• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 634 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Forunculo said:
IIRC it's gonna be an orange kit, I don't remember where I read it.

Well its good that one team steps up and fill the orange gap that Rabobank left. Will also be fitting since Netherland willl win the World Cup :D

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
There is little doubt that Alberto and Froome are the two strongest riders in the race a lot has been made of Nibali's current lack of Froome in the build up to the race. While I would agree that Nibali's season has been patchy he showed at the weekend at the Nationals that he was coming back to some form. The closer we get to the start on friday the more I think he could have a greater say in the race than at first expected. My theory is based on the strenght of the respective Tinkoff, Sky and Astana teams. Firstly looking at Tinkoff, I feel Kreuziger is a huge loss even though his season hasnt been as strong as last years and they are going in with three climbers who are coming off the back of the Giro although it appears that Nicolas Roche is coming into good form so I would think that he would step up into Kreuziger's place and be last man while Majka will probably ride himself into form as the race goes on. As for Sky I think apart from Nieve and Porte there is a lot of similar guys, in comparison to the two previous teams I think it is their weakest but in saying that Froome at times that he doesnt need a team around him. Now onto Astana, as i have aformentioned Nibali has been off form to an extent this year but looking at their team (i dont think it has been confirmed just yet) but it looks extremely strong in Fuglsang, Scarponi, Westra and Kangert he has good help in the mountains with Westra showing solid form in the Dauphine. While I think Nibali is maybe a level behind both Froome and Contador in terms of explosiveness the strength of his team could well prove decisive.

My GC:

1: Contador 2: Froome 3: Contador 4: Valverde 5: Talansky

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Apologies, 1 Contador, 2: Froome, 3: Nibali, I know I have contradicted my theory but I just feel that Nibali will be closer than his form this season suggests given the apparent strength of his team.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
1: Froome
2: Contador
3: Valverde
4: Nibali

I hope I am wrong and Bertie wins it, and it seems to be a really close call between Dawg and Bertie, but I see Dawg as the favorite (albeit by a small margin). yes, Contador whipped him in DL, but that was after the crash. Before the crash Froome seemed slightly stronger. But a lot can change between DL and the Tour. Crossing my fingers for Bertie though. And crossing my fingers that both will avoid any crashes and that both will not suffer from mechanicals on stage 5.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
oddschecker seems to suggest

dawg
Bertie
Nibbles
Talansky
Valv

the bookie's fav is not AC. tht means he can concentrate on winning than talking to media after every race wondering wht cound had tweeted in the meantime ;-)

Seriously though, i think the battle is going to be between AC and the rest. valv and nibbles are opportunistic enough to suck the leaders wheels. jrod is in the shadows. he missed out on giro big time. he will resurface emphatically. froome will watch stick.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Betting odds reflect public perceptions more than anything. The giro was the only time I ever paid attention to the betting markets on cycling and some of the odds were instructive but others were just strange.

TdF betting will have much more casual money than Milan-San Remo, say, and the odds will be a less reliable guide.

Jspear said:
Contador says that CF's attack on the 2nd stage of the CD was stronger than his attack on Mount Ventoux. :eek: Contador says it gives him something to respect but not fear. :D

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-winning-is-my-only-goal

Well obviously, when you're not at your limit and the guy you're trying to drop is not at his limit, you're gonna have to dig way harder than when Porte just dropped everyone for you and all you have is a dying Contador in your wheel

Cimber said:
1: Froome
2: Contador
3: Valverde
4: Nibali

I hope I am wrong and Bertie wins it, and it seems to be a really close call between Dawg and Bertie, but I see Dawg as the favorite (albeit by a small margin). yes, Contador whipped him in DL, but that was after the crash. Before the crash Froome seemed slightly stronger. But a lot can change between DL and the Tour. Crossing my fingers for Bertie though. And crossing my fingers that both will avoid any crashes and that both will not suffer from mechanicals on stage 5.

My thinking is similar. I think it will be a closely pitched battle. Just to be clear: I'm rooting for Contador.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Red Rick said:
Well obviously, when you're not at your limit and the guy you're trying to drop is not at his limit, you're gonna have to dig way harder than when Porte just dropped everyone for you and all you have is a dying Contador in your wheel

Yes. Contador hang on for dear life when Froome accelerated like a rocket after some casual riding. But if Richie had set a 450 watt pace 20 mins prior to the attack, who knows.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
hayzer114 said:
There is little doubt that Alberto and Froome are the two strongest riders in the race a lot has been made of Nibali's current lack of Froome in the build up to the race. While I would agree that Nibali's season has been patchy he showed at the weekend at the Nationals that he was coming back to some form. The closer we get to the start on friday the more I think he could have a greater say in the race than at first expected. My theory is based on the strenght of the respective Tinkoff, Sky and Astana teams. Firstly looking at Tinkoff, I feel Kreuziger is a huge loss even though his season hasnt been as strong as last years and they are going in with three climbers who are coming off the back of the Giro although it appears that Nicolas Roche is coming into good form so I would think that he would step up into Kreuziger's place and be last man while Majka will probably ride himself into form as the race goes on. As for Sky I think apart from Nieve and Porte there is a lot of similar guys, in comparison to the two previous teams I think it is their weakest but in saying that Froome at times that he doesnt need a team around him. Now onto Astana, as i have aformentioned Nibali has been off form to an extent this year but looking at their team (i dont think it has been confirmed just yet) but it looks extremely strong in Fuglsang, Scarponi, Westra and Kangert he has good help in the mountains with Westra showing solid form in the Dauphine. While I think Nibali is maybe a level behind both Froome and Contador in terms of explosiveness the strength of his team could well prove decisive.

My GC:

1: Contador 2: Froome 3: Contador 4: Valverde 5: Talansky
hahaha this is gooood:D

TRENDING THREADS