• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 529 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
LaFlorecita said:
Well that is exactly what happened last year ;) but now even Riis is hyping him up. "He looks sharp and I know for a fact that he is" hmmmm :eek: I guess Riis would know :eek:

Picture them all saying, "ya, Contador just doesn't have it anymore....he can't peak as well, when in top form he's just not as strong..." Of course he's gonna say how great he feels. That's what he is suppose to say.

Only Tinkov will say what's really on his mind. :D So if he is happy, then we can all be happy....and hey, I want to see Contador rip things up.

LaFlorecita said:
However, he could just say nothing like last year. The Saxo news letter is actively hyping him. They could also say something along the lines "tomorrow is an important day, we hope Alberto does well" etc

I think this is an example of the difference between Riis managed team and Tinkoff managed team. Basically Oleg is trying to motivate Contador through pressure--as if the guy needs more pressure. I expect him to do well today, not sure if he wins, but I expect him to do well.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Publicus said:
I think this is an example of the difference between Riis managed team and Tinkoff managed team. Basically Oleg is trying to motivate Contador through pressure--as if the guy needs more pressure. I expect him to do well today, not sure if he wins, but I expect him to do well.

to be fair, he got paid tons of money. So it's pretty much come in with the territory. If he buckles under pressure then he shouldn't be the leader. Right now, we are all nervous hearing that kind of pressure talk it's because of Contador's form last year. Afraid that we will be disappointed again this year. But hey, prevailing pressure and coping with expectation are what defines a champion. So throw him as big as gauntlet you can find...:p

Jelantik said:
to be fair, he got paid tons of money. So it's pretty much come in with the territory. If he buckles under pressure then he shouldn't be the leader. Right now, we are all nervous hearing that kind of pressure talk it's because of Contador's form last year. Afraid that we will be disappointed again this year. But hey, prevailing pressure and coping with expectation are what defines a champion. So throw him as big as gauntlet you can find...:p

I totally agree with this. I was just attempting to explain the difference in the press release language out of Tinkoff Saxo this year, compared to last. You're absolutely right, everything rests on his shoulders. As for whether we will be disappointed, I won't be if he gives it everything he has--which means we'll be in for some spectacular racing in a number of races. If that doesn't produce victories so be it. What was disappointing (to me) was that he never looked like his old self. His attacks were fruitless endeavors--the soul was willing but the body couldn't deliver. If he puts it all together again and doesn't win, I will not be disappointed.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
HE PREVAILS!!!!!.... pressure or no pressure. He handle the pressure and delivered. If he starts to get win,.. I hope it becomes easier to win.. Pfuuuuuhhhh....... I was hoping kreuziger won it to. He looks good.

I was just wondering why when kreuziger started circling... contador didn't go with him? Kwiat was in dificulties. They more worry about winning the stage, I assume? Not that I'm complaing.. a win is a win. Great team work.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
I don't understand why Quintana didn't pull through once he and Alberto were clear. It was obvious that Contador wouldn't pull with Kreuziger up the road.

they both might already on the limits.. and the cat and mouse helps them take a little rest, maybe?

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
interesting to see what happens tomorrow..

I hope Kwia cracks on lanciano, cause I dont think Berto will get enough time on that wall. He needs like 30 seconds more at least.

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
This is a new Contador thats for sure, he is clearly more confident winning breads confidence he will be a danger becuase he as heart of a lion, BUT it's still early but clearly he is a lock for podium in the TDF for me, is he riding Catalunya?

Think he should beat Froome in Catalunya i no he was riding it but not sure, i want to see them race in same race so we have some answers, big mention to Porte and Kreuziger who were both very strong and not far from Contador's level.:D

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Jelantik said:
HE PREVAILS!!!!!.... pressure or no pressure. He handle the pressure and delivered. If he starts to get win,.. I hope it becomes easier to win.. Pfuuuuuhhhh....... I was hoping kreuziger won it to. He looks good.

I was just wondering why when kreuziger started circling... contador didn't go with him? Kwiat was in dificulties. They more worry about winning the stage, I assume? Not that I'm complaing.. a win is a win. Great team work.

Yes i agree about your last part, Porte tried winning the Tirreno today Saxo went for the safe option as Kwia would have had to crack for Porte to win he was going close too though wasn't he.

Contador stronger than last year. Still not 07 or 09 but strong enough today.

Will say this though, he has never had a weapon like Roman Kreuziger. In fact, I don't know if anyone has in some time.
Of course Froome 2012 and Porte 2013 were stronger domestiques, but all they did was ride in a train, and in the case of Froome he only did it for a couple of races and didn't like his leader.
Contador and Kreuziger is 2nd year now, Kreuziger seems loyal, they use him in all manner of ways.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
TANK91 said:
Think he should beat Froome in Catalunya i no he was riding it but not sure, i want to see them race in same race so we have some answers, big mention to Porte and Kreuziger who were both very strong and not far from Contador's level.:D

Froome is riding Catalunya and so does Contador. Porte might be, dunno. But today quintana has the edge against porte. Yeah, yeah, porte pulls, but quintana attacks too.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Contador stronger than last year. Still not 07 or 09 but strong enough today.

Will say this though, he has never had a weapon like Roman Kreuziger. In fact, I don't know if anyone has in some time.
Of course Froome 2012 and Porte 2013 were stronger domestiques, but all they did was ride in a train, and in the case of Froome he only did it for a couple of races and didn't like his leader.
Contador and Kreuziger is 2nd year now, Kreuziger seems loyal, they use him in all manner of ways.

+1. I hope contador, let him win a stage at TDF (if he has the yellow jersey). They guy deserved a props with his attack. I was thinking that Tinkoff might let kreuziger won. But seeing nothing happening until the last km in order to gain overall lead, I assumed that they went to second option: winning the stage.

One thing was true. Tinkoff team really walks the walks, talks the talks today. They said they wanted stage win with alberto and with kreuziger putting the pressure. And today we just saw that. Just too bad they didn't get enough time to gain overall lead.