Contador 'lied' or 'cheated' them because he said he would attack and couldn't, need some perspective. Calm down. It's just a bike race. Mrs. Contador (is he married?) would probably react better than some of the recent posters even if she found out he had been cheating on her :rolleyes:.

As for 'he lied about being in top shape'. What's he supposed to do, as the leader of his team? "Oh, sorry guys, I'm actually on awful form, we may as well all abandon and go home now.". You're almost bound to wear a smile and pretend everything's alright in that position. Saxo's entire Tour revolved around a win (or at least a podium) for Contador, if he had given explicit signs of weakness to his team mates, then they wouldn't have supported him as well as they did; they would have been demoralised, they may even have felt angry about it, whatever. Also how would it look in the eyes of sponsors and the media if a rider just gave up and admitted he couldn't do anything but helplessly fall back?

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
If this is the truth, he didn't lie

“Before the Tour, I set my best-ever times in training at Navacerrada and Morquera. I’d never gone as well on my climbs before and for that reason I went to France with a lot of confidence,” Contador told Gazzetta dello Sport. “I was certain that I would win or that I would go very close. Instead, as early as Corsica I didn’t have good sensations and the data was immediately much worse than in training.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lighter-racing-programme-for-contador-in-2014

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Is it too much to ask that people stop quoting air on this particular topic???

I don't get the "he lied to us" nonsense, he said he'll try everyday, which he pretty much did. If the legs aren't responding, not much to do there.

He got beaten by stronger riders, this year. Simple as that.

LaFlorecita said:
You tossed him under the bus/threw him away like a piece of trash, I obviously meant you once supported him and now that he's disappointed you you've turned your back on him. That is not what fans do.

You expect him to do whatever you want him to do. It doesn't work that way.

I haven't turned my back on him. I just refuse to be a hypocrite. I criticized Andy schleck and jvdb for years for their tour only mentalities, I have to do the same for Contador.

you are right fanboys and fangirls don't do that. That's because they lack any objectivity.

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I haven't turned my back on him. I just refuse to be a hypocrite. I criticized Andy schleck and jvdb for years for their tour only mentalities, I have to do the same for Contador.

you are right fanboys and fangirls don't do that. That's because they lack any objectivity.

To be the best rider in the world he has to beat Froome at the Tour.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
You tossed him under the bus/threw him away like a piece of trash, I obviously meant you once supported him and now that he's disappointed you you've turned your back on him. That is not what fans do.

Fans should take anything happening to their riders deliberately and calmly since say when Contador smashed Nibali in the 2011 Giro, the fact that Nibali had no legs didn't interest many people whatsoever. Though, it was quite obvious that he was prepared in a very mediocre way. So I think we should be honest to ourselves and assess the things comprehensively. Sure, 5-6 min don't illustrate a real difference between Froome and Contador. In reality it's much much less [and it is the same self-delusion like handling last year's Vuelta 10 min margin seriously], but when one rider is prepared perfectly [though, I wouldn't call Froome's form perfect too] and other is fit badly, we get the picture we've seen in the Tour.

airstream said:
Fans should take anything happening to their riders deliberately and calmly since say when Contador smashed Nibali in the 2011 Giro, the fact that Nibali had no legs didn't interest many people whatsoever. Though, it was quite obvious that he was prepared in a very mediocre way. So I think we should be honest to ourselves and assess the things comprehensively. Sure, 5-6 min don't illustrate a real difference between Froome and Contador. In reality it's much much less [and it is the same self-delusion like handling last year's Vuelta 10 min margin seriously], but when one rider is prepared perfectly [though, I wouldn't call Froome's form perfect too] and other is fit badly, we get the picture we've seen in the Tour.

1. What leads you to that conclusion?
2. How would you define "perfect form"?

The Hitch said:

You are right. Although I have the impression that with you, it isn't objectivity but hurt feelings towards your favorite rider that disappointed you.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
JimPanzen said:
1. What leads you to that conclusion?
2. How would you define "perfect form"?

Perfect shape implies that a rider evaluates his current capacities in cold blood and attacks when he really needs instead of hugging with Porte at Alpe-d'Huez and trying to drop anyone in 5-6 circles as he tried to do at Semnoz. Froome vice versa behaved like a schoolboy who doesn't know what to do with his strength. With a tighter competition, such mistakes might cost a lot. On the other hand, with stronger opponents he could've ridden differently surely.

airstream said:
Perfect shape implies that a rider evaluates his current capacities in cold blood and attacks when he really needs instead of hugging with Porte at Alpe-d'Huez and trying to drop anyone in 5-6 circles as he tried to do at Semnoz. Froome vice versa behaved like a schoolboy who doesn't know what to do with his strength. With a tighter competition, such mistakes might cost a lot. On the other hand, with stronger opponents he could've ridden differently surely.

Oh so, perfect form for you is not only the physical capability at that moment, but also freshness in mind and tactical skills? I see. Because from a physical point of view, I doubt that Froome can be much better. I'm not ruling out slight improvements, but certainly big leaps forward.

The Hitch said:

Yea because I've never criticized Contador of course :rolleyes:

Now all of a sudden the problem is a tour only mentality? While first it was him "lying" to us? Sorry Hitch I can't take you seriously anymore.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Lol. Forgive Contador for this perfomance, guys. It's rather about you, whose expectations from expected and real didn't coincide hugely, than about him. Sport presents disappointments every once in awhile. It's normal.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i just went back and checked the OP by flo. its just 1 yr and 5 months.

The froome thread in a year has managed only @2000.

So does it mean that contador is the most popular rider in the peloton?:confused:

TRENDING THREADS