• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 549 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Arredondo said:
Love it how Contador desperately tried to grab some boni's.

I don't think Contador can drop Purito on the climbs. Today he attacked, but Purito answered really strong, he reacted quite late.

The only possibilty is that he surprises Purito in the sprint, because today Rodriguez rode tricky in the finale.

I think he hoped that there will be a split in peloton that he could gain a few seconds. (Didn't watch the sprint though)

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
burning said:
I think he hoped that there will be a split in peloton that he could gain a few seconds. (Didn't watch the sprint though)

Yeah, could possible be. Purito was 24th, while Moreno was 31th at 6 seconds. So it almost worked.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
he had quite a nice punch in the hill, but it wasn't nearly steep/long enough to make JRod hurt

So Purito wil suffer more on a steeper climb? Uhh, confused:confused:

Purito looked better on that hill then Alberto did. I understand you al like him, but based on the comments here, i get the feeling Alberto was way better than the rest.

Arredondo said:
So Purito wil suffer more on a steeper climb? Uhh, confused:confused:

Purito looked better on that hill then Alberto did. I understand you al like him, but based on the comments here, i get the feeling Alberto was way better than the rest.

?
To drop Purito (or any rider at aproximately your climbing ability is much more likely at a 8-9% incline than a 4-5%)
+
And it would also be nice if the hill was a longer mountain at 10+++ km :p

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Butterhead said:
Alberto Contador ‏@albertocontador 13m
Hard day of cycling today. Cold and snow. In the pic it looks that I'm 10 years older than yesterday! Keep working! pic.twitter.com/tP8BYnSvMU
BjwkgVEIgAAnUTA.jpg

Jspear said:
He's just got to keep that look of "dancing while climbing up a mountain." :)

with that muscle he will. Check out his tigh muscle..:D:D he said he needed to have a more tone on his muscle.. I guess he is working on it.

Netserk said:

tbf that wasn't a sprint iirc he rode away and got caught he was just trying to get over the line at that point. And @trevim he did it when he beat Rasmussen in 2007 and also in the Giro 2008 when he sprinted for time bonuses at the finish at 1 stage and lost only agains Kirchen. So yeah he's ofc not a good sprinter but he's not the worst either.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Probably just to do with what he's most used to. He's a climber (one that stands on the pedals a lot). So he's most used to and comfortable on the hoods. So he just naturally sprints in them.

We could see a similar thing with Cancellara when he was 4th at 2011 worlds a couple years back. He's the type of rider that just sets a high pace from the hoods and hammers away. And he sprinted from the hoods as if he was hammering a hard pace in a classic.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
yep purito closed the gap but he looked damn tired

if tinkov would be a stronger team, on the montjuic circuit, alberto could steal purito's race. he needs the race to be tough as hell. it might happen though, 4 seconds is nothing

tomorrow weather calls for cold and rain. Maybe the last 8 climbs at the end he could do something

TRENDING THREADS