• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 654 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Rollthedice said:
It is far from over. In fact, 15 stages left and a ride on Champs Elysees. It's gonna be fun now that the alien is out. Some real bike racing to follow. Contador has everyhting that he needs to take the fight to Paris. Let's see what happens after this weekend.

To be honest it's much better without Froome. Be much better racing with Nibali and Contador actually racing.

infeXio said:
"Hoy fue un dia de supervivencia, perdí tiempo con grandes corredores de la general pero sali vivo y sin caidas. El Tour de Francia empieza ahora!!!
Today was a surviving day,I lost time with very big riders at GC, but I'm still alive and without crashes. The Tour de France start now!!!"

Sounds motivated!

Great.

Now what looked on paper to be a possibly quite dull Tour (with Froome crashed) has after Nibalis legendary ride in yellow turned out to be one possibly monumental fight. And still not even a whole week into it.

Nibbles saw this day as the possiblity of further his advances before we hit the mountains. Soon it will be ACs turn to advance his.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
trevim said:
So now it's Contador fault that Froome crashed 15 times? Hilarious ;)

You don't understand, i prob explained it poorly. I'm just saying that since froome crashes out it would normally be pretty boring without froome but now Contador lost a good amount of time on Nibali. Which still makes this race exciting.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Miburo said:
It's simple, if Contador can't get back 2.40 on Nibali in the mountains he doesn't deserve to win this tour.

It's that simple, he would have never been able to beat froome then. I see his loss as a bit of justice for froome dropping out.

Exactly. In some ways, today's stage has been neutral. According to the bookmakers, his chances to win the Tour are as they were before Froome crashed. It's just that Froome has been replaced by Nibali, and the contest will be about how much time Contador can gain in the mountains and the TT were he is believed to be stronger, as opposed to a mutant power duel.

It's good for neutral fans that he lost time to Nibali. Otherwise he'd have been more likely to win the Tour than Froome was before the Dauphine, ie a snoozefest.

Depsite what some of his more zealous fans would have you believe, it's all about entertainment. Sports are nothing but entertainment.

Miburo said:
You don't understand, i prob explained it poorly. I'm just saying that since froome crashes out it would normally be pretty boring without froome but now Contador lost a good amount of time on Nibali. Which still makes this race exciting.
Oh well on that I have to agree. The "worse" climber of Valverde/Contador/Nibali being ahead before the mountains certainly bodes well for the spectacle!

No_Balls said:
Great.

Now what looked on paper to be a possibly quite dull Tour (with Froome crashed) has after Nibalis legendary ride in yellow turned out to be one possibly monumental fight. And still not even a whole week into it.

Nibbles saw this day as the possiblity of further his advances before we hit the mountains. Soon it will be ACs turn to advance his.

I disagree, it would have been a pretty even fight between Contador and Nibali, Nibali can take time on the descents, Contador time uphill. Now that Nibali has an advantage of more than 2.5 minutes it should be a walk in the park. Contador will still try but will be going nowhere and eventually blow up.

By the way, this is coming from someone who basically knew Contador was going to lose a bucket load of time today;)

Ramira said:
The problem is Froome fractured his wrist yesterday, so he wasn't going to be anywhere near 100% anyway.

too may years of seeing these press releases of how 100% someone is pretty much gave away that he was i nway worse shape than they were stating, i was surprised he started today.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I disagree, it would have been a pretty even fight between Contador and Nibali, Nibali can take time on the descents, Contador time uphill. Now that Nibali has an advantage of more than 2.5 minutes it should be a walk in the park. Contador will still try but will be going nowhere and eventually blow up.

By the way, this is coming from someone who basically knew Contador was going to lose a bucket load of time today;)

Nibali wont take any time on descents unless its raining for gods sake he couldnt take any time on Wiggins in descents in 2012

The Dauphine form is a big indication I dont think anyone who is looking bad in Dauphine will perform well in the Tour like AC last year he lost minutes to Froome in climbs.

Contador's climbing is on par with Froome's and he should be able to make up time on Nibali in the climbs.Its gonna be close,3 minutes is tough but look at the time gaps last year..one bad day in the mountain in the last week you can lose 2 min easy in that climb

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:

Stop with your petulant whining. Anything can still happen and fortunes can change quickly. I'm not saying Contador will win but he certainly still has a good chance if he has good legs in the mountains. It might very well come down to the last TT.

You also have a guy such as Valverde to consider. He will also be a factor.

LaFlorecita said:

Did that take into account the mechanical troubles ? Or did mechanical amount to no impact?

Futuroscope said:
Stop with your petulant whining. Anything can still happen and fortunes can change quickly. I'm not saying Contador will win but he certainly still has a good chance if he has good legs in the mountains. It might very well come down to the last TT.

You also have a guy such as Valverde to consider. He will also be a factor.

Whatever :rolleyes: