• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 659 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
BsLAzLaCEAAcFsg.jpg

ok i watched the rerun this morning but it was obvious to me even yesterday and i'm not a freakin expert
contador probably should have change his bike. his cadence on the cobbles was ridiculous. it was like armstrong on the mountains. you can't do that shiit on the cobbles man. he was uber strong, didn't seem like any bonk to me at all.

his team protected him very well. the fact that he didn't crash and lost only 2:30 is close to a miracle. barring crashes or other health problems, it will be easy task to get the time back...

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Alberto Contador‏@albertocontador·1m 
Aqui con la locomotora @Benna80 ,estuviste increible!Here with the locomotive @Benna80 ,incredible yesterday! THANKS! pic.twitter.com/AvBf1xtSqZView translation
Daniele Bennati and Alberto Contador

BsLChsIIgAA_qK3.jpg

maxmartin said:
that is exactly my point, there are not lots of folks to watch. None of them can challenge VN in the mountains. Nibali only has to keep his eyes on AC. Game is much simpler with Froom gone.

I'm not so sure that Nibali will be with the best in the climbs. Although the route this year doesn't feature so many long climbs, which could play in his favor.

We'll see. I think it'll be all out attacking from now on. Not only from Alberto, but also some other contenders will put pressure on Nibali. And of course Nibali will not only defend, but also attack on smaller climbs or difficult rods/descents.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
No_Balls said:
And as i said, it is to early to predict that. Sure, he might be in good form for the moment, but will that last after today in say two and a half weeks from now?
Could be, but Nibali has quite a good track record there.

There are not that many moments in modern times where a rider has defended the jersey since second stage. Nibali might as well has compromised his form/interests after his effort here.
Again: Could be, but 2012-2013 were also early leads. As long as Kittel is riding I doubt it's too much work.

Well, he better. Don't say it will be easy, but you guys make it up to be a walk in the park (guess it goes in both direction) which is clearly naive.
2.37 is a lot on Nibali, but Ac certainly isn't out of the competition.

All is not lost but there is a mountain to climb! Alberto will never give up that is for sure. He and Riis will come up with some amazing tactics to take it to the competition. There are quite a few to dispense with not just Nibs. If there is any bike rider on the face of the earth that can come back from this deficit it is Berto :)

As anyone who follows this forum knows Alberto is my first love and Nibali my second. Therefore I am in the unique position of being happy no matter which one wins :) Today I'm smiling for Nibali but want a mano a mano battle with Alberto. I'm sure Alberto will not disappoint :)

Franklin said:
Could be, but Nibali has quite a good track record there.

Not in the around-AC-2011-GT area and if the word is true i can easily see him (Nibali) lose 1-1/2 minute only at Hautacam, Grossglockner-style. People are too guided by their emotions from yesterday that it clouds their judgement.

I´ll think AC wins the whole shebang with 2-3 minutes to spare.

2.37 is a lot on Nibali, but Ac certainly isn't out of the competition.

We have a helluva race to look forward to :cool: Let me say that i wasnt comfortable yesterday (as in i would have prefered him to stay within a more slender margin) but not that devastated either. First of all because of some awesome racing yesterday and second what it means for the overall.

Laflorecita said:
Lol, he probably just meant it won't be a battle between him and Froome, but it sounds like he isn't expecting a battle at all I hope he's right

I know :cool:

LaFlorecita said:
I don't think he had any mechanical troubles. It's just something Riis makes up. He's done it every single time Contador did badly over the past few years. Every single time it was either a hunger flat or a mechanical. Sure.

and apparently Riis makes him say these things, too ! " ...I had blocked gears because they were full of mud and I couldn't not use them so I lost lots of time," he explained. "But the important thing is that I haven't fallen off. Nibali did well – he was in exactly the right place at the right time." :rolleyes:

ggusta said:
and apparently Riis makes him say these things, too ! " ...I had blocked gears because they were full of mud and I couldn't not use them so I lost lots of time," he explained. "But the important thing is that I haven't fallen off. Nibali did well – he was in exactly the right place at the right time." :rolleyes:

Judged by his cadence it does make sense.

How come no other riders had mud in their gears ??
Why not have mud guards

Also why not swap bike with Bennati or Roche (who crashed at 20km)

I think Kelly is right ....Alberto had problem with his gears at the very end but lost the initial time because he did not want to risk going quickly on the pave ....

inthepink said:
How come no other riders had mud in their gears ??
Why not have mud guards

Also why not swap bike with Bennati or Roche (who crashed at 20km)

I think Kelly is right ....Alberto had problem with his gears at the very end but lost the initial time because he did not want to risk going quickly on the pave ....

I think he was talking about the last 20 or so km

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
that is exactly my point, there are not lots of folks to watch. None of them can challenge VN in the mountains. Nibali only has to keep his eyes on AC. Game is much simpler with Froom gone.

hear hear :p. If contador ended up finishing with nibali, i bet everyone would start rooting other riders because it's going to one person race before we goes to the third week. Now with he lost 2:30, it makes the race more interesting. Again, I like Nibali, but i don't think he'll be able to keep up with Contador in the mountain.

Jelantik said:
hear hear :p. If contador ended up finishing with nibali, i bet everyone would start rooting other riders because it's going to one person race before we goes to the third week. Now with he lost 2:30, it makes the race more interesting. Again, I like Nibali, but i don't think he'll be able to keep up with Contador in the mountain.
The race will indeed be very interesting because none of the riders with hope for top GC placing can afford to rely on the stages that favor their strengths only. Alberto must do what Nibali has done already: use any opportunity to take action. He has done that before by striking when he was not expected to. The mountains and the TT are not the only place he can make a difference, and neither can the others ahead of him on GC

^^^I chuckled a little when I heard that as well (methinks a lot of wishful thinking). I suspect folks are reading too much into what happened yesterday. We'll see on Monday whether he's missing something (he certainly doesn't talk like that is the case). Tough loss of Hernandez, but I think Contador will persevere.

TRENDING THREADS