• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 662 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
No_Balls said:
So let me get this straight: "someone" at Astana (rival team) said that AC (rival) has peaked to early while this "someone" in Astana at the same time says that their boy is peaking in the correct time, while a main rival is not?

Oh. No. :rolleyes:

The discussion was on the rumor that Contador may have peaked to early that was going around. I remembered someone from Astana (couldn't place the exact name, but was correct it was Slongo) had said basically that before the Tour.

I didn't say I believed that, in fact I think Contador is in good form and timed his peak fine. I was just putting out that perhaps this is where these rumors of Contador peaking too early originated from (I even said that).

SiAp1984 said:
I SO hope that you are right...

Porte, Nibali and Valverde will hopefully be able to give AC a race for his money :)

I know, the last 7 years or so with him has been SUCH a colossal bore! Can't wait until someone truly exciting to watch comes along! especially the last couple of years as he has slid into senility, that 2012 Vuelta, seriously dude, pack it the heck in. Can't stand it when these guys stay around too long.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Lolzzz :D it was funny when Nibali attacked on the final stage, got a minute on Contador, then Contador closed the gap and dropped him :D

You forgot to add that Nibali had teammates with him. Contador was all alone :cool:

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Miburo said:
You forgot to add that Nibali had teammates with him. Contador was all alone :cool:

The thing is It's an entirely different situation now..
Much more at stake, and we know thart wearing yellow for some riders means an extra pair of "wings" (Voeckler for example)

I applaud LaFlorecita for bringing some statistics (was thinking of dooing the same) But in this particular instance I don't think it's very conclusive.. (but of course should be included in the arithmetic..)

My initial take on it, was that I where worried on AC's behalf..
When the show goes down, both will rise the the occasion especially since Nibali has many of the same personal/tactical skills that AC possesses...

The difference between the two is ability..
AC is IMO certainly stronger than Nibs, when the gooing gets "steep"
Nibs however has the opportunity of his life and will ride an extra 10% just on this..
Final result will probably be epic and within a minute/or half..
My prediction is AC, but since he's the one I'am cheering on it's neither conclusive :)

Publicus said:
So it didn't truly matter then because Nibali was dropped? Or because he wasn't at his peak form?

Because it was Dauphine and not Le Tour, because Nibali was still far from peak, doing a training stage race, he was dead when Contador passed him. That being said there are so many hard mountain stages this year that anything can happen. Also the underdawg Richie and Talansky will be interesting to follow.

Rollthedice said:
Because it was Dauphine and not Le Tour, because Nibali was still far from peak, doing a training stage race, he was dead when Contador passed him. That being said there are so many hard mountain stages this year that anything can happen. Also the underdawg Richie and Talansky will be interesting to follow.

lol. ok. that's what I thought you meant. I don't think Nibali's top level is comparable with Contador's. Maybe I will be proven wrong, but if Nibali can't drop Wiggins, he's going to have a hard time with Contador. A real hard time.

Publicus said:
lol. ok. that's what I thought you meant. I don't think Nibali's top level is comparable with Contador's. Maybe I will be proven wrong, but if Nibali can't drop Wiggins, he's going to have a hard time with Contador. I real hard time.

He will ahve birdsong and Kangert/Scarponi with him almost all the way to the finishing line. He doesn't have to follow AC all the way. Just loose 10 sec here, and perhaps 20 sec there. And go for an opportunistic attack on stage 16 and we are set for a blast of a final tt :)

Vino attacks everyone said:
He will ahve birdsong and Kangert/Scarponi with him almost all the way to the finishing line. He doesn't have to follow AC all the way. Just loose 10 sec here, and perhaps 20 sec there. And go for an opportunistic attack on stage 16 and we are set for a blast of a final tt :)

Then he'll have to be really slow :eek:

Vino attacks everyone said:

In some ways I do hope it comes down to the final ITT. Nothing like a dramatic finish. I expect Nibali to use every bit of cunning and guile in his arsenal and Contador to do the same. Should make for some interesting racing.

Publicus said:
lol. ok. that's what I thought you meant. I don't think Nibali's top level is comparable with Contador's. Maybe I will be proven wrong, but if Nibali can't drop Wiggins, he's going to have a hard time with Contador. A real hard time.

With Wiggins it was a long time ago, Sir Brad riding the strongest train since USPS. Last year a little rain earlier in Giro made it impossible for us to see who drops who on Tre Cime di Lavaredo. Anyway since Wiggins will likely not ride soon a GT against Nibali it doesn't matter. Regarding Contador I'm sure there's no problem for him to drop Nibali but he will have a hard time puting minutes in him. That is if indeed Nibali is as strong as Giro 2013 and Contador has his winning form back.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
arvc40 said:
I expect Contador to rip the field to bitz.

He can't be the first to try every stage. I think he should let Porte, Talansky, Valverde (he might be waiting a while on that one) and others have the first try on some stages. Even the second try if the others are feeling aggressive.

It would help Contador's cause if the others weakened Astana's helpers and Nibali a bit before he attacks. They know he's going, so they might just wait it out until he has had enough.

What would not help enough is if Sky got its train going trying to wear out Astana with the hard tempo riding. Astana should have to do *some* of that grind. It might drive away the Astana helpers, but it might not work until too little road is left to make up enough time.

Saxo should not hit the front until Nibali is a bit isolated. That means no Roche or Rogers driving the group until a few others have taken their turns and dropped a few Astana riders.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
UpTheRoad said:
He can't be the first to try every stage. I think he should let Porte, Talansky, Valverde (he might be waiting a while on that one) and others have the first try on some stages. Even the second try if the others are feeling aggressive.

It would help Contador's cause if the others weakened Astana's helpers and Nibali a bit before he attacks. They know he's going, so they might just wait it out until he has had enough.

What would not help enough is if Sky got its train going trying to wear out Astana with the hard tempo riding. Astana should have to do *some* of that grind. It might drive away the Astana helpers, but it might not work until too little road is left to make up enough time.

Saxo should not hit the front until Nibali is a bit isolated. That means no Roche or Rogers driving the group until a few others have taken their turns and dropped a few Astana riders.

Nah, see it is more likely Porte, Talansky, Valverde will ride against AC, without AC they have more chances to stand on the podium and they are ahead of him in GC anyway. lol

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't know about that. Obviously it's a team sport and Nibali's way ahead of Fuglsang in terms of talent. If the DS's instructions are for Fuglsang to attack I don't see why both he and Nibali shouldn't be perfectly happy about that.

For a 2nd GC candidate to attack like that is a defensive move. It get's Nibali someone up the road and forces the other teams to drive the pace. And Astana still have Kangert, Scarponi, Westra etc. in reserve.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
dduff442 said:
I don't know about that. Obviously it's a team sport and Nibali's way ahead of Fuglsang in terms of talent. If the DS's instructions are for Fuglsang to attack I don't see why both he and Nibali shouldn't be perfectly happy about that.

For a 2nd GC candidate to attack like that is a defensive move. It get's Nibali someone up the road and forces the other teams to drive the pace. And Astana still have Kangert, Scarponi, Westra etc. in reserve.

i don't know if nibbles is way ahead of Fulgsang, so far I am very impressive with birdsong. Even on the cobbles, Nibbles is hanging his dear life onto F's wheel. I think Astana wants play if defensively at this point, if AC attacks F and VN will chase, if VN falters maybe F can fill his shoes. Why at this early stage to throw away your second best GC position?